Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    What I am saying, 'Slug, is that while there as a great many active and/or long-time HF members who are kind, welcoming, helpful, supportive, and patient with questions -- a group within which I would definitely include you yourself based on your contributions -- I do not believe that the emphasis O&B cited on being welcoming to new members is necessarily held by all. I feel there is an often-vocal minority of mostly old guard members who lament about the growth of Hammock Forums and the quality of its recent membership, who can be brusque at times toward the uninitiated rather than civil, who are sufficiently set in their ways that they choose to squelch new ideas or alternative perspectives on hiking and hammock camping out of hand rather than debate issues considerately, who are frequently self-agrandizing rather than inclusive, and who generally seem to hold as top priorities things other than making new members -- especially inexperienced ones -- feel welcome. In short, I don't feel like they really embrace "Hang Your Own Hang" at all. And that's fine; this is the Internet, not kindergarten. Personally, I feel blessed that in the year I've been a member of HF I've encountered significantly more members from the former group than the latter, but I don't choose to overlook that the latter group exists and can exert a significant counter-effect. That said, if there are those of us who want to maintain and promote a more positive and welcoming environment for all members and their contributions here on Hammock Forums, it is up to us to understand and accept that moving HF in such a direction will be the result of community resolve toward that end as opposed to any administrative policy or action. As Gandhi said, we have to be the change we wish to see in the world. This is just my opinion, but that is what my opinion is.
    Ah, I understand now. I like you, see this site as a whole very helpful. There will always be a few bad apples. Let's just keep helping the new guys and learning along the way and sharing and let the chaff fall away

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Ah, I understand now. I like you, see this site as a whole very helpful. There will always be a few bad apples. Let's just keep helping the new guys and learning along the way and sharing and let the chaff fall away
    Amen to that.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Best $10.00 you can spend annually. IMHO

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    As another newbie, I have to complain a little. Because of wealth of knowledge and the willingness to share, discuss, disagree but still HYOH, my wallet has gotten substantially lighter over the past 7 months.

In all seriousness though, compared to other forums, this one is the most welcoming of any other I belong to. Even when topics like tarp tie outs come up and the 5,000 ways to do it, everyone seems to learn something new or at least agree to have different setups. Even White Blaze seems rude comparatively. I'm actually considering learning to sew just because of the DIY section, and I've already made a Gemini underquilt and learned how to splice rope. Becoming a donating member was a no brainer, not for the hidden section so much but in an effort to give back and continue the sharing of information here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    As another newbie, I have to complain a little. Because of wealth of knowledge and the willingness to share, discuss, disagree but still HYOH, my wallet has gotten substantially lighter over the past 7 months.

In all seriousness though, compared to other forums, this one is the most welcoming of any other I belong to. Even when topics like tarp tie outs come up and the 5,000 ways to do it, everyone seems to learn something new or at least agree to have different setups. Even White Blaze seems rude comparatively. I'm actually considering learning to sew just because of the DIY section, and I've already made a Gemini underquilt and learned how to splice rope. Becoming a donating member was a no brainer, not for the hidden section so much but in an effort to give back and continue the sharing of information here.

"WE DO NOT SEW, WE THREAD INJECT.
    WE DO NOT SEW WE MAKE GEAR".

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I'm man enough to say I only wish I could sew and have the patience to make the gear that you guys can make but it takes some of us non DIYers to keep the cottage vendors in business.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    That's like saying I don't drink, I imbibe.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    That's like saying I don't drink, I imbibe.
    Yeah, 'cause I totally sew.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Yeah, 'cause I totally sew.
    Lol. I've seen your projects. You're an inspiration.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks to this thread or some like it I became a donating member. I've recently become interested in purchasing some general hiking/camping gear and want access to the forums DM only area to learn some more stuff. I've learnt an immense amount from reading threads, posting questions, and searching the non-DM area. I think the $US10 is worth it just for that and I want to give back for all I've learn. Kudos to the mods and the community, you have really helped a new comer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast