Page 3 of 136 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridge Hammock

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    When you write flat - do you mean flat from head to toe or flat from shoulder to shoulder?
    In this case, it felt flat both ways.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Not too sure what you mean here - do you mean you would close off the head end with fabric in some manner and then sit with your legs out in front of you and your back against the added fabric?
    The head end and foot end is closed in their version. A must to keep the bugs out. I could sit in it like you are saying.

Do you mean using the spectra along the ends of the hammock where the Australian one uses rope? Unless you stitched the spectra all along the edge as the Australian one did it wouldn't work. Also, you would need a twisted rope to hold the stitching in twists of the rope. Braided or rope with a braided cover wouldn't work. Really narrow webbing, probably polyester webbing for the strength would work. The webbing could be sewn in the hem easier than rope and sewn to the fabric at the same time. Wouldn't want to use any webbing wider than 1/2" though. The webbing would pucker along the curve if too wide and distort the curve.
    No I am refering to the webbing they used for the "ridgeline/bugnett hanging thing". I would also rig up spectra to a ring system. I do not think you need anything along the cat edge. I think that the fabric will hold and distribute the force along the curve just fine.

When you tried the JRB version, did it seem wide enough for a pad?
    It actually had a pad in it when I tried it. Felt just fine. It was some inflatable one. I would just like it wider to give my knees more room when I'm on my side.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

slowhike, how do you have your trekking poles attached to your hammock?

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    No I am refering to the webbing they used for the "ridgeline/bugnett hanging thing". I would also rig up spectra to a ring system. I do not think you need anything along the cat edge. I think that the fabric will hold and distribute the force along the curve just fine.
    So how would you attach the spectra to the hammock?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    slowhike, how do you have your trekking poles attached to your hammock?
    to see it best, click on my gallery & go to page 3.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Anyone know where I can find carbon fiber rod/tubes? In other words, I trying find light weight dowels.
    Last edited by funbun; 06-15-2007 at 08:15.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quick Google search turned up some carbon fiber tent poles. Maybe you could use some of these and modify them?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    So how would you attach the spectra to the hammock?
    I'm not sure yet. I really have not put much thought into it. My first idea is to reinforce and make webbing tieouts similar to what is on a tarp. I'll have to do a weight comparison. If I am only going to save an oz, I will probibly use webbing the whole way. But I am thinking the saving will be closer to 4 or 5oz.

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I'm not sure yet. I really have not put much thought into it. My first idea is to reinforce and make webbing tieouts similar to what is on a tarp. I'll have to do a weight comparison. If I am only going to save an oz, I will probibly use webbing the whole way. But I am thinking the saving will be closer to 4 or 5oz.
    I was thinking of tying a double overhand knot as a stop then hand sewing the ends like in the third photo. That way you wouldn't need spectra throughout the whole cat curve. For spectra I'd either use 3.8mm or 4.8mm dia. Spyderline.

From there I'd just use the ring system.

I'm seriously considering this as my next project. In fact, I may be able to use my old 10 x 10 Speer style tarp since this hammock will only be 7 feet ( a foot or so longer than I am tall. I guess 8 feet would work also for storage space.

Images
    I was thinking of tying a double overhand knot as a stop then hand sewing the ends like in the third photo. That way you wouldn't need spectra throughout the whole cat curve. For spectra I'd either use 3.8mm or 4.8mm dia. Spyderline.

From there I'd just use the ring system.

I'm seriously considering this as my next project. In fact, I may be able to use my old 10 x 10 Speer style tarp since this hammock will only be 7 feet ( a foot or so longer than I am tall. I guess 8 feet would work also for storage space.
    I also was thinking about 8 feet. That would make it 2 feet shorter than the ridgeline on the hammock I use now. That has to amount to a good bit of weight savings. At 8 feet I also don't think I will ever have any issues with blowing rain.

The more I think about this I really think it can be done pretty ligt. Provided I could use my treking pole for a spreader bar. I think I would save weight going to this setup. My hammock will probibly use less material, my bug netting will be way smaller, and depending on the way I would lay in it I think I could get by with narrower bottom insulation. I could even make a smaller tarp.

If my hike was 3 months away instead of a few weeks I would be making one right now. Hopefully by the time I get around to making it everyone else will already have done it and figured out all of the issues. The engineer in me will take that and run with it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 136 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast