Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok, I think I need some help! (a bit picture heavy)

Hello guys,

I'm 'finished' with my first partly homemade hammock for a couple of days now, but I have some problems and I need some confirmations.

My hammock is pretty wide, about 66 inches, so that might explain some things.

My problems are: the edges are too 'floppy', even when I pull the edges before the whipping. If I pull the wipping, it's very uncomfortable to get in, I don't see anything when I lay in my hammock, and last but not least; then I lay flat on my back, the sides get pulled over my face.

Also, I'd like some confirmation on my tying technique. I've mad some pics to explain it (and show off some of my work :P )

Here you can see my treehugger + biner + spectra around the only tree in my backyard :P

Here you can see the 'back' of the treehugger

I used the standard 'loops' to put the spectra through here (this is pretty much the same result as gathering the ends, whipping and not pulling the sides)

The total setup; isn't the hammock hanging too low?

The inside of the hammock, legs laying on both sides of the centerline; isn't it possible to make a somewhat larger centerline?

Situation with the sides 'loose'

Situation with the side pulled up (with my left hand, which doesn't show on the pic)

Hammock total with setup 1 (using the standard loops)

Situation with the sides pulled out, using whipping. Don't pull attention to the uncut cords, this was quickly done

Total setup 2 (with whipping and sides pulled out)

The side 'normal'

From the inside, when I lay flat on my back. As you can see, the sides are almost closing around me.

So, this was a large post, but does anyone have comments, idea's, suggestions, advice etc for me? I don't like hammocking this way

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Try adjusting the tension on your suspension setup. It looks like you might need shorter tree huggers, or just wrap them around the trees a time or two more.

Also try laying diagonally. In all the pix I see here, you're laying right down the centerline. With your feet toward the outside of one edge and your head toward the outside on the other, I think you'll find much less excess material to deal with. With the really wide material you've got, you should be able to lay pretty flat, too.

If you WANT to lay down the center and have some curve to your back (my personal choice) you don't need a hammock that wide - so you can trim some width off and save some weight.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    From the pics you seem to be lying pretty straight in the hammock. Try lying diagonally, feet on one side head and shoulders to the other side.

Edit:
    BB beat me to it. Gotta be quick on this site.

You may also move the whipping down a little more toward the ends of the hammock. I put my whipping just behind the seams on the end of the hammock. That will give you a few extra inches of length which will help lying diagonal.

Honestly with a hammock that wide you probably are going to get a little slack in the sides.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 06-13-2007 at 16:45.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Hopefully Hooch will chime in and measure his eno.

I think that an eno is not a perfect rectangle. I think that the edges are shorter (probibly on the order of an inch or so per side) than the middle. I think this is what pulls the extra tension out of the sides.

This would do the same as pulling the edges out as you do in your later pictures.

Comfort is a really subjective thing. It is an ongoing thing with me to get my exactly perfect for me. I'm pretty close now.

Adjusting the sag as BB says is a lot of it. Once you get it right, adding a ridgeline would unsure you get this everytime. The trick with the sides is getting them pulled just enough. Too tight and you get shoulder squeeze, too loose and you get what you are having.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Nice hammock and even nicer backyard....a really pleasant place to hang. I see you're from the Netherlands.

Miguel

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Hopefully Hooch will chime in and measure his eno.
    I did that earier today, measurements of the ENO SingleNest and DoubleNest are as follows:

ENO SingleNest
    Total Width 55"
    "Extension" Width 8" x 2
    Main Body Width 39"

ENO DoubleNest
    Total Width 80"
    "Extension" Width 8.5" x 2
    Main Body Width 63"

The total width measurements that I got match up on both hammocks with the measurements on ENO's website. So there ya have it, boys and girls.

Checking my measurements, both size hammocks are perfect rectangles.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    Thanks. I wonder if the size of the loop pulls the sides up? My experience with my DIY hammocks is that you have to do something from the sides it tighten them. But then again I have been wrong before in this thread.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    There's always the option of adding some side tie outs to open up the hammock and take the slack out of the sides.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    There's always the option of adding some side tie outs to open up the hammock and take the slack out of the sides.
    That's exactly what I was thinking: tie outs plus laying diagonally. I want to make a super wide hammock like this as my next hammock.

What type of thread is that?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast