Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    You don't really need any math - honest - Grizz and I just like to impress the girls, it didn't work when we were young, but we keep hoping at least I do
    Hope springs eternal I guess! Never ever seemed to work for me. Even my wife of 25+ years, bless her, sees it mostly as a vocational skill. I got her heart when I took her out on a hike and made a meal for her.

But it should be plain that this hammock is not hard to make. It's been fun to analyze, but that's mostly just TeeDee, me, and occasonally Blackbishop talking to each other. On a party line!

Grizz

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You don't really need any math - honest - Grizz and I just like to impress the girls, it didn't work when we were young, but we keep hoping at least I do
    It worked for the brother in Numbers...he got that hot girl. Never saw them in a hammock, though. But I bet it would have been fun...

But speaking of that...when does the planning start for a double bridge hammock?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I forgot to take a picture of the bridge in lounge mode.
    I just have two grip clips (so I could move them around) on the end with line fed through them. They then go through the corner rings and connect to a biner on a prusik (ala Tee Dee).

Here are two pics of me actually in it (and you can see how hot it is tonight!)

As you can see I am at a nice gentle angle similar to lounging in a Hennessy folded over. I tried different widths and about 18" seems fine. Any wider and you lose the ability to 'lift' the end up to a necessary height.
    I can sit up, grab the prusik and push it back toward the suspension and I am back into sleeping mode.
    Now I'd like to make Grizz' Lazyboy and see how they compare.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images

Turns out to be much more comfortable for me and I went off to sleep very quickly whereas before with a regular pillow, it always took me a few minutes to get adjusted to the way my arms are folded and go to sleep.
    I hope you have a picture of the pillow. I'm still grasping with how that is actually comfortable. It would also be nice to see a pic of your head actually in it
    Scott

RWE

Images
    I have been using 2 Prussik Loops with micro-carabiners clipped into the loops.

I had started doing this to use the Prussik loops with micro-carabiners for pulling the suspension lines up tight against the ridge line for storage. Works great for that.

I now anticipate additional uses for the Prussik loops with micro-carabiners and will shortly be adding a third Prussik Loop with micro-carabiner to my ridge line.

I anticipate positioning and using the Prussik Loops and micro-carabiners as follows:

Two Prussik loop and micro-carabiners on the head side of the ridge line. One Prussik loop and micro-carabiner would have dual use as storage for the suspension lines and also for adjusting the head side of the hammock double bottom that Scott invented. The second Prussik loop and micro-carabiner on the head side would be used for adjusting the foot side of the hammock double bottom. Having the foot side adjustment on the head side of the ridge line would make it more easily accessible.

One Prussik loop and micro-carabiner on the foot side of the ridge line. This Prussik loop and micro-carabiner would have dual use as storage for the suspension lines and also for suspending and adjusting the height of the floor of the gear loft. I do not presently anticipate that the floor height of the gear would need much adjustment, thus using the foot side Prussik loop and micro-carabiner would be easy.
    This was an excellent idea Tee Dee. I quickly implemented them into my prototype. I have used them for all the things you mentioned (minus the loft). They also work well with the lounger setup I just posted. I tried it out with the adjustable bottom and it works great. You are thinking the same as I in that the foot adjuster needs to be close to the head end so you can get to it.
    Now if I could just get my bugnet......
    Scott

RWE

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Actually it is easier to just jump in and make a Bridge Hammock. They are easy to make - really they are. Once you get the hang of making the arc on the ends, the rest is an anti-climax. If you have something that bends easily and gives you a nice smooth bend, then you are home free - just use that and follow the measurements given in the PDF document available on the OZ site. If you have ever used a sewing machine, or not, they are easy.

I'm working my way around to it; I've got a couple of projects in front of it right now. But, it has been a blast to watch this thing from the beginning!

The math is cool; it's been a long time since I've made my brain try to do any difficult work. Making "penny stoves" with Heineken cans was about as close as I came before this thread. Physics is waaaay more fun with fire.

Images
    Okay Grizz - here comes the stage fright for you - drum roll please!!!!

I was just looking at the statistics on views for the various threads. Of the threads that I quickly reviewed:

The Bridge Hammock thread is second highest with over 10,000 views.

Only the Ring Buckle thread with over 23,000 views beats it.

Now with all of those people watching, the math geeks have caught their attention - well actually the Bridge Hammock has

I think that the Bridge Hammock is maybe getting the attention that it really deserves.

Of course, I then get a sneaky thought - maybe most of those 10,000 views is just Grizz, Scott and I keeping up with what each are doing - no that cannot be true.

Now if we could convince a few to join the fun in creating this hammock

No math skills needed - honest
    Maybe I'm responsible for a hundred views a day......

I was hoping more would join in so we could see more ideas and variations.

Maybe it's a science thing.....
    Like a REALLY cool science project!
    Scott

RWE

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    When the Jacks introduce their Bear Mountain Bridge hammock and the ring/buckle suspension is added, there's gonna be alot of happy campers.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    I forgot to take a picture of the bridge in lounge mode.
    Now I'd like to make Grizz' Lazyboy and see how they compare.
    very nice! version 0.1 is getting one of those.

What I hope you'll find with the LazyBoy is an ability to sit more upright than you can in the lounger....the lounger is better at shallow angles because there's no messing around with scooting the fabric when you move.

version 0.1 is cut. I've got 90" in one dimension and 62" in the other (before cutting, and certainly before hemming). I need 90" before hemming if I'm going to be fully in the hammock lying on my stomach with my arms above my head, and my toes pointed out. I'm using a nice piece of 1.9 oz rip-stop from Ed Speer's shop, chocolate brown is what the web site calls it. I'd call it a deep olive.

I used my personal suspension curve, not that it is necessary but hey I did the figuring once, might as well use it. There is a 12" depth between highest and lowest point on the curve. As before I marked out a curve on lined poster board, cut it, and copied the curve onto the fabric with chalk. As before I used a roller to cut the fabric folded over, ensuring symmetry. Unlike before I pinned the fabric together before doing the cut.

One long side of version 0.0 ended up an inch and a half shorter than the other. Don't know how that happened but I'm being very careful here.

That, plus playing chauffeur for HLH, plus normal evening progenitor duties, and it's an evening.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 08-01-2007 at 08:01.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

version 0.1 first hanging

Came home from work a little early so that I could hang version 0.1 . My goodness, what a difference a foot of fabric in width makes. Whereas v 0.0 was cozy, but on the tight side, v 0.1 is spacious, very very nice. I cut a curve with maximum depth 12" into a piece from a 62" wide roll, length is 90" inches.

My beautiful and talented wife models v 0.1. At 5' 5", she shows just how long it is.

I have no-see-um netting that is 117" wide, from Barre Army/Navy. Cutting the main piece, in one piece, will be easy. Sewing it all together and fastening to the hammock body will be another matter. Here I've draped some of it over v 0.1.

More fun to come.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 08-13-2007 at 22:18.

• + New Posts
  • Page 48 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast