Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle

My Jarbridge isn't working: Least fiddly UQ for a WBBB XLC?

This weekend, I had a great trip: four days hiking the entire 40 mile Maryland section of the Appalachian Trail. And I was dialed in, baby. After years of overpacking heavy packs and bad gear, my pack was light and nearly everything worked like it should. Last year I bought a WBBB XLC and a Superfly tarp.T hey work great. I also bought a Jarbridge 3/4 length UQ. I'll admit that I knew it wasn't for me, but I was trying to save money. I'm a big guy--6'1" and 250 pounds--and I toss and turn all night.

My problem isn't with the Jarbridge itself, but it actually bugs me to sleep on a short quilt. I keep trying to get it to cover all of me, and I can't. And it feels fiddly to me, though I admit that I had only used pads before it.

Price aside, can you suggest a full-length underquilt for the XLC that you think really has the suspension figured out?
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    By all reviews the Wooki!! I don't have one YET, but I have the Lynx for my WBRR and it is perfect and same concept for Wookie w/ XLC

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...i-underquilts/

https://youtu.be/2-MU34O0Vf4

I will say I have an AHE New River Long and a HG Incubator 20 I use with my xlc and they both perform very well
    Last edited by deuce656; 10-12-2016 at 20:41.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    There's one and it was designed specifically for your hammock. It's called the Wookie. Check it out and do a search and you'll see how popular it is even though it's only a month or so old.
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...i-underquilts/

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    The UnderGround Quilts Zeppelin works very well with the XLC with a minimum of fiddling.

The primary and secondary suspension allow you to position the quilt correctly, I use a full length 20º, and then cinch it up so that it is snug up against the bottom of the hammock.

The only mod I make is to use a Dutchware Gear quilt hook to clip the suspension to the outside shoulder. The quilt clip will snap right over top of the zipper nicely. In the below pic I added a pack hook to allow the suspension to slide a bit more freely but the quilt hook is sufficient for securing the quilt to the hammock.

Draft collars seal the ends nicely and the only issue I've ever had was when I overtightened the suspension and felt pressure on my outside foot. A minor tweak, loosening the suspension a bit and all was well.

The primary suspension allows the quilt to be cinched up underneath the shelf and stay in place. An issue I've had w/ other quilts and had to solve with triangles.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Sorry to hear a 3/4 length isn't for you. Luckily those are a very popular UQ. I just picked up one myself but it's primarily for my kids. Were you using the quilt with a foot pad? If you move around a lot I'd expect that a full length might be a better option. You won't have any problem finding a new home for the Jarbridge here on the forum.

Is the new Wookie from Warbonnet in the budget? There are several threads on this new quilt. Of course there are several others: UGQ Zeppelin, etc.

Have you checked with AHE to see if they'll exchange the Jarbridge for maybe a New River??

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Thanks, everyone. I'll take a look at the threads, but it looks like I need to save up for a Wooki!
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislrob View Post
    My problem isn't with the Jarbridge itself, but it actually bugs me to sleep on a short quilt. I keep trying to get it to cover all of me, and I can't. And it feels fiddly to me, though I admit that I had only used pads before it.
    I was considering a 40-50°F "summer" underquilt in 3/4 length. At what temperature did you get uncomfortable?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, theClark5
    Tarp
    JRB 11 x 10
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutch
    I am like the OP. I move around a lot at night and want a full length. Would a Costco DIY (1 layer and 3 layer) full length work OK with the WB BB XLC?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone311 View Post
    I am like the OP. I move around a lot at night and want a full length. Would a Costco DIY (1 layer and 3 layer) full length work OK with the WB BB XLC?
    Sure if it's designed to properly fit and temp expectations are reasonable.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you don't want to flip-flop, the Wooki should keep you nice and warm, and you don't need to fiddle with it. The only thing you need to do is hang the XLC right. Since you cannot move the Wooki up or down, the hammock needs to be hung so that you end up in the same place as the underquilt. I found it easy to hang, though, even with a larger non-Blackbird hammock. And it's 100% more comfortable than any other underquilt I have ever tried. I don't think I will go back to underquilts with shock-cord suspension...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast