Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    Hi Goliath, I got one of those Nomad hammocks in the BCUK group buy as well. (about $40 delivered )

I lie on the diagonal and don't have as much problem as you with floppy sides. I move between lying on my back diagonally and on my side foetal (again diagonally). On my side I have 'flop' along my legs which I just see as a bit of extra insulation.

I've also added a ridge line to set a consistent sag. Originally I used some carabiners to attach this but now I just have a bowline at each end and slip the bit of black rope that came with the hammock originally.

To the black rope I have also larksheaded some rings so I can use straps to attach the hammock.

The way you have set yours up seems similar to the way some people from BCUK set there hammocks up so if It keeps you of the ground more power to you.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious that I can whip the hammock as I want to. I'll have a go at roll whipping mine like I did with my 'bigheadessy' since that way has been the kindedst to my knees.

Thanks for the replies guys; I didn't have time to read it all yet, but I will later this day!

For your information: I forgot to mention that I did try laying diagonally. It was somewhat more comfortable and the excess of the sides was noticable less, but I don't think it's comfortable enough to sleep on my side a whole night long.

About the treehuggers; it's pretty long, but not long enough to wrap it around the tree twice, but I might have an idea how to accomplish that.

Well, I'm off to school! You guys are probably sleeping right now anyway

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    My hammock is pretty wide, about 66 inches
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    What type of thread is that?
    My DoubleNest ENO is 80" and it's a bit "floppy" on the sides as well, but I get very comfortable in it when I lay down. I think it's all in how you lay in it. I lay in an "asym" manner, getting almost totally flat in mine. I wonder how a DIY hammock that will probably be only about 58 or 59" wide at the most will lay? I really do hope I can get as comfy in it when it's made as I can in my DoubleNest. Only time will tell! BTW, my first sewing lesson is this evening! Lookin forward to it!!

I was going to ask the same question as Funbun, what kind of thread is that? I don't think I've seen any orange polyester, but then again I've never been to the Netherlands.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Nice hammock and even nicer backyard....a really pleasant place to hang. I see you're from the Netherlands.

Miguel
    Thanks. Gardening is my parents passion, and sometimes I help. It's a really relaxing place in the summer, and I spend alot of time there

Anyway, I've read all the replies; thanks again!

I'll try some stuff that is mentioned here. I already thought about using tieouts, so I guess I'll be experimenting with that

About the thread: I have no idea, the hammock came from a groupbuy from another forum, so I didn't made that myself. To be honest, I don't really like the orange thread, but hey; it was cheap and pretty nice quality so I'm not complaining! I've used very, very strong thread to sew the treehuggers. You can barely break it with bare hands. If someone wants to know what kind of thread that is, I can look it up for you.

Well, I'll keep posting my results. Don't be shy to add any other comments

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    I was trying to get a picture of the thread online but I cant get it onto my camera. What I wanted to show was the reverse of the triple stitching, there's some kind loose chainlink effect there, possibly to give some give to the stitching.

Images
    It sounds like there is a long stitch pattern. That should help the seams not to weaken the fabric too much.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    you may want to try a double ring or cc buckle system so you can more easily adjust the sag while you're experimenting.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Ok, update:

I've tried several things, and I think it's just a matter of the correct sag and maybe some tieouts. I did notice that the hammock was just too large for me (I ain't a big nor heavy guy )

The weather is horrible the last couple of days, and since I don't have a tarp yet, I couldn't experiment any further.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12