Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images

Top loader vs the other crap. ;)

I was just kidding about the "other crap". I figured it would get some attention.

I am considering switching to a Hennesy. However...I like the idea of having this to keep the bugs off me rather than the built in netting on the Hennessy. Mostly b/c I like to sit and eat my dinner and don't want pesky bugs bothering me. I just can't imagine getting into a Henn. to eat. It seems like it would be a pain in the you know what.

I DO like that I won't worry about falling out. Not that I am a crazy sleeper but, its comforting to know I am sealed in like a tent. I am no fan of creepy crawlies and I am SHORT so the ground and I form a close bond once I get into the hammock.

I guess I am just saying...I LOVE having OPTIONS. However, if it seems to have a significant advantage as far as comfort...I'd switch over.

I know most ppl are going to be bias and I appreciate your advice but, I really would like to hear from ppl who have tried both. Thanks in advance! Also for those who have tried both...how do they both differ in different weather?

Images

Have both a Hennesey and a Speer...

I have both a HH and a Speer. Both have advantages that the other does not. Having the bug net integral to the hammock on the HH is a plus as is the bottom loading for keeping out the bugs. Yes, the cocoon feeling is a good for some, others feel confined in an HH.

I have two things that bother me about my HH and they are at both extremes of the temperature range. The HH bugnetting does not come off and that is a problem when the temps are unbelievably warm as they were last week Thursday evening in Hot Springs when the temps at 10 PM were still in the 90's and little or no wind was present. I was in my Speer with the bugnet on and the temp in the hammock was uncomfortable. Once I removed the bugnet and found the bugs were not an issue the temps in the hammock dropped by easily 5 to 10 degrees F. Not having the option to remove the bugnet on a sweltering night presents problems. One solution is to fold the HH in half and sleep on the outside (same configuration used to sit in your hammock in camp). This becomes uncomfortable for some because you have the bugnet and hammock on one side and nothing on the other. A comfortable arrangement for a nap but not long term sleeping.

The second strike if you will on the HH is when utilizing an undercover. The fact is that for me it is uncomfortable to pull the underquilt aside and hold it while getting in and out of the hammock. The other problem involves the fact that for me when I weight the hammock the underquilt is while not tight, it is significantly difficult to get the underquilt back in place around me to do it's intended job.

There are things about a Speer that come into play also. Shoulder squeeze can be an issue even if hung with the proper sag if you have broad shoulders. It's a pain to fasten and unfasten the velcro for the bugnet each and everytime you need to get in and out. It's generally pulls loose for nearly the entire length of the side you looosen and get out on leaving you with a large opening when you really want a small or a small as possible to limit bugs in high bug areas like swamps.

So my personal assessment is that for everyday use and thru-hiking I really prefer my Speer and the Peapod to do the job for me. The HH has it's place in my arsenal. One such place is swampy areas or car camping in moderate temperatures.

In a sense for some it's 'six of one, a half-dozen for others'.

It comes down to your intended use and preferences not mine or anyone elses. I'm sure that others have similar or opposing views on this subject based on their personal preferences.

TOG

Images
    I kind of have what you listed. The buggnet you linked was part of my insperation for my bug bivy. I also took a couple ideas from a first one and some pics on Jeff's site.

I like the oversized netting. The Campmor one is pretty heavy though. It is actually pretty close in weight to mine. In the end just know that there are lighter options. But then again, I did not make mine b/c it is the lightest option. I also hate bugs.

I like a top loader. I can lounge and swing. It also gives me more options. I tend to like options.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch of Grey View Post
    I have both a HH and a Speer. Both have advantages that the other does not. Having the bug net integral to the hammock on the HH is a plus as is the bottom loading for keeping out the bugs. Yes, the cocoon feeling is a good for some, others feel confined in an HH.

I have two things that bother me about my HH and they are at both extremes of the temperature range. The HH bugnetting does not come off and that is a problem when the temps are unbelievably warm as they were last week Thursday evening in Hot Springs when the temps at 10 PM were still in the 90's and little or no wind was present. I was in my Speer with the bugnet on and the temp in the hammock was uncomfortable. Once I removed the bugnet and found the bugs were not an issue the temps in the hammock dropped by easily 5 to 10 degrees F. Not having the option to remove the bugnet on a sweltering night presents problems. One solution is to fold the HH in half and sleep on the outside (same configuration used to sit in your hammock in camp). This becomes uncomfortable for some because you have the bugnet and hammock on one side and nothing on the other. A comfortable arrangement for a nap but not long term sleeping.

The second strike if you will on the HH is when utilizing an undercover. The fact is that for me it is uncomfortable to pull the underquilt aside and hold it while getting in and out of the hammock. The other problem involves the fact that for me when I weight the hammock the underquilt is while not tight, it is significantly difficult to get the underquilt back in place around me to do it's intended job.

There are things about a Speer that come into play also. Shoulder squeeze can be an issue even if hung with the proper sag if you have broad shoulders. It's a pain to fasten and unfasten the velcro for the bugnet each and everytime you need to get in and out. It's generally pulls loose for nearly the entire length of the side you looosen and get out on leaving you with a large opening when you really want a small or a small as possible to limit bugs in high bug areas like swamps.

So my personal assessment is that for everyday use and thru-hiking I really prefer my Speer and the Peapod to do the job for me. The HH has it's place in my arsenal. One such place is swampy areas or car camping in moderate temperatures.

In a sense for some it's 'six of one, a half-dozen for others'.

It comes down to your intended use and preferences not mine or anyone elses. I'm sure that others have similar or opposing views on this subject based on their personal preferences.

TOG
    TOG....you sound like an excellent candidate for a Claytor Jungle hammock.

Miguel

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Thanks Guys that is what I needed to hear. I can't sleep at ALL if I am HOT. And I can't STAND bugs flying around and on me. Its just so annoying! Especially if I am having something to eat or trying to rest. So basically I'm going to stick with my ENO and the Bug bivy. I am ok with just a head net and deet when it gets too hot for the Bug net. And as I said, I too like options!

I will pick up a Hennessy to have in the future but, not at this time. Thanks!

• + New Posts