Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallen1119 View Post
    So I have a couple days off this week and I decided to take a quick overnight with my wife at White Ranch. She picked up a site reservation yesterday while I was at work. Spot 20, one of my favorites! I gathered our stuff and this afternoon we packed the packs with gourmet dinner and breakfast items. At the park entrance we noted a sign about a fire ban...disappointing, but not a big deal. I had the stove and was prepared to cook on that if necessary. We arrived at the upper parking lot and slipped our packs on for the quick mile in. Upon arrival at the Sawmill campground we were greeted by a big sign saying that hanging hammocks, or anything, from trees was prohibited and a $125 fine would be imposed! Needless to say, we were TOTALLY bummed out. From the sign, it looks as if this is a new JeffCo Open Space policy!

Has anyone heard about this? There wasn't anything posted at the office that she saw. One of my favorite quick outing locations is now a "No Hang Zone".

We decided to make the best of it and had a fabulous dinner taking in the spectactual view, but we were not prepared to go to ground. We packed up and walked out. Now I am sitting at home in my bed when I could be blissfully listening to nature with my best girl hanging next to me. What is up with this? Is there anything we can do to learn more about this new policy? We are totally bummed out.

I live in the Golden/Lakewood area. It there anywhere else this close for a quick overnight?
    Is Kenosha Pass too far?
    Park at the CT seg 6 TH and walk ~1/4 mi West. When you come to a powerline tree cut turn left, leaving the CT and entering the National forest, and Walk ~1/4 miSouth up the hill.
    At the top of the hill is an old fire road. Turn right and follow the old road less than 1/2 a mile.
    Look to your left and you will see the entire South Park valley.

I don't have a summer pict but this is your view from camp.

From camp you can bushwack West 1/2 mi to get to see this.

I also gave up on White Ranch when they removed the on site registration.
    Someone with a lot of power wants to keep that place to themselves and they have finely wrote enough rules to keep just about everyone out.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 07-07-2017 at 16:46.

Kenosha isn't too far, and I might have to look closer at that area. I've done segment 5 "backwards" from Kenosha, but not 6. The aspen forests on 5 are spectacular. Lots of good hanging spots along there.

That is a pain that they ditched the show up and sign in method of registration at WR. We used to head out there after dark on weekdays and enjoy a great night. Also a pain that they locked the water pump up there. I guess we'll just delete it from our usual spots. Too many hassles now!

Hammock
    Half-Wit
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Just found out about the hammock ban in WR myself. Just happened to mention in conversation with the gal at the open space office that I sleep in a hammock and that's when she told me about the policy and potential fines. I politely explained I think it's a mistake and thanked her for her time. Oh well. Big state. Lots of trees.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Bear Butt asym
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    White ranch is managed by Jefferson County open space. Any campgrounds in JCOS or the Colorado State Park system (CPW - Colorado Parks and Wildlife) won't allow you to hang in their parks. Heck they even have a designated officer who goes out to each new geocache that is placed to make sure it complies with their guidelines. I have had no problems hanging on BLM or Forest Service land in Colorado.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234