Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I use a small piece of wool cloth, in a way very similar to what my sisters used to call a "head scarf." I wrap it over my face, around my head, whatever and tie it off as I please and it works great. I also wear a down filled hat and the combination seems to work great. Have taken it down to -14 F. It is small and light enough not to be a big burden, yet the versatility of use is amazing.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gfranxman View Post
    Is that an under quilt that wraps around and velcros in that picture?
    It's a Speer PeaPod I picked it up used at less than half price a while back. I use it when temperatures are expected to drop bellow -10 in tandem with my UQ/TQ. To answer your question, it attaches to the head/foot of your hammock and velcros around the entire hammock:

Hammock
    ENO Doublewide
    Tarp
    11' Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead Jarbridg
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    I tried other coverings over my face but too restrictive. I had a great deal of pain in my sinuses for a couple of months following a -16°F night and had to come up with something. I just wanted to keep the warm air around my nose and came up with not a snorkel but what I refer to is my sockel.

Took an old comfy wool sock that was worn out and cut it heal to just before the toe area. You wear this thing around your head and breath through the section where your foot normally goes in. So the toe area is on the back of the head. Yeah it makes me laugh even describing it. Cut the calf section, the breathing tube, to what ever length you want. I roll the sock back, nose area, to stiffen it up a bit. Pick out a sock that's soft, warm and comfy. And yes, if you want you can even clean it before wearing. Attached are photos. You'll scare your self if not other campers when wearing this but it does work.
    This is brilliant! I've been trying to envision something like this for the past few weeks and just couldn't quite figure it out. I think this is just what I (almost) had in mind.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I don't really camp below 25F but I'm good down to that with nothing. I really don't like having my face covered. I'm just too pretty.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345