Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Cool DIY Xenon Wide Winter Tarp

After making a great DIY asym tarp from Dutch's new 75" Xenon Wide waterproof fabric, I decided to buy two of his Wide Asym Tarp Kits from Make Your Gear. Each kit costs $40 and ccomes with 4 yards of Xenon Wide in your choice of color, along with all the additional components one needs to build his amazing adjustable-ridgeline widebody rain fly.

Instead of following Dutch's instructions, I decided to combine the two kits along with about $10 worth of extra materials to create a widebody full-enclosure 4-season winter tarp with doors made from the remarkable lightweight Xenon Wide fabric.

Here is my result...

Ridge Line Length: 132" (11 feet)
    Width: 140"
    Enclosed Footprint (doors shut): 36 sq ft (6'x6')
    Weight: 25 oz (704 grams)

To make the tarp, I laid out the two 4-yard lengths of Xenon Wide on top of one another and folded them over in order to mark and cut the tarp's profile as four congruent quarters, as per the diagram below. I marked 6" in from each end along the ridgeline and 3" up from each bottom corner, and I marked and cut a straight line to form what would become the vertical edges of the doors. Then I marked 36" in along the bottom edge from the corners and cut a straight line from that point to the bottom corner of each door, forming the door bottom edges. (Nominally, the tarp has a 30" cutback from the 11-foot ridge line, but marking and cutting following this method lets one add the doors to each side of the tarp from two 4-yard runs of fabric, and the ony seam one needs to sew is at the ridgeline.) Between these two pairs of marked points along the bottom edges that form the outside edges of the tarp I cut 4" deep caternary curves (the only cat-cuts on the tarp).

With the shaped blanks for each side of the tent cut out and stacked with right sides touching, I aligned and joined the two pieces of Xenon Wide with small binder clamps every 6" along the top (ridge line) edge. I took the whole assembly to the sewing machine and stitched a French (standing ) seam in two passes, first with a simple row of stitches 1/4" from the top edge, and then, after flipping the fabric right side out, capturing the raw edges from each side inside a 3/8" standing seam with a second row of stitches. With the French seam along the ridge line sewn, I painstakingly folded 7/8" grosgrain ribbon over it and tacked it into place as a full-length reinforcement (and additional rainproofing) with a single row of stitches.

To complete the winter tarp, I bar-tacked 1" Beastie Dee rings to each end of the excess grosgrain at the ridgeline. Then I cut eight 8.5" lengths of 7/8" grosgrain, folded each of them in half, and bar-tacked an additional Beastie Dee into the midpoint of the folded ribbon, for use as perimeter tie-outs. To reinforce these I cut six 4.5"x9" rectangles from some 300D pack cloth and sewed a quick 1/4" folded hem around three sides. From the same pack cloth, I cut a 9" square along the diagonals into four congruent triangular patches. I sewed two of the rectangles across the ends of the ridgeline seam on the underside of the tarp, and the other four rectangle patches reinforced the ends of the two cat-cuts along the sides. I sewed a triangle reinforcement onto the underside of the tarp doors at each corner. Then every reinforcement patch received two parallel rows of stitching for extra strength and security. Next I rolled a 1/2" roll hem around the entire perimeter of the tarp, tacked the tails of the ridgeline grosgrain to the end reinforcements, and affixed the remaining four side reinforcements and four door corner patches with the grosgrain/Beastie assemblies I had prepared previously.

That was all it took to build the tarp -- just under 10 hours of work and just under $90 total cost.

When staked out directly to the ground so that the doors close fully on both ends, it boasts a spacious 36 square feet of weather-protected floor space and is 6 feet wide at the base, with a ridge line height well over 5 feet (63")!

I'll be sleeping in my hammock under this tarp tonight. I am hoping for a little rain to test out the grosgrain-reinforced standing-seam ridge line. Regardless, it was very easy to pitch, and the sides come taut easily with the cat-cuts. It should block wind and blown precipitation like nobody's business. I'm excited for when the colder, fouler weather inevitably returns and I get to put this winter tarp through its paces...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 10-11-2016 at 01:28.

Hammock
    DIY HH Jungle Clone
    Tarp
    Hex12 by RSBTR
    Insulation
    Synth UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetles
    This looks great Kit! Once I get a few sleeps in my set-up, I may have to lobby the comptroller to release fundage for this as the next project!

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    You've created a monster....tarp that is. That is a beast of a tarp and I can't imagine you'll ever have any weather concerns with that in your pack. Looks really sharp!

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Nice looking piece of kit...
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaker's_Turtle View Post
    This looks great...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    You've created a monster....tarp that is. That is a beast of a tarp and I can't imagine you'll ever have any weather concerns with that in your pack. Looks really sharp!
    Many thanks. I hope the ridge line seam does the trick. I am hoping the grosrain-covered standing seam is more foolproof than the flat-felled seam I sewed for my first-ever hex tarp, since I am hoping to be able to skip sealing the ridge line. We shall see later in the week when we are due for another rainstorm...

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Nice looking piece of kit...
    Much appreciated. I am normally a Coyote Brown kind of guy, but the particular shade of Dark Olive that Dutch's Xenon comes in really caught my eye, and it blends in perfectly with my local environment.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 10-10-2016 at 20:37.

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    That turned our great!! Nice build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by atrane21 View Post
    That turned our great!! Nice build.
    Thanks, atrane. It sure pitches easily and provides plenty of space inside, even without side pull-outs. After I've had a few rainy nights in it, I'll look into further modifications, like an interior arched center pole mounted in pockets at the top of the cat-cuts (to combat snow loads).

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    That is one serious tarp!!!! and great DIY skills too. Grats on an awesome looking tarp!!!
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 oz HyperD XL
    Insulation
    New River long
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Your tarp looks great. Still waiting for Dutch to offer a 12' winter tarp kit using Xenon Wide.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by NarlocB View Post
    That is one serious tarp!!!! and great DIY skills too. Grats on an awesome looking tarp!!!
    Thanks for the kind words, Narloc!

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Your tarp looks great. Still waiting for Dutch to offer a 12' winter tarp kit using Xenon Wide.
    Thank you. Actually, you could make a 12-foot widebody Xenon Wide winter tarp with doors out of the same two Wide Asym Tarp kits I used plus about 7 yards of 1" grosgrain -- and it would be even easier to cut and sew than my 11-footer was. If you look at my schematic with dimensions you can see the dotted line that represents the (approximate) 12x12 area of the two 4-yard Xenon Wide pieces sewn together at the ridge line; if you eschew the corner cuts and the cat-cuts I made on mine, once you sew the standing seam at the RL and add the corner reinforcements, you will have a 12x12 nearly square tarp with 90-degree corners;". If you leave the sides straight and add four more side tie-outs, each 36" from each corner on the ground edges parallel to the ridge line, you will have a 12-foot tarp with the same footprint and full closure as mine, with identical headroom and even better weather protection on the ends. Them just reinforce your ridge line tie-outs, roll your perimeter hem, and install your grosgrain/D-rings. If the hardware is the same, your tarp will only weigh about 4 ounces more than mine (I weighed the collected scraps after all my trimming and shaping), and if you go with 1/2" grosgrain and D-rings along the ground instead of the 1" I used, you'll save about an ounce and a half. Flat-felling the ridge line and omitting the ribbon might save you another ounce if you do it well enough to skip the seam sealer.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 10-11-2016 at 16:12.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast