Thread: CYB

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

CYB

OK I looked through the diy stickies and didn't see a basic tarp. Am I over thinking this.

I've been looking at some xenon .9 for a 12x10 tarp and I'm curious. Is it as simple sewing a center seam and some guy line tie outs? I don't want to make things harder on my self by trying to do cat cuts and such.

I guess I'm just lost and wanna cover my butt.

Hammock
    DIY HH Jungle Clone
    Tarp
    Hex12 by RSBTR
    Insulation
    Synth UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetles
    Ripstop by the roll has some great info/instructions for tarps. But essentially, it's that simple. Hem the ridge, hem the edges, add tie-outs. Down and dirty.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Yes, it's as simple as that.

(Although the devil is in the details...)

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My grandmother is gonna give me a crash course on her sewing machine. Who better to learn from then someone who's sewed for 65+ years.

Any pointers would be great. I've watched several diy videos on sewing tarp, hammock, quilts, ect. How much more difficulty is there to the cat cuts?

Hammock
    DIY HH Jungle Clone
    Tarp
    Hex12 by RSBTR
    Insulation
    Synth UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetles
    Cat cuts aren't that difficult. biggest tip is to just take your time, and let the machine do its thing. Don't try to force the fabric, and don't try to pull it through (though a little tension is a good thing). Otherwise...listen to Grandma.

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks and I'm headed to check out ripstop by the roll.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Caternary cuts aren't super-difficult. Technically, you can calculate the curve as a piecewise definition using a fairly complex formula, but you can just as easily eschew the mathematics and estimate the correct shape of the arc with paper, a pencil, two thumbtacks, and some string. You decide on the depth, or deflection, you want; the deeper you make the cat-cut, the more material you will remove and the more aggressive the effect of the curve on your tarp will be. (There can be too much of a good thing with cat-cuts...)

Cat-cuts are somewhat harder to hem than straight edges because they demand that you stitch the fabric on the bias rather than with the weave, and that makes its behavior more unruly as you form a roll hem. The deeper you make the curve for a given distance between endpoints, the more challenging it will be to sew the hem. Conversely, long shallow cat-cuts aren't much more difficult to hem than straight sides, but they still give you some benefits in pitching a taut tarp and reducing weight. If you've never sewn a roll hem with slippery lightweight waterproof fabric before, I wouldn't want to perform my first such operation on a caternary curve, as the results are likely to be less than pleasing.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 10-11-2016 at 21:33.

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the pointers. I'll hold off till I'm expert level. Basic tarp it is. Lol.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas_toothpick View Post
    Thanks for the pointers. I'll hold off till I'm expert level. Basic tarp it is. Lol.
    You are in good company, I'm right there with ya. Just starting my first attempt at a tarp after learning some basics. Your grandmother will be an invaluable resource! Good sewing my friend!

• + New Posts