New to forum, from Arizona

Hey,

I retire soon. Just bought a hammock for the first time. Didn't know anything about hammock camping. Always used a tent. Got an ENO onelink. Went out a week ago and realized I should have researched a bit more. It was cold, even with my thermarest pad.

Sooooo, now I see all these web pages and all this stuff and all these ideas and all these DIY projects and all this gear and all these reviews, Hennessy, warbonnet, Dutch gear, dream hammocks, UGQ, Jacks r better, hammock gear, the list goes on and on.... my brain is about to explode! I see all these great hammocks, and gear.

Well, back to my camp up in the mountains last week. My pad was just not cutting the 30s temps. Now I want to get an underquilt, soooo. Hammock gears UQ looks good but I might wait till November for a possible sale. I now also might try my hand at a newbie DIY project at doing a UQ out of the Costco down quilts till then. But wait, there's more.

YouTube is a mean little thing.... "Shug", got me wanting to make a few things. So now I need a sewing machine. Don't know which one to get....more research needed. And.... Dutch! I had to get some cool stuff from him too! How could I not... my warbonnet superfly comes to me tomorrow. But I wanna make a tarp also.. then try to do a hammock of my own.

Now back to my hammock...do I mod it? The Hennessy looks great, blackbird is AWSOME, Dutchs hammock tempts me daily...the dream hammock ... is it the sparrow, looks to cool. Wow....ok... I need to slow down. Modify the ENO with the knotty mod first, make the underquilt, and check hammock gears incubator 20 out in November, first.

When I retire in a year my wife and I are doing the AT and PCT when we can, along many other hikes.

Ok enough ranting. That's me so far. More to come.

Hi everyone...

Oh... xnrgx.... nrg is a term used for "Energy" I have used ever sense the internet was still unix based and text only.... back when we used to hook multiple modems up at home on an old 8088 ibm system with a scsi hard drive and wait for people to call my message board up. Back when Zork was king and froboz ruled the screen. My first computer was a commodore pet with a green screen monitor built in. Back when computer programming was turtle, basic and machine code. Back when my wife looked at me with glazed bewilderment and lovingly brought me pizza while my friends and I sat at the kitchen table playing D and D. Sooo, I have been NRG for a while now.
    Last edited by xnrgx; 10-17-2016 at 03:00.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome to the forums (and your new addiction) from Marietta GA. Congrats on your pending retirement, good luck on your future thru-hikes, and happy hanging!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Welcome to the site. I wouldn't worry about modding the ENO and just get a Dutch hammock for now and then decide if you want another hammock or not. It's always good to have a back up hammock or two or three .

Hammock gear makes good stuff I have the 20* UQ and TQ of theirs and they usually do a Black Friday sale also. So it would be a good idea to wait till then if you don't have to have it right now.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Welcome from far west Texas! You just missed (last weekend) the annual Arizona fall hang. It would have been a great chance for you to see a bunch of different rigs and talk about options with some great folks. You might want to consider Cave Creek as a source for a quilt. Rick does fantastic work and he is local to you. He can build you about anything you would want.

Welcome to the trees..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore. I also lived in Tucson - beautiful place!

I also don't think I'd bother modding the ENO. I'm a big fan of Dutch's hammocks - pair it with a Fronkey-style bugnet and you're ready.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome fellow Tucsonan! It can be a little daunting when you first get into hammocks, but don't worry after 8 years of hammock hanging it is still confusing!

Like you I have been around computers a long time - my "kwpapke" handle goes back to the Usenet days.

If you are looking for places to hang around Tucson, you may want to check out the Arizona Hiking Trail Guides section of my YT channel. Lots of ideas in there.

A good pad in a double-layer hammock is not a bad strategy for AZ. There are places around here where trees can be tough to find, and the ability to "go to ground" has some merit. It's cheaper than a UQ, but of course not nearly as cozy.

Happy Trails!
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Welcome fellow Tucsonan! It can be a little daunting when you first get into hammocks, but don't worry after 8 years of hammock hanging it is still confusing!

Like you I have been around computers a long time - my "kwpapke" handle goes back to the Usenet days.

If you are looking for places to hang around Tucson, you may want to check out the Arizona Hiking Trail Guides section of my YT channel. Lots of ideas in there.

A good pad in a double-layer hammock is not a bad strategy for AZ. There are places around here where trees can be tough to find, and the ability to "go to ground" has some merit. It's cheaper than a UQ, but of course not nearly as cozy.

Happy Trails!
    I agree. I have the superfly by warbonnet and the "net tent 2" by "bear paw" both weigh about 2.5 lbs total for desert camping with my wife. Very light weight and roomy. I have a few pack tents. Just figured I would try the hammock camping out. I notice there isn't any loss of weight with the hammock. But for Arizona, mt. Leamon or white mountains I will try out the hammock. When I retire we plan on starting in Colorado at 4 pass loop then go on from there till we can do the AT.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xnrgx View Post
    When I retire we plan on starting in Colorado at 4 pass loop then go on from there till we can do the AT.
    I did the Four Pass Loop in August. It's one of the most beautiful spots in the world. I did altitude training in the Chiricahuas before I went - helped a lot!
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

• + New Posts