WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

Winter hike without winter tarp - worried

Hey everybody, i have dec 26th-30th to complete a hike. It will be in the big south fork area of Tennessee. Now i am a little worried because i realized, as far as tarps go i only have the following:

Warbonnet superfly
    OES deluxe spinn

I have no doors! I want to hear some opinions about everybody thinks about attempting the hike without a door mod.

If anyone can make, or has doors for sale for one of the tarps listed above and can get them to me before the 26th, please let me know. I will pay next day shipping on it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Do you hike with a poncho? You can rig it up as an endcap via this method.

You should only really need to block wind on one end if you are careful about site selection.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

no doors for you but what trails are you doing in BSF. There is a chance I will be up there on the 27th until the 29th or the 30th
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    http://www.n2trailhiking.com/HikePag...spx?HikeID=702

thats the hike i am currently considering m8, until i find something better, still searching the internet. My only concern is the car situation, as I am going by myself, I have no idea how i will get back to the car. i was thinking shuttle or taxi, but the only shuttles i can find only take you a few miles inside the park. thats a big ? right now

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Do you hike with a poncho? You can rig it up as an endcap via this method.

You should only really need to block wind on one end if you are careful about site selection.
    I use driducks, and yea as it looks now, its gonna be 100% about site selection. Gonna look for trees nestled against hills, low pines behind the trees I hang from, or whatever I can use. My biggest fear is precip getting under the tarp and onto my insulation. Gonna be tying the tarp low.

Also if anyone wants to chime in, the insulation that I will be using is 2x no snivelers, one as tq, one as uq. Will this be enough? I plan on putting on clothing if i need more. Temps are expected to be in the high twenties to mid thirties.

If any1 would like to suggest a solo hike for 3 days 2 nights, possibly 3 nights 4 days in the big south fork area im all ears.
    Last edited by ikemouser; 12-22-2009 at 00:38.

here are some backpacking loops at BSF. If you have the book Hiking the Big South Fork by Deaver, Smith and Dunan it will give all the details on these hikes. I think you can reach Brenda Deaver at the Bandy Creek Visitor center...423-286-7275

1. Fall branch-John Muir-Laurel Fork-West Entrance...Trailhead Bandy Creek...this is the one you link to and the book says it is a loop

2. Lower Laurel Fork-station Camp-Twin Arches...Trailhead Bandy Creek

3. Upper Laurel Fork- Slave falls- Twin arches...Trailhead West Entrance

4. Middle Creek-Slave Falls-Twin Arches....Trailhead Middle Creek

5. Kentucky-John Muir...Trailhead Peters Mountain

6. Kentucky-Sheltowee Trace......Trailhead Peters Mountain

If you PM me your email I will try and scan those pages tomorrow and email them to you
    Last edited by Ewker; 12-22-2009 at 00:43.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Images
    Doors are overrated. After two thru hikes I have never gotten wet, and I have never gotten cold. I would suggest taking a section of pad to suppliment the UQ. You might get below the limits of your quilt. Just pitch your tarp a little closer to your hammock, but not touching. Other than that just be aware of your site selection as said above. As long as you aren't in a draw where the wind will shoot between the hills, or on top of an exposed ridge you will be fine. Just setup so the sides of your tarp face the wind. Go without the doors and enjoy being a few ounces lighter.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Doors are overrated. After two thru hikes I have never gotten wet, and I have never gotten cold. I would suggest taking a section of pad to suppliment the UQ. You might get below the limits of your quilt. Just pitch your tarp a little closer to your hammock, but not touching. Other than that just be aware of your site selection as said above. As long as you aren't in a draw where the wind will shoot between the hills, or on top of an exposed ridge you will be fine. Just setup so the sides of your tarp face the wind. Go without the doors and enjoy being a few ounces lighter.
    will do, thanks nest. By section, you mean i should cut it up? I also have a 3 season yeti, was wonderin if i could losen my JRB UQ just a tad and slide that yeti in there? Its only around 11 oz, lighter than the pad and should be warm enough. Thoughts?
    Last edited by ikemouser; 12-22-2009 at 01:40.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Doors are great if you have them, but totally not nesessary. As others have metioned, it's all about site selection and how you orient your tarp and hammock in relation to the direction the wind is blowing. Enjoy your hike and we'll be looking forward a trip report and pics when you get back. You know we're all trip report junkies around here.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Err ... what's a winter tarp folks

Sorry

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast