Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    For clarification, Weighted = After the suspension has been pulled taught by a body in the hammock and since removed as opposed to just the hammock/insulation weight.

Pretty much across the board I consider that one must first unweight the hammock from the straps when readjusting buckles.

• Thanks for taking the time to write this. Probably the best review of these that I have seen.
    • Current outdoor favorite: Ti-cinch buckles on 12' dyneema/poly w/adutchable. Fairly easy to adjust after having been weighted. I larks head cl's with spliced on double whoopie hook's.
    • Cinch bugs. Received a pair just this week and used for the past couple of nights indoor only. Super easy to adjust while setting up and equally easy to readjust after having been weighted. This may have just become our go-to buckle. Will have to try on dyneema/poly next. Unlike the ti-cinch buckle, the cinch bug does not rely on a whoopie hook/cl to be a true easy/quick disconnect. Yes I know you can just pull the straps out, I choose not to.
    • Spiders: Meh. In a nutshell, I find the minuscule weight savings to pale in comparison to the hassle factor in using these. Weighted, either the whoopie or cl squishes the strap and makes this thing a bear to readjust. It's just the nature of the beast. For hanging single where one may choose to be less fussy, these may be ok, but I still don't like them. Dealing with two of these side by side in the dark is simply more frustration then I'm willing to accept. In all fairness, I've tried these with both Dutch's early and newest poly straps, but not yet the dyneema/poly.
    • I've never used Dutch Buckles so can't comment.

My wife and I hang indoors full time. While our outdoor experience is limited, we have used cinch bugs on poly, spiders on poly, ti-cinch buckles on poly and dyneema/poly, whoopie (hook) slings and loopie slings, 4' & 5' 3.3 kevlar huggers with Dutch clips, 12' 2.2 kevlar, poly and dyneema/poly straps w/adutchables, cogs on 7/64 and 1/8 amsteel, and finally hammock anchors on 7/64.

Outdoors, our intent has been to backpack but this year we seem to be doing mostly backyard and car camping (group hangs). We hang double under one tarp using a spreader bar, and this changes priorities/needs compared to hanging single or indoors. For me, at the head end, speed and ease of adjustment become more important than saving every last gram. I prefer to keep the spreader bar level, which may mean several adjustments after the hammocks have been weighted. I often find that one strap slips on the tree more than the other, furthering my desire to readjust. At the foot end we can use almost anything, as I find the need to fine tune much less critical.

One other thing that influences our choices is our height. Being only 5' 4" presents issues that tall folks don't have to deal with, at least not on a regular basis. The adjustability features of adutchables vs dutch clips is not needed for buckle type suspension, but since I have a bunch of them I use them. I like the versatility. Only my kevlar huggers have sewn on clips.

For the foot end outdoors my current favorite is 12' 2.2 kevlar w/adutchables, using a jbend directly to the hammock cl. Generally, once I set the jbend, I fine tune with the adutchable if needed. I double up the strap loop in the jbend which makes it less likely for the soft kevlar to pull through and also keeps the strap off the ground.

Footnote on cinch bugs:
    We got these primarily to reduce wear and tear by whoopie hooks on my wife's indoor cl's. Her hammock gets moved daily from it's hanging position. In the morning, she unhooks it from her whoopies and hooks it to mine. This process is reversed at night. The so frequent on/off of the whoopie hooks takes a toll on the cl's, eventually causing some fraying. I recently replaced her foot end after 8 months or so of this activity. While cl's are inexpensive and easy enough to replace, it looks to me like the cinch bug hooks will give the cl's a bit of an easier life. I could be mistaken. My primary concern here is not the cost of the cl's, but rather having my wife potentially hit the floor due to overlooked fraying or sheer laziness on my part to replace them at the first sign of distress. This is NOT a diss on whoopie hooks!
    Thanks for writing this. Probably the best review I have seen.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Decided to go with Cinch Bugs on Dutch's Dyneema / Polypro Straps.

Looking forward to checking them out..... LOVE the FALL !!

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    For clarification, Weighted = After the suspension has been pulled taught by a body in the hammock and since removed as opposed to just the hammock/insulation weight.

Pretty much across the board I consider that one must first unweight the hammock from the straps when readjusting buckles.

• Current outdoor favorite: Ti-cinch buckles on 12' dyneema/poly w/adutchable. Fairly easy to adjust after having been weighted. I larks head cl's with spliced on double whoopie hook's.
    • Cinch bugs. Received a pair just this week and used for the past couple of nights indoor only. Super easy to adjust while setting up and equally easy to readjust after having been weighted. This may have just become our go-to buckle. Will have to try on dyneema/poly next. Unlike the ti-cinch buckle, the cinch bug does not rely on a whoopie hook/cl to be a true easy/quick disconnect. Yes I know you can just pull the straps out, I choose not to.
    • Spiders: Meh. In a nutshell, I find the minuscule weight savings to pale in comparison to the hassle factor in using these. Weighted, either the whoopie or cl squishes the strap and makes this thing a bear to readjust. It's just the nature of the beast. For hanging single where one may choose to be less fussy, these may be ok, but I still don't like them. Dealing with two of these side by side in the dark is simply more frustration then I'm willing to accept. In all fairness, I've tried these with both Dutch's early and newest poly straps, but not yet the dyneema/poly.
    • I've never used Dutch Buckles so can't comment.

My wife and I hang indoors full time. While our outdoor experience is limited, we have used cinch bugs on poly, spiders on poly, ti-cinch buckles on poly and dyneema/poly, whoopie (hook) slings and loopie slings, 4' & 5' 3.3 kevlar huggers with Dutch clips, 12' 2.2 kevlar, poly and dyneema/poly straps w/adutchables, cogs on 7/64 and 1/8 amsteel, and finally hammock anchors on 7/64.

Outdoors, our intent has been to backpack but this year we seem to be doing mostly backyard and car camping (group hangs). We hang double under one tarp using a spreader bar, and this changes priorities/needs compared to hanging single or indoors. For me, at the head end, speed and ease of adjustment become more important than saving every last gram. I prefer to keep the spreader bar level, which may mean several adjustments after the hammocks have been weighted. I often find that one strap slips on the tree more than the other, furthering my desire to readjust. At the foot end we can use almost anything, as I find the need to fine tune much less critical.

One other thing that influences our choices is our height. Being only 5' 4" presents issues that tall folks don't have to deal with, at least not on a regular basis. The adjustability features of adutchables vs dutch clips is not needed for buckle type suspension, but since I have a bunch of them I use them. I like the versatility. Only my kevlar huggers have sewn on clips.

For the foot end outdoors my current favorite is 12' 2.2 kevlar w/adutchables, using a jbend directly to the hammock cl. Generally, once I set the jbend, I fine tune with the adutchable if needed. I double up the strap loop in the jbend which makes it less likely for the soft kevlar to pull through and also keeps the strap off the ground.

Footnote on cinch bugs:
    We got these primarily to reduce wear and tear by whoopie hooks on my wife's indoor cl's. Her hammock gets moved daily from it's hanging position. In the morning, she unhooks it from her whoopies and hooks it to mine. This process is reversed at night. The so frequent on/off of the whoopie hooks takes a toll on the cl's, eventually causing some fraying. I recently replaced her foot end after 8 months or so of this activity. While cl's are inexpensive and easy enough to replace, it looks to me like the cinch bug hooks will give the cl's a bit of an easier life. I could be mistaken. My primary concern here is not the cost of the cl's, but rather having my wife potentially hit the floor due to overlooked fraying or sheer laziness on my part to replace them at the first sign of distress. This is NOT a diss on whoopie hooks!
    if I was using a hammock full time, I'd be using stainless steel locking hasps and 6MM accessory cord. way cheaper, way more durable over the long haul...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow #4280
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    Not everyone is able to do that. I rent for example and am using a garden hammock stand indoors for my hammock. While the base is heavy it comes apart and so can be moved when I have to move out. Overall it also does not require patching holes in the walls afterwards.

I've always found that when my whoopies are too long (it happens), I can clip directly into the MSH with my carabiner in lieu of a toggle. Lacking carabiners, I'd just hang the CL over the MSH with toggle. More often, I'm finding that my whoopies are mostly insurance for when I can't find well-spaced trees. I'll grant you that this requires manual adjustment / retying the MSH, but it's pretty simple and not much to go wrong.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    I've always found that when my whoopies are too long (it happens), I can clip directly into the MSH with my carabiner in lieu of a toggle.
    I actually introduce newcomers to hammock camping using this method; show them how to make the MSH loops in the webbing, and then just have them insert a climbing-rated caribiner so they don't have to worry about any toggles falling out or how they hang the hammock CL on the knot/

Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    Lacking carabiners, I'd just hang the CL over the MSH with toggle. More often, I'm finding that my whoopies are mostly insurance for when I can't find well-spaced trees.
    Caminante is spot on again, as usual; this is my advice and experience as well. I use Dutch Cinch Bugs on 8-foot straps in conjunction with 6-foot whoopies and CLs on my hammock, and I get tons of easy adjustability and can anchor around almost pair of trees, big or small, spaced near or far. I can even add Dutch Clips, whoopie hooks, and a pair of Amsteel dog bones and STILL keep the whole compact, modular suspension package to under 200 grams.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    Decided to go with Cinch Bugs on Dutch's Dyneema / Polypro Straps.

Looking forward to checking them out..... LOVE the FALL !!
    I think you'll like the polypro/dyneema straps. I find them far less slippery than the standard poly straps.

I used the Dutch buckle when I first started. It was a great design, and I have no complaints save the time it took me to adjust. Tried using standard cinch buckles, but managed to shred a couple straps no matter how I wrapped them (disclaimer: I am a BIG guy). After a number of recommendations, I switched to triangle buckles from AHE, and haven't looked back. They're the perfect combo of simplicity and function. Would love to try Dutch's ti cinch buckles, but I can't justify the expense when these triangles work so darn well. I'm almost rooting for them to fail so I can try something new, lol.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Double View Post
    Could always do without hardware and get you some 12-15 foot straps and use the becket hitch. Easily adjustable with no minimum hang distance really other then the trees width apart.

Love the bling but I have to +1 that

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    There's also the Strap Anchors from Butt In A Sling. I use those with Kevlar straps -- ...
    Which Kevlar, the 3.3. or the 2.2? Thanks!
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12