separate ridgeline for tarp

hello all. Just a quick question about pitching a tarp. Usually i use the HH tarp and attach it to the clips on the hammock lines. I haven't had too much trouble with sag but haven't encountered too many severe storms.

If i were to choose to attach the tarp separately (i have a JRB 8'x8') to the trees, what would be the best way to go about this. I just got the JRB tensioning lines. Should they go on the ridgeline or on the side guyouts? also, what are most of you using for a ridgeline for a separate tarp?

last but not least, what is the recommended method of attaching the tarp to the tree? i have read tautline hitch quite a few times but wanted to gather some opinions.

any other information along these lines would be extremely appreciated. thanks!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel august View Post
    I just got the JRB tensioning lines. Should they go on the ridgeline or on the side guyouts?
    The STL's are generally used for the side tie-outs. Usually the ridgeline is under a fair amount of tension - more than the STL's are built to provide. Specifically for the diamond/square tarp, tautness can be achieved more effectively from the sides than from the ridge.

what are most of you using for a ridgeline for a separate tarp?
    From what I can tell, most people don't use an actual ridgeline for their tarp. The larger-sized tarps that many seem to prefer (myself included) necessitate a seam in the material itself, which sort of creates a built-in ridgeline. You can't hang gear from it, of course, but it stays pretty much straight without needing additional support. If you're thinking about a ridgeline for gear storage, talk to slowhike. He likes his pretty well, I think, and has found some ingenious uses for it.

last but not least, what is the recommended method of attaching the tarp to the tree? i have read tautline hitch quite a few times but wanted to gather some opinions.
    You want something you can adjust easily but will hold well under a good amount of tension. The tarp will stretch, especially during bad weather, and you want to be able to retighten as neccessary while the tarp is still firmly attached to the trees. Tautline hitches work well, but on the ridge tie-outs you'll have to retie them every time you hang. I use tautlines on my side tie-outs, but use NiteIze Figure 9 gizmos on my ridge cords. If you look through the archives here, there are at least a couple threads discussing the ins and outs of the Figure 9's.

Hope that helps!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. Like BlackBishop said, the Niteize work great connecting the tarp to the tree. No knots to worry about. Get the small size:
    http://www.niteize.com/productdetail...product_id=136
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    On the ridgeline I use something that I saw Jeff do, I tie slip knots. I go from the tarp, around the tree, and then tie the slip knot around the D ring. I tie a second one as an insurance knot. Probibly not needed though.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I use a trucker's hitch on the tie outs for my ridge line. I also use auto tensioners made from shock cord, but you should use the JRB tensioners on the sides.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    if you decide you want a line inside the ridge of the tarp, i've found the best way to do that is to sew two grosgrain loops (one each end) to the under side of the tarp, a few inches from the ends of the tarp.
    then add a light line that can be used to hang stuff inside the tarp.
    if you use a continuous ridge line from tree to tree, water will find it's way under the tarp to drip on your hammock.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    if you use a continuous ridge line from tree to tree, water will find it's way under the tarp to drip on your hammock.
    Unless you put the continuous ridge line on top of the tarp.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I use 10 feet of AirCore Proj on both sides of the tarp with a Figure 9.

Before the Figure 9 I used a taughtline hitch but the AirCore was a bit too slippery for it to hold tension.

For the side tie outs I use the JRB tensioners with the AirCore Micro Tensioners.

I use this setup on my wifes JRB 8x8 and my MacCat Deluxe.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Unless you put the continuous ridge line on top of the tarp.
    true... but either way, you still have to do something to keep the tarp stretched toward the trees.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    true... but either way, you still have to do something to keep the tarp stretched toward the trees.
    Simple - 2 loops, tie Prussik knots and clip the tarp ridge tie outs to the Prussik loops. Pull the Prussiks to center and tension the tarp. You can just leave the Prussiks on the cord when you take down. If you use snake skins for the tarp, then the cord and tarp are both in the snake skins. If you use a stuff sack for the tarp, first hang the cord, then clip the tarp to the ridgeline, center and tension. Either way I just a micro-biner and bowline on one end of the cord, around tree and clip, and a Figure 9 on the other end.

• + New Posts