DD Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

Newton's Law of Gravitation.

Whoops! What an uncomfortable way to be waken up in your hammock, lol. Has this happened to anyone else in one of Dutch's hammocks? This is a 1.4 Poly D that I've had for a few years now. I've probably slept in it a dozen times or so. I was wearing swimming trunks while I was sleeping so I'm not entirely sure what caused the failure and I'm no where near the weight limit of the fabric.

How does the Hexon fabric compare to the Poly D? Looks like Dutch doesn't carry alot of Poly D hammocks anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Whoops. I wonder if this material can dry rot over time? How long have you owned it?

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Granite06 View Post

How does the Hexon fabric compare to the Poly D? Looks like Dutch doesn't carry alot of Poly D hammocks anymore.
    I think the Hexon line is an "upgrade" in every sense. I liked the PolyD line, but in my opinion Hexon is one of the top two best fabrics for hammocks that is currently on the market.

It has an exceptional feel to it and even seems more durable than the PolyD fabrics. Both the Hexon 1.0 and 1.6 fabrics make exceptional hammocks.

I wouldn't have any reservations in replacing the current hammock with one made from Hexon.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    My full time hammock is PolyD. I've lost track but I'd say I have 4-500 nights in it.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    This is a 1.4 Poly D that I've had for a few years now. I've probably slept in it a dozen times or so. I was wearing swimming trunks while I was sleeping so I'm not entirely sure what caused the failure and I'm no where near the weight limit of the fabric.
    Every fabric wears out over time, and the 1.4oz PolyD is a very lightweight fabric. In the description it said 30D, which corresponds to a 1.1oz nylon ripstop. Also, polyester is not as strong as nylon. Add time, use and possibly UV-radiation and it's no surprise that the fabric fails at some stage.

How does the Hexon fabric compare to the Poly D?
    Hexon is a nylon ripstop, and nylon always has more stretch. I'm very sensitive to stretch and haven't found a nylon ripstop under 1.9oz that I can sleep in when used for a single layer hammock. I can sleep in a single layer 1.4oz PolyD hammock, though. To me the stretch of a 1.4oz PolyD single layer hammock is comparable to a 1.0oz Robic double layer hammock. Robic is a nylon ripstop with very little stretch. Both the 1.0oz Hexon and the 1.6oz Hexon have way more stretch. The touch and feel of the Hexon is far superior to that of the PolyD - as a fact, the only other fabric with a really nice feel is HyperD. The Hexon feels cottony, the HyperD velvety.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    have you contacted Dutch before you bothered to post this here?..

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I had a similar-ish blow-out on my PolyD1.2. Mine ripped straight thru right near the whipped end though, so I assumed it was an issue with how I wrapped it etc. It looked very similar to your rip, straight and true. I think it may be an issue where there is a small tear, rip, etc. that reaches it's failure point and that causes the catastrophic failure you experienced.

I would contact Dutch and ask his opinion on it. He is always helpful and quick to respond.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I've been considering starting a thread with similar questions. For the last few years PolyD 1.4 has been my go to hammock fabric. It has the perfect amount of stretch for me. In that time I've developed holes in two separate hammocks, though no catastrophic failures like the OP. The first hole I patched with some Gear Aid tenacious tape but I've now relegated that hammock to use only from my Turtle Dog stand over grass (usually my backyard). I then made another hammock out of the same material and it's been by far my favorite hammock. That said, I've only had it about a year with maybe 15 nights on it and I have a small wear hole. I never let my hammocks touch the ground so it's either from my clothing or more likely because I packed it a few times with my Fronkey style bugnet and that's created some additional wear. I understand it's a more fragile fabric but I'm looking at other options since Dutch has discontinued the PolyD fabric. I'm scared the Hexon 1.6 will stretch too much for me and I don't really want the weight/bulk of the Hexon 2.4. Anyone have experience with RSBTR's 1.6 Oz. ripstop Polyester? I can get some of that for a great price right now so I'm tempted to make a hammock from it and hope the slightly thicker fabric is more robust with a similar amount of stretch to the PolyD 1.4. Robic would be my next thought but I really, really like the breath ability and wicking from the Polyester hammocks and I think the Robic is a bit less breathable.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Every fabric wears out over time, and the 1.4oz PolyD is a very lightweight fabric. In the description it said 30D, which corresponds to a 1.1oz nylon ripstop. Also, polyester is not as strong as nylon. Add time, use and possibly UV-radiation and it's no surprise that the fabric fails at some stage.

Hexon is a nylon ripstop, and nylon always has more stretch. I'm very sensitive to stretch and haven't found a nylon ripstop under 1.9oz that I can sleep in when used for a single layer hammock. I can sleep in a single layer 1.4oz PolyD hammock, though. To me the stretch of a 1.4oz PolyD single layer hammock is comparable to a 1.0oz Robic double layer hammock. Robic is a nylon ripstop with very little stretch. Both the 1.0oz Hexon and the 1.6oz Hexon have way more stretch. The touch and feel of the Hexon is far superior to that of the PolyD - as a fact, the only other fabric with a really nice feel is HyperD. The Hexon feels cottony, the HyperD velvety.
    Thanks hutzelbein! You are a treasure of great information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    I understand it's a more fragile fabric but I'm looking at other options since Dutch has discontinued the PolyD fabric. I'm scared the Hexon 1.6 will stretch too much for me and I don't really want the weight/bulk of the Hexon 2.4. Anyone have experience with RSBTR's 1.6 Oz. ripstop Polyester? I can get some of that for a great price right now so I'm tempted to make a hammock from it and hope the slightly thicker fabric is more robust with a similar amount of stretch to the PolyD 1.4. Robic would be my next thought but I really, really like the breath ability and wicking from the Polyester hammocks and I think the Robic is a bit less breathable.
    I don't know any other fabric that has a similar stretch as the 1.4oz PolyD when used as a single layer. I did like my single layer 1.4oz PolyD hammock, but it was too narrow for me. Due to the little stretch and slick fabric, my body wanted to keep sliding into a more diagonal position. I always wondered if a PolyD hammock would have offered a perpendicular lay if it would have been wide enough...

I did make a single layer hammock from the 1.6oz Polyester ripstop RbtR sells. It has even less stretch than the 1.4oz PolyD, and I didn't like it. I like a firm lay, but this was too firm for me. The fabric looks very robust to me, but - as the PolyD - it doesn't have as nice a touch as many of the nylon ripstops. If you were happy with the PolyD, I'd say the 1.6oz Polyester ripstop would we worth a try.

If you're willing to carry a bit more weight, you might want to try a double layer hammock made from 1.0oz HyperD or 1.0oz Robic XL, though. I really love my 1.0oz HyperD DL - it has a very firm lay, but still retains a little bit of give, similar to the 1.4oz PolyD. The 1.0oz Robic XL DL is probably even closer to the PolyD. Both fabrics won't replicate the lay the PolyD gives exactly, of course, since they're made from nylon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast