Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm glad I switched to a Hammock

As some of you know, I was planning to hike the northern half of the AT this summer. I was planning to switch from a tent to a hammock for the first time on this trip. I was a bit unsure as to whether a hammock would work well for me. Well, I'm not hiking right now. I twisted my ankle in PA and I'm off the trail for at least a couple of weeks until it heals up. No worries.

Anyway, the first week I had a friend with me and carried my 2 person tent. She left the trail a little north of Pen-Mar, and I continued solo having switched to my Hennessey Expedition A-Sym. The first night I spent in the hammock (ever!) was at Rocky Mountain shelter. The set up of the hammock was causing me some problems. All the trees were just a little too close together, and I was being F#$%ing swarmed by thousands of evil little flies. They were like miniature black flies and they were relentless. ( BTW: Rocky Mtn. Shelter was the buggiest shelter I've ever encountered on the AT, and the water source sucked too....hike on to Quarry Gap shelter. I wish I had.) So, it took me about an hour to get the HH set up, forty minutes of which was spent battling the bugs. I get into the hammock to get a little relief, and it decides to stretch way more than it ever did in the backyard. So I get out and tighten everything up while incurring another twenty or so bug bites. I'm mildly upset at this point(it had been a crappy day on the trail too). I get in the hammock for the second time. The rope slips, and again I'm sagging down a foot off the ground. The bugs distracted me and I tied a knot incorrectly. At this point I'm pissed. I gather all my gear up in my arms and make for the shelter. I'm stubbornly determined to hang the friggin' hammock and sleep in it. I scout the area again, and find a couple of trees that are perfect except for their proximity to the privey. I didn't care, I was half mad with bug bites and stubborness. I get the hammock hung properly and get in. It was FANTASTIC. I slept well, I was comfortable, and only got chilled once, just before dawn. I added my pad and that solved the chill. The following night it rained pretty heavy so I stayed in a shelter. The third nite carrying the hammock, I decide to hang. Again, I was swarmed with biting insects which distracted me and I kept screwing up the knots. I got pissed again, and decided to screw the clean & pretty knots. I lashed the hell out of those ropes, then added a couple of knots, then added some sh*t that I made up. It worked quite well. The hammock's appearance attracted a lot of attention from the other hikers, who had never seen one. "Clocktower" checked it out and even got inside(as I nervously eye the ropes and hope my fury-based lash/knot/made-up sh*t hanging combo holds under his weight). He declared the hammock to be pretty cool and asked where I got it. I think he may convert from tents. Anyway, I had a great nite in the hammock. I slept better than I had since the start of the trip. I over slept the next morning. I was so comfortable, I didn't want to get out of the hammock. I didn't start hiking till noon that day. The following two nights were even more comfortable.

I must admit, I thought some of you were embellishing your tales of hammock induced comfort. I was wrong. These things are way more comfortable than a tent. When I wake up, I don't want to get out of the hammock. It has enough room for all my stuff to hang inside and I was plenty warm with just a bag and pad. I am now a full fledged hammock hanger. I haven't hung in the rain yet, but I'm confident the Hammock and I can handle it. I still love my tent, but I won't use it solo anymore. I'm glad I switched to a hammock and I can't wait to get back on the trail, so I can use it some more. happy hanging!

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Way kewl. Welcome to the club.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Never look back, man.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Great story. Practice some with the tarp before you need it in the rain. The hh tarp work, but leave little room for error in big rains. Most switch to a bigger tarp they tie directly to the trees.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Ok... welcome.... now, quit going back to the ground...

pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome!

Now do a search for a ring buckle set-up and you'll never have to make-up knots again!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Welcome!

Now do a search for a ring buckle set-up and you'll never have to make-up knots again!
    It's about time the ring/buckles were talked about again.
    I'm tired of all this hitchcraft and cleat stuff.
    Caution: The following thread will take you the better half of a day to read:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=buckle

Get yourself a bigger tarp and you will have no fears of the rain.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Welcome, happy trails.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Glad to have you on board. I got a real kick about the lashing/made up stuff!!!
    When it goes over their heads, it really doesn't matter how high it is.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    newbie here, but I have been on the yahoo hammockcamping forum for over a year. I grew up in Venezuela where sleeping in a hammock is very common.

I've only used my Myer's of Maine Mosquito Traveller one two overnight kayak camping trips, but have slept wonderfully and sans arthritic pain upon waking. I use the Byer's of Maine Travelrope.

Has anyone else here used them? http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

sandy in miami

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast