DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Pad in my hammock - Never Again

My wife and I went backpacking this past weekend, a little 3 mile out and back on the Appalachian Trail which included going up and over Springer Mountain twice. Anyhow, due to the hurricane it was extremely windy Saturday night. The gusts had to be nearly 50 mph several times during the night. I let my wife use all my best gear....Clark TX-250, jarbidge 25 F underquilt, and underground quilts 20 F top quilt. I have never been cold with this gear even at 25 F. It was about 45 degrees and very windy and my wife says she froze all night long. The jarbidge doesn't fit the clark especially well since it gaps open on the sides in the wind. I'm still looking for a solution to that problem, but I've never been out on such a windy night so it hasn't been an issue before. Any good ideas?

I had my 11 ft homemade hammock with 3/4 length ridge rest, a 25F down bag, and a poncho liner. I had one golden three hour period where all the insulation stayed where it should and I got some sleep. Otherwise it was a horrible night's sleep. I woke up often with a cold back.. I scrunched up the woobie to go under my cold shoulders and around my neck but this only kept me warm until I drifted off to sleep and moved. My initial plan was to insulate the bottom of the hammock with a doubled over poncho liner held in place with clothespins and use the ridgerest as additional insulation. That didn't work. The clothespins just couldn't hold the poncho liner in place.in the wind and the ridgerest just moved around too much.

So I learned a couple of things, at least for me. 1) Don't let your wife have your best gear - she'll be cold no matter what you do. Just kidding ladies. 2) NEVER, I mean NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN use a 3/4 length pad to insulate a gathered end hammock.in cool windy weather. I know it can be done but its not worth the fiddle factor.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    This scenario is why I love my Warbonnet Ridgerunner. The under quilt fits like a glove and I always insulate for 10-15 degrees lower than the expected temp. To stay warm in the wind you need to keep your bottom insulation tight and if possible cover it with a wind proof fabric like an under quilt protector.

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    ........ under quilt protector.
    +1. I just got to use my new 2QZQ UQP this weekend. Sunday around 4am when the wind really picked up, i didn't have any cold spots with my jarbidge 3/4 quilt.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    I've been doing long 1"-1.5" baffle tubes on the inside of my bridge under quilts to keep the wind out & heat in. Like a draft collar but on the long sides. The weight of the quilt will usually pull it down away from a flat bridge hammock.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    snip... Any good ideas? snip...
    The cheapest thing to try would be a 2QZQ UQP to help seal your UQ to that hammock and give you a little better wind protection from the bottom.

11843338506_63384ba900_b.jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Well, I know about underquilt protectors, but my clark already weighs way too much and in my opinion it is way too bulky. Adding more stuff adds to both of those problems. Also the clark has tabs on it that interfere with the proper drape of the underquilt. So, they would also interfere with the underquilt protector.

Images
    Well, I know about underquilt protectors, but my clark already weighs way too much and in my opinion it is way too bulky. Adding more stuff adds to both of those problems. Also the clark has tabs on it that interfere with the proper drape of the underquilt. So, they would also interfere with the underquilt protector.
    Sell it. There are plenty of hammy's out there that don't have those issues.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Sell it. There are plenty of hammy's out there that don't have those issues.
    I like it but in my opinion it's better suited to car camping than backpacking. The built in bug net,
    top weather shield and storage pockets are nice, but when you include the tarp it's at least 4.5 pounds.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I'm still looking for where you used a pad. FWIW I generally expect to see something about some CCF. Any soft stuffed padding like a woobie will collapse under your body weight thus be worthless.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I like it but in my opinion it's better suited to car camping than backpacking. The built in bug net,
    top weather shield and storage pockets are nice, but when you include the tarp it's at least 4.5 pounds.
    Dang! Them words are blasphemy to Clark fans! I must admit, I look at Clark hammocks and don't see a single thing I like. However, they do make about the only viable two-person hammock on the market (though finding three trees properly spaced would drive me up the wall).

They have a new four-season Vertex VX-2 that weighs in at a whopping 5.9 lbs., before you get the tarp. Add 18 ounces for the Vertex tarp and you're over 7 lbs. on just hammock and tarp alone! But who knows, maybe a honey would groove on your crazy setup.

"Hey, baby. Wanna come back to my hammock?"
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast