Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

De Soto Beach Campground Florida

The wife and I are going to see some friends in St Petersburg Florida at the end of July. I consulted my book Beach & Costal Camping in Florida And saw that De Soto Campground was right in the area. Voted best beach in 2005 .

What's cool is the campground is divided into sections, some strictly for tents, pop-ups, and vans. You can see each campsite before you book it. That's really cool. Here's a pic of our site:

Here's a shot of the campground via Google Earth. The yellow pin is approx. where our site will be (27°37'54.40"N, 82°43'24.59"W if you wanna see it on Google Earth)

Anyway, I was excited about the trip so I thought I would post some info. My wife is going so I will be using a tent to sleep in (don't hate me ). It will be my big 'ol Coleman tent big enough to stand up in (10x12). If you noticed I did make sure that our site had plenty of trees for my hammock. I may not sleep in the hammock at night but I will certainly be napping in it and probably enjoying a Christopher Moore book.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    better check out the regulations before you hang your hammock my friend.
    i hear they are pretty strict about not tying any thing to trees in florida. something to do w/ endangered snails???
    might be time to purchase a collapsible hammock stand<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Bring your camera, that campground is a bird sanctuary and will present many opportunities. Also it goes without saying to make sure you lock up your food, there are hundreds of raccoons there. My wife has a sister who lives in St. Pete and we have camped there probably about 6 or 7 times in the last 15 years.

The fort there is a neat place to visit as well. Wish I was going with you!!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    better check out the regulations before you hang your hammock my friend.
    i hear they are pretty strict about not tying any thing to trees in florida. something to do w/ endangered snails???
    might be time to purchase a collapsible hammock stand<g>.
    Crap. I will have to check on that. I can always set it up behind the tent, where it can't be seen. If they do say something I will claim ignorance and take it down. Endangered snail???

Quote Originally Posted by dsshepard
    Bring your camera, that campground is a bird sanctuary and will present many opportunities. Also it goes without saying to make sure you lock up your food, there are hundreds of raccoons there. My wife has a sister who lives in St. Pete and we have camped there probably about 6 or 7 times in the last 15 years.

The fort there is a neat place to visit as well. Wish I was going with you!!
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping someone else on the forum had been there. We also stay at Edisto Beach, SC every year and they also have a racoon problem. The food stays locked in the car. My wife feeds them . I got some pic of our racoon friend from last year here:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...h/b963464f.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...h/20290132.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...h/3314dcf4.jpg

I will be sure I got some binoculars for the bird watching.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    I lived only about 45 minutes from there for almost 20 years! I cant tell you how many times Ive camped there. You will be very happy with it. While camping in summer in FL isnt usually a good idea, the Gulf breezes will keep it bearable. Enjoy and we expect a full report!!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    I want to go to AMelia Island near Jacksonville! They have wild horses there! It looks beautiful. I missed the ferry the day I was there. Then had to catch a train to H.F. West Virginia. =/

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't think you'll have any problems hanging in the campground. I've been doing some sections of the Florida Trail and so far I've had 3 different wildlife officers come check out my hammock; they're jealous. Not once have I been told about any hanging regulations. That is probably mostly in the wetlands or protected area.

AlHikerGal is right, it's gonna be hot. Sometimes I laugh while I'm hanging in my hammock sweating thinking about which UQ I'm going to go with.

Images
    [QUOTE=headchange4u;18957]Crap. I will have to check on that. I can always set it up behind the tent, where it can't be seen. If they do say something I will claim ignorance and take it down. Endangered snail???

I've never stayed at the campground but I know they allow you to hang a hammock from the trees on the public beaches. I can't imagine that It would be a problem. If you feel like company one day, let me know and maybe I could come down for a few hours.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    [QUOTE=T-BACK;19025.
    I've never stayed at the campground but I know they allow you to hang a hammock from the trees on the public beaches. I can't imagine that It would be a problem. If you feel like company one day, let me know and maybe I could come down for a few hours.[/QUOTE]

that's good to hear. i'm glad i was wrong! man... that's twice this year... gotta be more careful
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts