Hello from a Danish wannabe hanger!

How do you do? I'm a 33 years old man from Denmark, who started hiking back in 2012. At first I mainly slept in shelters, and have since gotten a poncho tarp and bivy combination. In researching a new sleeping bag, I found out about quilts and from there to hammocks. I am planning on buying my first in the spring (I'm staying abroad until then)

I'm interested in ultralight, but only to an extent, I want to be comfortable. At first I was looking at Hennesy hammocks and then the blackbird xlc, but I'm thinking I want to go lighter.

After watching a lot of videos (thanks shug in particular!) this is what I'm thinking of getting to suit my ~210lbs and 6'2" frame:

Dutchware wide 11ft netless, either in hexon 1.6 or 1.0 if it comes out by then. Leaning towards 1.0 for the nice weight savings. Whoopie slings or kevlar straps as suspension.

Thinking of the superfly tarp. It's not the lightest, but it will see me through all 4 seasons (plus I can buy it in Denmark! Probably with Dutch ridgeline, either continuous or in parts

My top quilt is en route to me already (a cumulus comforter that will do well both hanging and on Terra firma.)

As for underquilt, I have no idea. Buying from the US makes it very expensive. I do know that eventually I'll want a down underquilt, probably 3/4 for weight. The warbonnet yeti sounds nice and light). Until then I guess I can use my pad.

Anything else I'm missing?

Cheers guys 😁

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

You have certainly done your research. Every setup you mentioned has a lot of fans who can offer tips and advice. Welcome to the forums. Make sure to let us know what you eventually decide to get. Just be advised that buying hammock stuff is addictive.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Marietta GA. You're off to a good start with your research. Keep looking in to the various offerings and you'll be prepared to make wise purchases by spring. Happy hanging!

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    Velkommen til skipper

I'm currently using my hexon 1.0 dutch half-wit hammock with ukhammocks quilts. Dutch whoopie slings and kevlar tree huggers. Planning on getting a winter hammock, hexon 1.0 wide 11ft dutch, once he gets the fabric.

I started with a soddy DD hammock and had some miserable nights in that thing. Then I bought a Clark Jungle hammock NX-250. About 2 years ago I started looking for lighter stuff and I'm now down to a 4 season base weight of 4kg (regular Scandinavian winter).

My next project is to collect a kit which will take me into northern Scandinavian winter, ready for -30 to -40celcius

If you feel the need to get some answers from a fellow countryman, you're welcome to bother me as much as you like

Hammock
    Dream Hammock 'Freebird"
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps / buckles
    I'm throwing in a vote for the Dream Hammock 'Freebird' in the HyperD-XL fabric. Pretty close to the same price. I'm about your size (6' 1" 215lbs) and I've slept in a dozen or so different hammocks. The HyperD material is JUST the right amount of stretch for me (just my personal preference). The FreeBird is by FAR the most comfortable hammock I've been in. Good luck with all your purchases!!
    Train up a child in the way he/she should hang,
    And when they are old they will not become ground dwellers.

Thanks for the welcome!
    Even now, before buying my first hammock, I can already feel the obsession ;-)

Latt: Hej landsmand! Which ukhammocks quilts do you have, and how do you like them?

I'll take a look at that freebird as well!

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghashul View Post
    Latt: Hej landsmand! Which ukhammocks quilts do you have, and how do you like them?
    I had them custom make me both a winter TQ and winter UQ last year in Dutch Argon 67 fabric.

They're super light, but I miss the more "modern" features of the UQ which has been a bit too challenging to get to fit the hammock properly. When I do manage it's an absolute furnace but it's quite fiddly. In retrospect I would've bought a Carolina Reaper from Loco Libre and suffered the extra cost of shipping and toll from the states.

The TQ is outstanding and I've used it both in my hammock and on the ground when I went into Sarek in Laponia in Northern Sweden about a month ago.

We really need more cottage vendors in Europe so we can get a bit of healthy competition to have them stay up to date.

If you like to hang outside of summer, I have to recommend against the Snugpak and DD hammocks quilts. They're simply too cold and bulky for our climat, apart from summer time. Mine are just laying around collecting dust...

Edit: I see they have updated their quilt page a bit, and now offer quilts in Argon 90. So at least they're trying to stay on top of fabric offers. I just wish they'd make the UQ's more differential cut and included a secondary suspension. They're really being on that regard and that's a pitty. Their down and craftsmanship are top notch otherwise.
    Last edited by Latt; 10-10-2016 at 03:19.

Happy hanging!

Cheers!
    I just received my cumulus comforter, it's my first down equipment ever! Seriously impressive! Taking it out for an overnight this weekend.

I'm definitely planning on a down underquilt, I'll just need to figure out whom should make it.

• + New Posts