Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Trip Advice for Zion National Park

I would love some advice for an upcoming trip to Zion National Park. My wife and I will be staying at the Zion Canyon Campground for three days in October. We are from Kentucky and this will be our first time in this part of the US. We are interested in hiking the narrows, but haven't settled what else we may do.

Any tips or advice on trip planning would be great. What to do, or what not to do. What to bring or not to bring, etc.

Thanks

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    October weather is mild fall colors. Lodge and the town of Springdale shops dining. Narrows as a day hike is a must don't forget a hiking pole and waterproof shoes most of your walking is in the Virgin River. Angels landing or Observation point. As you enter the park stop by the visitors center plenty of info, maps and the status of the narrows. If rain is forecast might be closed.
    Enjoy nice park to visit.

Zion NP

https://www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm

http://www.americansouthwest.net/uta...onal_park.html

image.jpg
    Last edited by arczeneb; 09-20-2016 at 21:22.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Wind jacket. Waterproof boots. Virgin River is very cold. Walking upriver is a "Must Do"... Hiking poles. Snacks. Hat. CAMERA.

Images
    If the shuttles are still running then, they're a convenient way to see the canyon- hop on and off at each stop and do the short hikes. For your Narrows day- some people rent waders which are high-topped waterproof pants with attached feet, also wading boots and a wood staff. I didn't rent- just went with shorts and trail runners (this was 1st week in May). I carried a day pack with warm clothes for rest stops on sand/gravel bars and did fine. Really fun hike! Angel's Landing is also great if you're not afraid of heights (look at the photo arczeneb posted). If this is not for you, hike past the Angel's Landing turnoff and continue up to the rim for another nice hike. Observation Point is well worth the time also. Hidden Canyon was fun too (one place with a little exposure and another with a bit of scrambling). Don't miss driving up through the tunnel early or late in the day- past there you have a good chance of seeing bighorn sheep up close. The northern part of the park (accessed by driving out of the park and north on I15 a little ways to a turnoff) has some more good stuff such as the various Taylor Creek forks. Google "Joe's Guide to Zion National Park" for a lot of really good suggestions for lesser known hikes. You will want good sun protection and plenty of water for your hikes- and don't skimp on the 10 Essentials if you go off the beaten path.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Why Waterproof shoes / boots? I've only been in summer and once at that, but the water level in the Narrows was far above my ankles. Seems like you would want water shoes or old tennis shoes.
    I believe the rock climbing outfit nearby rented shoes and a pole just for this (though that was years ago).

Definitely jealous of your trip. Enjoy.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    My family visited Utah for Spring Break 2015. Extra Sturdy water shoes, hiking staff and dry pants rented at several locations just outside the park were much appreciated when we hike the narrows. Plenty of others hiked in old tennis shoes but, you'll suffer less with the rentals.

My 16 yo was much more willing than my spouse and 10 yo to tackle Angel's Landing. We were on the first shuttle of the AM up the canyon and shared it with ~ 20 other hikers. Angel's Landing is a GREAT hike 1st thing in the AM but, by mid-morning the trail becomes pretty crowded.

We (16 yo and myself) also really enjoyed Hidden Canyon. When we hiked this trail late in the afternoon it felt as if we had it entirely to ourselves.

The entire family very much enjoyed exploring the terrain east of the tunnel (super cool drive thru the tunnel) on the Zion-Mt. Carmel hwy. We spent hours basking on the other-worldly rocks on the East side of the park. Also not terribly far to swing up to Bryce from the East side of Zion.

Tip: Leave your heavy hiking boots at home. Tennis shoes or lite hikers work best on the slickrock (not slick at all unless you're wearing horse shoes). You will accumulate lots of fine dirt/sand in your shoes.

Enjoy your trip.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks for all the advice! Super helpful. We were having a hard time deciding which areas to visit, but this gives us good direction.

• + New Posts