Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle

Hanging Full Length Climashield UQ

I recently completed a full length UQ using MYG kit with 6 oz Climashield. This is my first UQ but it turned out really well, and I also added a secondary suspension to help since I knew a heavier full length quilt would "accordion" and sag in the middle otherwise. After trying to hang it myself and a lot of research here and watching several Shug videos I still have a few questions on hanging it.

It seems that no matter how tight I set the primary and/or secondary suspension I always have a slight air gap under my calves while It hugs my hammock perfectly from my thighs to my head. The secondary suspension helps like it should but doesn't get rid of the gap completely. I even tried pulling it tight enough that it started to compress the insulation, I've tried loosening and tightening the end channels, and re positioning the quilt up and down the primary suspension. The only way I've been able to successfully get rid of the gap under my calves is to put a piece of shock cord over my hammock RL to lift the foot end vertically. The cord over the RL isn't much of a problem its just one more step and adjustment to make each time I hang it.

Is this normal for a full length quilt or am I over looking something? Could it be in part that my hammock (10ft 1.1 ripstop nylon) has to much stretch making the middle sag too much for the quilt to accommodate? If I were to shorten the quilt slightly would it help?

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I have the same problem. I find with a full length quilt, just a little calf ridge ends up making just enough of a gap to let air in. This happens with my DIY and JRB quilt.

You can raise the foot end of the hammock to help, or do your ridgeline shock cord method.

I just ordered 2 dutchware ridgeline quilt hooks. They're like $1.95 each and you can use them to bring the quilts suspension up to the ridgeline without much effort. I'll let you know how they work out when they arrive.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    I have the same problem. I find with a full length quilt, just a little calf ridge ends up making just enough of a gap to let air in. This happens with my DIY and JRB quilt.

You can raise the foot end of the hammock to help, or do your ridgeline shock cord method.

I just ordered 2 dutchware ridgeline quilt hooks. They're like $1.95 each and you can use them to bring the quilts suspension up to the ridgeline without much effort. I'll let you know how they work out when they arrive.
    Glad it's not just me. I already have the the foot end 6in higher on my indoor setup. I'll have to find me some trees to test putting my feet any higher.

The RL clips look like they might help. On my quilt I already added some grosgrain loops that go around the channel when I was making the quilt so it can be laced up as a TQ footbox if needed. They are in just the right spot for my shock cord over the RL. The loops seem like they could be used for so many things and I wish I'd put them along the full length of the channel.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I just ordered 2 dutchware ridgeline quilt hooks. They're like $1.95 each and you can use them to bring the quilts suspension up to the ridgeline without much effort.
    This.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I just ordered 2 dutchware ridgeline quilt hooks. They're like $1.95 each and you can use them to bring the quilts suspension up to the ridgeline without much effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    This.
    I imagine you could accomplish the same thing with a short piece of cord tied to the suspension lines and a prussic knot to the ridgeline.

I wish I had a crystal ball when I order stuff then I could have added some of these to my quilt order. I hate having to pay shipping on all the little doodads individually every time I discover Dutch bling will solve a new problem I didn't know I had. I'll probably get some next time I order something.

• + New Posts