Amok Draumr users near Lake Fairfeild TX?

Hi everyone!

Hubby and I went on our first "real" hang this last weekend. The first night we learned that we hate sleeping on the ground. (Got in too late to find a good spot to hang, ended up sleeping on the floor of a screen shelter.) The second night we decided we'll never camp without the hammocks again!
    But anyway, our hanging went so well that Hubby has claimed we will be hanging out at least once a month from here on out. Ha! However I think he'd be a little more comfortable in a larger hammock. He's a big guy, just under 6ft and snores when he sleeps, so likes to be able to roll around a bit to get into a comfortable non-snoring spot. His Hennesy explorer works for him, but I think something different might be even more comfortable. It's his birthday this month, and I was thinking of getting him a Amok as a present. However, that's a lot of money to spend on something I'm not sure he'll find comfortable. So I came here to ask if anyone who owns a draumr will be around Lake Fairfeild ST Park on the weekend of OCT 28th - 30th, and if we might be able to meet up for a few minutes so he can look it over.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    No experience with Amok but check into bridge hammocks as well....I'm 6'3 225 and have a Warbonnet Ridge Runner...I love it and can sleep in many positions

Thank you for the suggestion! I have looked at them a bit, but hubby really loved the look of the amok, that's why I'm looking there first. If anyone else wanted to stop by and show off their gear though we'd be glad to meet them!

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    If you're going to pull the trigger now is the time while Amok is running their special. If he doesn't like it , knowing from experience, you could sale on here and get your money back. If you wait for someone to loan you'll probably lose the opportunity of the sale.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonGuide View Post
    Hi everyone!

Hubby and I went on our first "real" hang this last weekend. The first night we learned that we hate sleeping on the ground. (Got in too late to find a good spot to hang, ended up sleeping on the floor of a screen shelter.) The second night we decided we'll never camp without the hammocks again!
    But anyway, our hanging went so well that Hubby has claimed we will be hanging out at least once a month from here on out. Ha! However I think he'd be a little more comfortable in a larger hammock. He's a big guy, just under 6ft and snores when he sleeps, so likes to be able to roll around a bit to get into a comfortable non-snoring spot. His Hennesy explorer works for him, but I think something different might be even more comfortable. It's his birthday this month, and I was thinking of getting him a Amok as a present. However, that's a lot of money to spend on something I'm not sure he'll find comfortable. So I came here to ask if anyone who owns a draumr will be around Lake Fairfeild ST Park on the weekend of OCT 28th - 30th, and if we might be able to meet up for a few minutes so he can look it over.
    Don't forget, your husband is near the top-end of heights that can even fit in the Amok hammock.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonGuide View Post
    Hi everyone!

You're on the right track wanting to see and test before you buy. That's one of the best reasons to check out a group hang.

If you can give an IOU for the birthday, here's an option to consider…

While I'm not positive, I'm fairly certain at least a couple of folks coming to the Texas Fall Hang in Fairfield in November use the Amok. In addition, with over 140 planning on coming, there will be many to see and talk about including some folks who refer to themselves as "big guys".
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Great deal going on right now, check out their return policy. 30 days...

http://www.amokequipment.com/returns
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

We would love to go to the group hang, but sadly it just wouldn't fit into our schedule for November. I have to work that weekend, and we're going on a week long family visit the week after, so Hubby is reluctant to go on his own only to have to travel again so soon.

I hadn't heard about the Amok special going on, is it advertised anywhere in particular? I didn't see anything about it on their website. I would be willing to buy sight unseen if the price was right. (I mean, I could always use it myself right? If hubby doesn't fit or like it.)

As far as him being near the upper limits for actually fitting into the thing, that's about 90% of the reason I'd like to be able to test one before buying it. But again, if the price is right, it might be worth the risk.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Looks like the special ended on the 2nd of October

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...cial-being-ran
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Well darn! Looks like I should have looked into this a little earlier. I'll have to keep a close eye out for more deals. Maybe he will have to wait til after the holidays....then again, I do get to steal his old hammock once he gets a new one....so it could be a nice anniversary gift.

Thanks for linking me the page! I did sign up for the Amok's mailing list. So next time I'll be prepared.

• + New Posts