Hammock
    11' 1.6 oz HyperD XL
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    5.0 climashield
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

How do you pack your synthetic underquilt?

Hi, looking for a bit of advise from those who've been doing this for a lot longer than I have.

How do you guys/gals pack down your synthetic under quilts? I've heard that it's a bad idea to compress the insulation any more than you'd have to.

Do you guys stuff it down as much as possible into a stuff sack? Do you roll it up and carry it outside of your pack?

Full disclosure - my DIY UQ is a bit on the XL side... I'd guess around ~72" x 54" or thereabouts with 5 oz Apex. I've made a few stuff sacks for hammocks but nothing that would be large enough for my quilt.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    DWG Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    AHE/EE/LLG/Wiggy's
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Spiders
    I use stuff sacks for packing. You just don't want to store them compressed.

This video from Paul at Arrowhead might be helpful to you.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hisVqiK5voo

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    I cram my TQ and UQ in the bottom of my pack inside a trash compactor bag liner. No stuff sack. I place my sleep shirt over that (just to keep it a little more clean) then put all my other items on top of it. The other items keep it compressed. I found stuff sacks create wasted space and weight. I only use a couple stacks, one for my cook kit and one for small personal items that tend to get lost in the pack.

Hammock
    11' Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by skyjacker View Post
    I cram my TQ and UQ in the bottom of my pack inside a trash compactor bag liner. No stuff sack. I place my sleep shirt over that (just to keep it a little more clean) then put all my other items on top of it. The other items keep it compressed. I found stuff sacks create wasted space and weight. I only use a couple stacks, one for my cook kit and one for small personal items that tend to get lost in the pack.
    Pretty much the same. Use a cuben pack liner. Quilts go in first. Clothes and hammock used to push down and compress quilts. This the top and shove the "tail" down the side.

Hammock
    Grand trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Mule Tape & 'biner
    I roll mine and lash it outside.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I use down quilts, but the wisdom of not compressing them long-term is still valid. I do as the others have posted, zstuff them into a trash compactor bag used to line my pack, with my clothes and hammock. then close it up and pack the other stuff that doesn't need to be water-proofed.

I only use stuff sacks for the little stuff that would otherwise be hard to find like lighter, batteries etc.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5
    Ditto, I shove my tq and uq in the bottom of my pack in a trash compactor bag. Folks of the sleeve better than in a stuff sack which ends up taking up less space. Only stuff sacks I use are a ditty bag, my spare clothes (which I use as a pillow), and a mesh one for my cook kit.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Poly D, Fronkey Net
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    WL TQ/TeWa UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Ditto number 3 or 4. I do the same with down or my Climashield stuffed Jarbridge. The quilt gets compressed as much as it needs to be for everything to fit in my backpack.

I store my synthetic the same as my down as well. I use $2 mesh drawstring laundry sacks, and lets the quilts live a quiet life uncompressed on the top shelf of a closet.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY CS 5.0 TQ&UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mchaz View Post
    Ditto number 3 or 4. I do the same with down or my Climashield stuffed Jarbridge. The quilt gets compressed as much as it needs to be for everything to fit in my backpack.

I store my synthetic the same as my down as well. I use $2 mesh drawstring laundry sacks, and lets the quilts live a quiet life uncompressed on the top shelf of a closet.
    Great tip on the drawstring laundry bags. I'll be picking up a few for my DIY 5.0 CS UQ and TQs. I was trying to come up with a solution that would leave them uncompressed!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    IMG_20160912_113546_hdr.jpg

the stuff sacks compress kinda small , but I think just cramming them into a plastic bag to keep them dry in the bottom of my pack saves more room than the sacks. When not in use they are laid out in my gear room though
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast