Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What type,and what size fly?

As stated on another thread,I'm a primitive fellow,I as of now plan on keeping my canvas hammock,but willing to modernize the fly.My hammock is a 4x 12 canvas,I tie it as a gathered end,with the fold it's just under 11'.I need advice on what type ( material)and size, light weight fly would be the best for my needs.
    I plan on all type season hanging,so a larger size for all weather cover is the direction I'm leaning. I know it is depending on opinions,I just need steered in the right direction.Thanks ahead of time.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    If you are using a structural ridge line on your hammock -- assuming the SRL is around 83% of your finished 11-foot hammock body length -- you will need a tarp with at least an 11-foot (approx 132") ride line length, allowing you to hang it within about 7"-8" above your hammock without brushing your hammock suspension (with a 30-degree "hangle"). Personally, I like 11-foot tarps for inclement weather over my 110" (approx 9-foot) SRL, because I can snug the tarp down closer to the hammock for protection, and, if I'm trying to stake the tarp down very close to the ground to block wind and rain, I can maintain a hammock sit height that's a few inches higher.

If you go for a longer 12-foot tarp, you'll be hanging it about 10"-11" above the ridge line of your hammock.

If you are using a hammock that has no structural ridge line, an 11-foot tarp may be just a bit too small for you in bad weather, depending upon how tightly you like to string your hammock.

Cottage vendor hex tarps such as the Simply Light Designs Trail Haven, the UGQ Hanger Widebody, or the Widerness Logics Big Daddy might be good choices for a nice, lightweight modern rain fly in a 10-foot width with your choice of 11- or 12-foot lengths, giving you fairly substantial weather protection and the option to stake out all the way to the ground with a small pack size and the option to add beaks or doors later if you decide you need them. If you know already you want a true winter tarp, check out the Winter Haven, the Winter Dream, or the Old Man Winter offerings from those same vendors...

SLD
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/105
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/213

UGQ
    http://www.undergroundquilts.com/hangers/default.html
    http://www.undergroundquilts.com/win...m/default.html

WL
    http://wildernesslogics.com/BIG-DADDY-Big-Daddy.htm
    http://wildernesslogics.com/Oldman-W...man-Winter.htm
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 10-22-2016 at 00:10.

Many thanks,lots of info,and I even understood it,I have a better grasp on what to look for now

Images
    Hello Leafer, I would add the Kelty 12x12 Tarp to your research. It is not as light weight as the top of the line silnylon tarps but the price is right (~ $69)
    and Kelty tarps are very durable and with a little practice you can set them up in many ways even a hex with full doors.
    hth
    https://kelty.com/noahs-tarp/

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Varies...
    Glad to hear that Kelty suggested. I almost bought one on Woot or Massdrop (can't remember which) but I had jus bought the TRD Cloudburst the week before.

Do you always have to set it up 'diamond' style where you only have it tied out in 2 spots on the sides? I keep waffling back and forth between the Kelty 12, a DIY Hex Kit from RBTR, and even a 4x3.5M from DDHammocks and I can't make up my mind. They are all different but I'm sure that everything at this point is shades of nuance, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In vino veritas.

Jeremiah 29:11

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Varies...
    Guess I'll find out all about the Kelty Noah's 12. Just picked one up on Groupon for $41.99. That's nearly $20 less than what I saw it for previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In vino veritas.

Jeremiah 29:11

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KINGLONESTAR View Post
    Guess I'll find out all about the Kelty Noah's 12. Just picked one up on Groupon for $41.99. That's nearly $20 less than what I saw it for previously.
    Good find. That is about the lowest I have ever seen the 12x12 go for.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    O&B's suggestion is, of course, spot on; hard to go wrong with the KN12 if the weight and pack size are acceptable to you. For years I've been using something roughly similar to the Kelty (an inexpensive Guide Gear 12x12 with the same perimeter and diagonal ridge line tie outs) for ground sleeping, hammocks, and other camping applications where you need a large weather-protected area. It's a very versatile piece of kit, if neither as light nor as "sexy" as the high-tech hammock-specific alternatives.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    O&B's suggestion is, of course, spot on; hard to go wrong with the KN12 if the weight and pack size are acceptable to you. For years I've been using something roughly similar to the Kelty (an inexpensive Guide Gear 12x12 with the same perimeter and diagonal ridge line tie outs) for ground sleeping, hammocks, and other camping applications where you need a large weather-protected area. It's a very versatile piece of kit, if neither as light nor as "sexy" as the high-tech hammock-specific alternatives.
    For myself I would pick one of the tarps you have listed kitsapcowboy. They really are 3 of my favorites.
    I only suggested the KN because the OP's material of choice for his other gear is cotton canvas. So I did not think he was concerned with weight or pack space.

Hammock
    GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by KINGLONESTAR View Post
    Glad to hear that Kelty suggested. I almost bought one on Woot or Massdrop (can't remember which) but I had jus bought the TRD Cloudburst the week before.

Do you always have to set it up 'diamond' style where you only have it tied out in 2 spots on the sides?
    No, you can go A-frame* on the Kelty Noah's 12 tarp, since there are tie-out loops in the middle of each side (as well as between that and the corners - it has a LOT of tie out loops). However, since it's a catenary cut, the distance from the middle of one side to the middle of the opposite side is not 12 feet ... on mine, it's only 10'3" or 10'6', I forget). Also, the tie-outs in the corners are more reinforced than any of the other tie-outs, including those you would use for A-frame. So you probably don't want to crank the tarp RL down with a trucker's hitch in that configuration ... maybe use some prusik knots on a ridgeline and connect from underneath, getting it taut just by hand with no mechanical advantage.

I love my Kelty tarps, but then again, I'm not an ultralighter. They're in a sweet spot of price and durability at the expense of weight. But it's not like they're heavy in absolute terms.

* You can do a lot of other configurations too. I just don't see much reason to go beyond A-frame, or A-frame with porch or doors, and diamond mode. DSCF2867.jpgDSCF3972.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast