Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New to using a Hammock and a few questions

I am new to using a Hammock and just pulled the trigger on a Blackbird 1.7 DL (Regular) w/whoppie sling and a superfly tarp.

I have been doing a lot of reading and trying to figure the best way to hang the superfly. Ridgeline or No Ridgeline.

I just ordered everything last week but I am hoping to have it by the end of the month so I can practice setting it up and use on a weekend trip I will be taking in November.

I bought the continuous ridge-line from Dutchware but after reading it may not be the way to go with the superfly. (its only 30ft so I wouldn't mind re-adapting it for another use if it would work better. Any suggestions or thoughts?

I also have a Exped Synmat UL7 MW Pad - would this be able to be used with the blackbird (I was thinking even if I don't fill it with air or extremely little it may be good for extra protection and warmth between the layers.

Hammock
    WB BB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ / Down SB
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles
    There's no "best" way to hang it, only the way you like it best. You will need A ridgeline, maybe not a continuous one, but without a ridgeline your tarp will be a sheet of fabric draped on the floor

I hang my mamajamba (same size but no doors) with a continuous ridgeline quite similar to the dutchware CRL and it works perfectly. My best buddy hangs his superfly with 2 ends , one with a dutch hook which clips to a loop and the other with a Dutchware fly., works perfecly too.

The exped will work fine as long as you don't fully inflate it, it has to be slightly malleable to both you and the hammock you stuff it in. I've done the same with my NeoAir multiple times. You will however lose about the thickness of the mat between your face and the bugnet, so the hammock will seem quite a bit smaller, and you'll be less on the diagonal.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are my Tarp Tutorials for some insight.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    Also my Hammock How-Tos......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...752777861C2AA8

Carry Forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    I prefer stingerz from dutch I don't have the super fly but I found I wasn't as happy with the CRL on a larger tarp. I still use one on my asym HH though and its great.
    In the shadows

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Working on design
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use a CRL with my SuperFly. The advantage with a CRL is that, if you hang stuff from it (like your pack, wet clothing, etc.), then you're not putting the stress of that weight on the tarp fabric. If you don't hang stuff from the ridge line, then it's mostly personal choice.

Since if you will have to cut your CRL to modify i would try it first there are a lot of advantages to a CRL centering is one of the big ones. If you set up in the rain and put your tarp up first you may have to fiddle with it to center a non CRL with a CRL you just slide it over easy pizzy. So watch Shugs Videos they are very informative if i remember right he never really liked the CRL probably because of the extra line I don't know and if you are experienced and know exactly where your tarp needs to be then maybe you don't need it. Im 50/50 on the subject i have tried both ways and I still can't make up my mind lol.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FiftyNine View Post
    I am new to using a Hammock and just pulled the trigger on a Blackbird 1.7 DL (Regular) w/whoppie sling and a superfly tarp.

I have been doing a lot of reading and trying to figure the best way to hang the superfly. Ridgeline or No Ridgeline.

I just ordered everything last week but I am hoping to have it by the end of the month so I can practice setting it up and use on a weekend trip I will be taking in November.

I bought the continuous ridge-line from Dutchware but after reading it may not be the way to go with the superfly. (its only 30ft so I wouldn't mind re-adapting it for another use if it would work better. Any suggestions or thoughts?

I also have a Exped Synmat UL7 MW Pad - would this be able to be used with the blackbird (I was thinking even if I don't fill it with air or extremely little it may be good for extra protection and warmth between the layers.
    I'm not big on tarp ridgelines...but if the hammock doesn't have one and doesn't have pockets or a shelf (like the RR or the BBXLC) then yea you kind of want something to hang stuff from. My ridgeline will end up looking like a hillbilly clothesline.
    Another advantage of going with a full tarp ridgeline can be the centering of the tarp is easier. I'm not sure of that setup but i just like a long cord and tie a bowline in one end so i can use it like a trucker's knot and cinch it down once i get it centered.
    I have the Exped Synmat and it's very warm..i've been down to high 20's and stayed comfy...that's about the limit. But i hate it with a gathered end...moves around too much. An UQ is the way to go. I use the Exped in my RR and love it!

Just got my shipping notice. Can't wait to try it out. I have done so much reading and have watch almost every YouTube Video I could find. Already purchased some dutchware hardware and looking forward to seeing what will work best for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FiftyNine View Post
    Just got my shipping notice. Can't wait to try it out. I have done so much reading and have watch almost every YouTube Video I could find. Already purchased some dutchware hardware and looking forward to seeing what will work best for me.
    You'll love it. Welcome to the madness know as hammocking. Oh and stay away from that site called http://www.dutchwaregear.com/ as it will cost you as he has more toys that Hasbro.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    I use a Dutch CRL (40' length for PNW trees) and with my WBSF and its great set up. I hang things from my RL so it works well. You will NOT be disappointed.

My ONLY gripe is that I dont LOVE the soft shackle prussic setup. Sometimes its a PIA to deal with and get the tarp adjusted now that its very worn in. I have been thinking about giving the Tato Tarp Connectors a try.
    Last edited by Burg54; 10-17-2016 at 17:01.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast