Blackbird+Bonefire
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    LocoL/EE/Katabatic
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    A 3/4 length anything is a "no go" for me! And given that the average pad width is 20" maybe 25" it's just too easy to move out of the comfort zone. Pads in general are not a good choice once summer temps are gone (except as an accessory to an UQ).

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I'm still looking for where you used a pad. FWIW I generally expect to see something about some CCF. Any soft stuffed padding like a woobie will collapse under your body weight thus be worthless.
    He mentioned the RidgeRest pad in the op

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Personally, I hate pads, however they are a step up from my poncho liner. I hate fiddling with things in the night.
    I Hang in wwindy conditions often. I never feel secure with a pad under me, feels like it throws the hammock out of balance. I knoe many members love their pad, I mst be missing something. I guess
    that is why we have so many options.

Evidently it is a scientific fact women tend to sleep a few degrees cooler than men. Tell that to menopausal women!
    From trial and error I know my quilt needs to fit closely and have enough attachment ment points to avoid cold air leaks. When the wind blow it steals heat, a firm fit is mandatory. Unfortunately it was a long time before I learned how to keep wind blown moisture out of my hammock and keep my back side warm.
    I do use a old Thermarest sit pad uninflated under my shoulders for ad ded protection (I have metal in voth shoulders, can't stand to have cold shoulders.
    What I am saying is, experience is unfortunately the best teacher.
    Now I love Hanging in storms. I feel so powerful when I am warm and snug, the wind blowing rain blowing, me warm and wnjoting swinging in the breeze.

Hammock
    Hexon1.0
    Tarp
    SP Mt Wilderness
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Marlinspike
    Images
    I took my grandson backpacking and gave him the top an bottom quilts, I used a blue foam pad from Wmart with my Warbonnet socket. The temps went Dwn to 38 with a light breeze and I was comfortable all night. If your set up is questionable and there is the slightest wind you can't beat a sock.
    OldnWay

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    He mentioned the RidgeRest pad in the op
    thanks, found it on the fourth read through. Guess I have to get eyes fixed next. ;-)

Sounds like the wrong pad. I don't use a ridge rest because of the ridges or lack of insulation between them. Also sounds like a bad sleeping bag fit if sticking the woobie down behind your back helped.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Dang! Them words are blasphemy to Clark fans! I must admit, I look at Clark hammocks and don't see a single thing I like. However, they do make about the only viable two-person hammock on the market (though finding three trees properly spaced would drive me up the wall).

They have a new four-season Vertex VX-2 that weighs in at a whopping 5.9 lbs., before you get the tarp. Add 18 ounces for the Vertex tarp and you're over 7 lbs. on just hammock and tarp alone! But who knows, maybe a honey would groove on your crazy setup.

"Hey, baby. Wanna come back to my hammock?"
    Yeah, if I had it to do over again I probably wouldn't buy the Clark. Its too heavy and too bulky for backpacking, in my opinion. However, it is a nice hammock and it is comfortable AND I got it on sale at about half price. It was the only sale that Clark has ever had I think.

I talked with the people at Clark when I ordered it because it was not clear that I got what I ordered (the weight wasn't close to correct) and I was not particularly impressed. There are many improvements which could be made that would make it a better backpacking hammock and I offered them as suggestions. The person I spoke with had the attitude of "this is the best hammock made - it can't really be improved". I'm a design engineer by profession and EVERYTHING can be improved - even things I've designed. I felt their attitude was somewhat arrogant.
    Last edited by litetrek; 10-12-2016 at 11:46.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    thanks, found it on the fourth read through. Guess I have to get eyes fixed next. ;-)

Sounds like the wrong pad. I don't use a ridge rest because of the ridges or lack of insulation between them. Also sounds like a bad sleeping bag fit if sticking the woobie down behind your back helped.
    Read my original post more closely - its all there but you have to read the whole thing. I let my wife use all of my good gear and I was making do with the other things I had. The pad would not stay where I wanted it to be - classic problem with using a pad in a hammock. I'll never do it again.

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    My initial plan was to insulate the bottom of the hammock with a doubled over poncho liner held in place with clothespins and use the ridgerest as additional insulation. That didn't work. The clothespins just couldn't hold the poncho liner in place.in the wind and the ridgerest just moved around too much.
    I know it's not really what you're asking but... next time you jury-rig an underquilt, try using binder clips instead of clothespins. I've been using binder clips since I finally sewed up my UQ a few nights ago, with no problems. Since I hang inside it hasn't had to withstand any wind, however, my cats have done their best to detach all the shock cord they can get their claws on. (Combined, they're probably at least a CAT 2.)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post
    I know it's not really what you're asking but... next time you jury-rig an underquilt, try using binder clips instead of clothespins. I've been using binder clips since I finally sewed up my UQ a few nights ago, with no problems. Since I hang inside it hasn't had to withstand any wind, however, my cats have done their best to detach all the shock cord they can get their claws on. (Combined, they're probably at least a CAT 2.)
    Initially, I had the black binder clips in my hand at the store but was concerned that they would poke holes in my precious woobie - bad call. The clothespins I bought were especially bad ones. They actually fell apart if you pulled on them. I think I would have been fine if the woobie would have hung below my hammock as I planned. The pad was intended to be supplementary. I like your CAT 2 pun.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I always carry protection for the underquilt.

In good weather it is a 2QZQ underquilt protector.

In shoulder season it is a Dutch summer sock.

In the winter it is a Dream Hammock sock.

Cold is an easy problem to solve. Wind is more difficult.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast