Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    HH ULBP with Mod#2
    Tarp
    8x10 Sil
    Insulation
    Nest or HHSS

Mini shake down hike

Did an overnite in rickets glen state park in an hh using nest and 20 western bag as quilt. it was raining like crazy and was 44 out at midnight. i was using a 8x10 tarp. i stayed dry all night. i was feeling a little cold on my back when i woke at 2.30. it was raining so hard i did not want to get out to put my pad in or try adjusting my nest.i fell back asleep till 4 got up again feeling cold on my back. i was wearing 1 pair mid weight wool socks, light nylon hike pants tec shirt and fleece. looking back i should of gotten up to adjust to see how low i could of went before using pad. how low are most people getting with just there nest and top quilt and feeling comfortable?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    If you hav'nt seen this yet, this is an awesome article:
    www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Warm.htm
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I'll be out this weekend with my HH, Nest, No Sniveller, MacCat. Expecting lows in the low 40's. We'll see how my setup works.

Good report Hangman.
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Images
    I have a small thermometer on my compass. My ~20 degree bag and nest get me to 40 degrees. Every time I got cold on the bottom the thermomether would read just under 40. Add a pad and I am good at least into the teens with the right clothes.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Same as hammock engineer - I'm comfy to high 30s with just the Nest. Some tips on adjusting the Nest here:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/ColdWeatherTenLakes.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Jeff,

What do you think of this paragraph from the above JRB article?
    I seem to remember you commenting on this approach but cant remember exactly what you said. I dont see people talking about this as a viable option.

"If you are still carrying a pad use it. In addition to the standard mode in the hammock, the pad can be placed between the hammock and the under quilt. Both work well. Between the Hammock and Nest is more comfortable. Additionally, it will allow better dispersion of non-sensible sweat so that you are not in the damp pool of sweat as when directly on a non-breathable pad."

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post

"If you are still carrying a pad use it. In addition to the standard mode in the hammock, the pad can be placed between the hammock and the under quilt. Both work well. Between the Hammock and Nest is more comfortable. Additionally, it will allow better dispersion of non-sensible sweat so that you are not in the damp pool of sweat as when directly on a non-breathable pad."
    I think that's the idea with the HH Super Shelter. The Super Shelter uses a SilNylon layer under the hammock for a windbreak and uses a 1/4" open cell contoured pad for insulation. The open cell pad grips and holds other pads in place.

I use a 3/4 length ThermaRest UL pad between the open cell pad and the hammock. It has kept me warm to around 30 degrees. That's as cold as I have been able to test it. Two weeks ago on the AT it go into the upper 30's and I was warm. From 40 degrees and up I actually have to shed clothing. I took a small closed cell pad (~10"X16") for sitting on the ground. I used it inside under my knees or where ever a cool spot developed as I shifted around.

I dislike wrestling with a pad inside the hammock. It never seems to want to stay where you put it.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think putting the pad between the hammock and Nest wouldn't make you much warmer. Either it wouldn't hold the pad tightly enough to the hammock and you'd get air gaps, or it would hold the pad tightly enough but would compress the underquilt...meaning you get very little benefit from the underquilt's loft.

If I were cold and really trying to get warm, I'd bring the pad inside the hammock. And if I weren't that cold, I'd just use the Nest. Personally, I can't see a situation where putting the pad between the hammock and underquilt would be of much benefit, but then I haven't tested it thorougly either - maybe I'm missing something.

Hopefully Jack will read this soon and comment.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I think putting the pad between the hammock and Nest wouldn't make you much warmer. Either it wouldn't hold the pad tightly enough to the hammock and you'd get air gaps, or it would hold the pad tightly enough but would compress the underquilt...meaning you get very little benefit from the underquilt's loft.

If I were cold and really trying to get warm, I'd bring the pad inside the hammock. And if I weren't that cold, I'd just use the Nest. Personally, I can't see a situation where putting the pad between the hammock and underquilt would be of much benefit, but then I haven't tested it thorougly either - maybe I'm missing something.

Hopefully Jack will read this soon and comment.
    Just got back from a weekend of Hanging in SC....nite of 45 and one of 50-52...used a Nest and NS.... fleece ljs...had to remove socks and hat to avoid overheating...

First, I agree with JJ on best heat is inside....

Second , at the time of writing that article the pad imagined was a small ground pad, 10x20, 17x34 or so and or a slightly larger but more supple (thinner) hammock pad, like a 24x36 oval of GG thin and light.... Such a pad would readily snug up to the hammock over a JRB Nest with minimum tension or air pocket issues...

Third, for those of you thinking full length or 3/8 inch thick, or self inflatables I'd definately go with inside the hammock for use of these types

As always... the old adage is true.... " the devil is in the details"

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Might just try using 1 or 2 of these pads between the hammock and nest and see how low I could go temp. wise. I own 1 and it is extremely light and thin.
    http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...thinlight.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast