Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Manuals can be downloaded from Sears. Make sure upper tension is working and consistent. New upper tension assembly is $14. Make sure reverse works. The reverse lever is one of the only plastic parts in the machine and breaks easily ($12). Check timing (eyeball it). Make sure stitch length is consistent. Make sure you don't smell a burning smell from the motor. If it has a reversible needle plate, make sure it is set correctly before trying a zigzag stitch.

There are lot of things that can be off just a bit on these machines resulting a birds nest under the fabric when you reverse to finish a stitch. They like oil. Manual: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...hTerm=15814001

Hammock
    GTSBP until DIY
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter12 UL
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I bit the bullet and bought the machine. It was actually in great shape, and as far as I can tell it is 100% functional. It was purchased from an estate sale, along with 4 other sewing machines. The internals look good, but I still plan on stripping it down and giving it a good cleaning and lube job. There is some fine thread debris on some of the parts, as would be expected. The foot pedal is in great shape as well, and it ran just fine at full speed without issue.

I also could not find the actual manual for this version of the Kenmore 158, so I went ahead and bought both the user manual and the service manual if anyone needs them.

These manuals are good for the Kenmore 158.1320, 13200, and 13201
    "No one saw me come or go, they only know me by where I have been." -c0de-

Eagle Scout - 2000

"These manuals are good for the Kenmore 158.1320, 13200, and 13201."

C0de, if those are the model numbers covered by the manual you got, you are good to go. There are only cosmetic differences among the three models listed. I have a number of the 158 Kenmore models and have been VERY pleased with them. I love how the presser foot has extra room for thick fabrics. Make certain if you try sewing on the moving blanket in your car that you use at least a 16 needle.

Clean, lubricate, and grease scrupulously. Make certain any needle scratches around the needle hole are gently smoothed out (with a fine sand paper) to prevent light fabrics from snagging. Practice and adjust tension on a scrap of your project fabric. Start sewing with the take up arm in its highest position and your fingers holding down the thread tails, and you should be pleased with the results if timing and tension are appropriately adjusted.

Good luck!

John Thomas in NC
    Last edited by j3T; 10-08-2016 at 06:16. Reason: typo

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Don't even bother testing without using a new needle and new thread. Old thread does not work well, and a dull needle will not help you at all. It's tempting to just try it with what may be in it now, but that will not produce good information about its condition.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12