DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    How long is the hike in? and is there safe parking where we leave our cars?,, one last thing, do we have any sherpa's around to hire?

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    How long is the hike in? and is there safe parking where we leave our cars?,, one last thing, do we have any sherpa's around to hire?
    4 miles from the South (Batsto), 5.5 miles from the North (Atsion). Both have safe lots where you are able to leave cars, and the rangers patrol. The hike itself is an easy walk, lots of fire roads, no elevation, pretty painless. SS and I have done the walk in from Batsto in an hour and a half or less.

You can get within a mile of camp to the North before you hit the "No motorized vehicles" signs, but you're not technically supposed to park there overnight. That's vaguely near where we drop supplies, and then once we get to camp we make a handful of trips up to get everything.
    Last edited by silentorpheus; 11-02-2016 at 08:31.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    SilentOrpheus says it's 4.5 miles from Batsto Village, but this map says it's 4 miles.

http://www.njhiking.com/nj-hiking-ma...-trail-map.pdf

Parking at Atsion or Batsto is safe, or always has been. I don't recall Ratdog ever hiking in, so he usually parks about a mile from camp and then the sherpas carry the gear in from there. Njredneck is bringing his kids, so that's two sherpas for hire right there, and we usually all hike north to get a load of gear.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    SilentOrpheus says it's 4.5 miles from Batsto Village, but this map says it's 4 miles.

http://www.njhiking.com/nj-hiking-ma...-trail-map.pdf
    Yeah, I make that mistake every year (that's the trouble with cut/paste - the error keeps getting repeated). It's 9.5 miles total - 4 from Batsto, and 5.5 from Atsion. I swapped it one year, and have copied that mistake every year since. I'll adjust the initial post, and break the cycle.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I'm 50% in for Friday night. Sunday is my wedding anniversary and my absence may be unappreciated. I will be happy to reserve a site if needed.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Here's my official stance:

I plan to hike in, as I have every year since the beginning. I may or may not slack pack, since I have to make a supply drop regardless, but I'll be hiking at least 4 miles, rain or shine. Oftentimes, depending on room in the vehicles, there may be the possibility of dropping some gear for others as well - but that will depend on how packed the cars are. I would not assume that there will be room to shuttle people, as we may not know how much room will be available until the day of.

That being said, if anyone wants to risk parking overnight in the middle of the woods in order to not have to hike 4+ miles, they are more than entitled to make that decision for themselves, and we will offer no opinion for or against that course of action.

We will, however, in no way assume any responsibility for anything that may come from said decision. It's on you, for good or bad.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Ok, so i'm not trying to share too much personal stuff but yesterday i had surgery on both of my big toes, had chronic ingrown nails and had to have it taken care of once and for all, allthough this won't be a problem in the future at this time i'm really hoping to be able to get shoes and socks on without too much pain so that i can make the Loc Libre Batona hang this weekend, really really plan on getting there but the hike in for this hang is doubtful.
    I have lost a ton of wieght in the last 4/5 months and my heart and head say heck yeah, we can do it but my knees and feet may say something else so i will have to play this one by ear.
    I would really like to get some winter camping in this year but it may have to be car camping for now.We'll see..

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    That being said, if anyone wants to risk parking overnight in the middle of the woods in order to not have to hike 4+ miles, they are more than entitled to make that decision for themselves, and we will offer no opinion for or against that course of action.
    Should be safe, the woods are "officially" closed at night

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Should be safe, the woods are "officially" closed at night
    I hear ya.

Are you supposed to? Not really.

Have people done it in years past? Absolutely.

Am I, as the organizer, going to publicly encourage or endorse doing anything that goes counter to the rules of the NJ State Forest/Park System? Nope!

Images
    I'll be hiking the whole batona trail that weekend if anyone wants to join. 50 miles in 3 days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast