Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    There is two things I do to prevent excessive sag. First I have my ridge line TIGHT. Currently in the HT Gamma I've been using I have a single rap ring on each side. I use a slippery girth hitch to tighten and adjust the ridge line. I'f I need to reef it even tighter I have set one side and up a second carabiner/rap ring at the tree and use the rap ring on the ridge line and the second biner/rap ring as a pulley to reef it tight. Most the time it isn't necessary, but it works if needed.

Secondly, the tarp must be independent of the hammock suspension, i.e. on it's own ridge line. Some times I even have the tarp ridge line suspended below the hammock suspension at the trees. This is when it is a long span and I know the hammock is going to settle lower, and therefore, I must have the hammock suspension high and tight at the trees.

Sure, if it's on an independent ridgeline, the issue doesn't exist.
    Was talking about the tarp being attached to the hammock straps. Anything else that can be done?

Hammock
    90 degree Gamma Hammock
    Tarp
    Rab sil III
    Insulation
    exped synmat
    Not sure if it has been mentioned here before but I just found a similar hammock vendor in Germany:
    https://crosshammock.com/

Not sure either, highly recommended though, already tried them and met the maker - putting real passion into his products!

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Interesting. It looks like a close copy of Luke's HT.

On the positive side, it probably is a good thing to see another 90* vendor for competition, inventiveness, and expand the overall awareness of the benefits of a 90*
    * I like the whoopie sling adjustable ridge line.
    * I'm not sure about the whoopie sling adjustable suspension in the upper area? For making the hammock more up right if desired? Maybe like a pseudo Amok Draumr chair mode?
    * It looks like the hammock does a reasonable job of creating a flat lay. However, my personal preference is for more support under the knees, aka the lazy S suspension, to prevent knee hyper extension discomfort.
    * Price is less than HT.
    * Suspension looks field repairable and possibly adjustable?

On the negative side, solely from my perspective, I see some inherent design weakness from looking at the pictures in the gallery and videos. Hats off to Luke for being able to communicate well in several languages .
    * Real bad job of hanging the hammock with the suspension on the wire gate side of the biners
    * It looks like it might benefit from a more lazy S suspension lay.
    * It seems the hammock is too short causing head and foot compression. Or perhaps the fellows are quite tall?
    * Pad obligatory design.
    * If the hammock design is poorly executed it is likely to not be helpful if folks have a negative experience with the Cross Hammock.
    * I wonder why some of the comments were disabled on YouTube. It is a good thing to be able to assess observations folks have.

Lastly, let me say that with Luke's encouragement I took my thoughts/modifications to a major hammock vendor. The hammock is a different niche market than Luke's ultra light backpacking niche. Unfortunately, the vendor has been so busy that it has taken MONTHS before he was able to investigate the design. The good news is that now that the vendor has had a chance to give it a go, they are sufficiently interested to the point that I have been asked not to disclose what I have been working on to others. On the downside, they also said it might take up to a couple of years before a production model was sufficiently ready for introduction....bummer. And that it is possible the vendor may decide in the end that they won't go with it...bigger bummer. So patience is the key and modus operandi.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Lastly, let me say that with Luke's encouragement I took my thoughts/modifications to a major hammock vendor. The hammock is a different niche market than Luke's ultra light backpacking niche. Unfortunately, the vendor has been so busy that it has taken MONTHS before he was able to investigate the design. The good news is that now that the vendor has had a chance to give it a go, they are sufficiently interested to the point that I have been asked not to disclose what I have been working on to others. On the downside, they also said it might take up to a couple of years before a production model was sufficiently ready for introduction....bummer. And that it is possible the vendor may decide in the end that they won't go with it...bigger bummer. So patience is the key and modus operandi.
    Sounds like you need a new vendor?

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Sounds like you need a new vendor?
    Believe me I thought about that over the months. But since I started down that road I decided it was best to be patient and stick with the horse I saddled up. I figured if my test hammocks showed back up in the mail with a polite thank you, but no thank you, note I would give another vendor who is renown for inventiveness a go.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    hang-loose there are some pictures in this thread:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ht=hammocktent

In a nutshell you find the very bottom of the suspension strands you want to shorten and mark with a sharpie. Push the suspension strand through the bead and go around the bead creating a girth hitch.
    I went ahead tinkering a bit today. Used drilled Lego heads, don't know where around here I read about it.
    Still needs some fine tuning, but I like it.
    Why's the marking important, didn't quite get that.

Cheers

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I mark it so that I know exactly where the bottom is. With the the Gamma version 1.0 it is so that you could place the bead or the figure eight knot at the very bottom underneath the wide fabric connection. It would be the same with the version two, but the suspension/fabric connection is a little different design. I hope you used smiley face Lego heads! What material are they made out of? Let us know if they pop or hold up well.

Why's it important to know where the bottom is? I just put them wherever, did I miss something?

Got some grim pirates on as well - harrrrr
    No idea about the material though. Somewhat plastic, perfectly rounded flat barrel shape, we'll see by time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast