green MN hanger needs advice

Good morning!
    I am new to hammocks and this forum. I live and hike mostly in Minnesota. I backpack with my wife and sons (age 5 & 7) and our faithful dog. My little guy gave me the moniker "Sawg" because I hike with a Saw and our Dog attached to me. I've always been a tent backpacker, but was gifted a hammock at my last birthday. On a recent warm early October night I slept in the hammock under the stars and it was alright! So I'm looking for some guidance to get deeper into this whole thing.

Specific questions:
    1. I have a TNH hammock. It is 10' long by 6.6' wide. Is this an appropriate size? I am 5'10" and 170lbs. I believe this is might be a tad short and a little extra wide, but you tell me. Sleeping in it I was comfy and warm and sort of flatish, but thinking I could (should) have been flatter.

2. Stock suspension is atlas type straps - bulky/heavy. I am thinking of going for 6' tree huggers leveraging the marlin spike w/ whoopie slings to cut down on weight. How should I attach the whoopies to the hammock? I have a photo below of the end of the hammock. It has a triple stitched channel - currently with a fat rope and heavy carabiner. I am thinking I either (A) pass the whoopie through the channel & use a lark's head to bunch it up. or (B) use some kind of small amsteel loop in the channel w/ lark's head, then attach the whoopie via a hook or lark's head to the amsteel loop. What do you recommend?

3. Any instructions on DIY underquilts? or recommendations to buy one?

4. Tarp recommendations? Looking for hex w/ cat cuts. 3 season for camping/backpacking on SHT.

IMG_20161006_065126694.jpg

Thank you!
    Sawg

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome to the forums from Marietta GA. You've asked for a LOT of information in just a little time. I'll tackle your first question and leave the rest to others or your own research.

1. I have a TNH hammock. It is 10' long by 6.6' wide. Is this an appropriate size? I am 5'10" and 170lbs. I believe this is might be a tad short and a little extra wide, but you tell me. Sleeping in it I was comfy and warm and sort of flatish, but thinking I could (should) have been flatter.

I'm not familiar with the acronym TNH, but that doesn't really matter.

You said you were comfortable. That's the standard. Everyone had different preferences and no one can tell you if you're comfortable or not. IMO, if you're comfortable in the hammock you have, use it until time and opportunity provide a chance for a considered and informed upgrade.

As to the rest of the questions you asked, there are sub-forums that are dedicated to these subjects. I recommend some serious time spent reading and researching before you make any purchases. Don't rush it, buy once and cry once.

Good luck and happy hanging!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Sounds like you have the bug. Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

1. I think the size of that hammock is fine. The vast majority of hammocks were 10 feet until just a couple of years ago, when the 11 footers became more popular, and some of the best-selling and favorite hammocks still are. No problem there. I am 5'11" and sleep like a baby in my Warbonnet Blackbird, which is a 10 footer. (That being said, my next one will be 11 just to see what the fuss is about)

2. I think for that type of channel, simply threading the fixed eye of the whoopie through the channel and lark's heading it through itself is the easiest.

3. Don't know much about diy, but Arrowhead Equipment Jarbridge is probably the most affordable underquilt. It is synthetic.

4. There are a bunch of good tarp choices that match your description. Warbonnet, UGQ, Simply light designs and wilderness logics all make hex tarps that should suit you.

The most important thing you can do is make a cup of coffee and watch Shug videos until you have this figured out. His 10 part Hammocks for Noobs series is a great start, and fall down the rabbit hole from there. Here is your first one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZ...752777861C2AA8

Enjoy.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    The most important thing you can do is make a cup of coffee and watch Shug videos until you have this figured out. His 10 part Hammocks for Noobs series is a great start, and fall down the rabbit hole from there. Here is your first one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZ...752777861C2AA8

Enjoy.

Yep, I've definitely found the Shug videos. I've been reading the Ultimate Hang too. Both are extremely helpful (and entertaining). Cheers to my fellow Minnesotan Shug for making these outstanding videos.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft. Netless
    Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug
    Hello from a fellow Minnesotan!
    "These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of everyone of it's members." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hello from Alabama!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Hello from another MN hanger. Looks like your questions have been answered....But I thought id let you know about the Midwest Backpackers group on Facebook....link in my signature. It's a great place to plan hikes with other people. We do trips pretty much every month all year....very active group.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Thanks all. I have the uq, tarp and suspension figured out now. I am hoping to make a bugnet next ala Fronkey. And one day sew a DIY hammock.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Sounds like you are motivated if you got most of that sorted already, excellent! Welcome and hang on!

• + New Posts