Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Question DIY Research: Knotty Mod Construction Details for Stretch-Side Hammocks?

Now that I've built about a dozen gathered-end hammocks of different materials, styles, and dimensions, I'm interested in building an 11-foot widebody (approximately 68") hammock with dual "Knotty Mod" stretch-side sections at the foot end.

Doing my due diligence with research and planning a priori, I am interested in any advice or discussion related to the pros and cons of specific construction detail techniques related to stretch-side hammocks. I have seen a variety of hardware used: cord locks, LineLocs, D-rings, O-rinngs, etc. I have seen shock cord threaded through the roll hem, and I have seen grosgrain channelsvsewn on (either layered inline or folded over the edge of) the hammock body. Some Knotty Mods are constructed with one end anchored to grosgrain inside the hem, while most others surface-mount their grosgrain tabs externally where the shock cord exits the hem through a melted hole. Some put the Knotty Mod holes and hardware inside the hammock; others put the holes and hardware outside.

Here are some questions I have for those members who are in the know...

1) How do the big boys do it? I know that Dutch, Wilderness Logics, Simply Light Designs, and other cottage vendors offer stretch-side gathered-end hammocks with this modification. If you own a commercial hammock with the Knotty Mod from one of these vendors, could you please describe the hardware and construction details of the stretch-side section of you hammock and/or append a photo here for the benefit of DIYers who haven't seen how the pros build them?

2) For those of you who have built Knotty Mod hammocks, what's the easiest construction method you'd suggest for someone building a stretch-side section from the ground up (i.e., as part of the initial hammock build, not a retrofit) for the first time? Any down sides to doing it the easy way?

3) For those who've build, bought, and/or used Knotty Mod hammocks, do you prefer having the holes and hardware on the inside of the hammock body or the outside (and why)?

4) What is your favorite hardware/construction method for the static and adjustable ends of your DIY Knotty Mod stretch-side sections?

Thanks in advance for you assistance. Feel free to post detail pictures of the DIY Knotty Mod sections on hammocks you own and love!

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY BlueCat
    Insulation
    PLUQ and Bag
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Hello,

I don't have anything to add - just thought I'd throw my name in the research hat because I'm debating doing this to my recent hammock builds as well. I will throw a quick link to Caveman's instructional thread. This looked easy and was the way I was thinking of going.

Thanks in advance,

Christian

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I don't have anything to add - just thought I'd throw my name in the research hat because I'm debating doing this to my recent hammock builds as well. I will throw a quick link to Caveman's instructional thread. This looked easy and was the way I was thinking of going,
    Thanks for that link; it's one I haven't seen before. Welcome to the forum from a fellow Washingtonian.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    I recently made a hammock with Knotty mods -- I put interruptions in the rolled hems at all four "corners" (both sides, head and feet ends), in case I wanted to add or switch stretchy bits. I have only one piece of shock cord installed now, at the foot end on the side I use most.

Sorry, can't answer #1, but here's my two cents on the rest:

2. I would suggest simply leaving small bits of the rolled hem on the sides open to allow for shock cord entry and exit. I studied Knotty's original instructions, but was leery of trying to put in a buttonhole first and having it not end up exactly where I wanted (and the rolled hems did prove tricky). So I just made marks - 2' from each end, and 2' in from those, for four 2' sections to be shock corded at each "corner". This is on a 10' hammock, so you'll want to adjust accordingly.

I sewed to the mark then reversed to lock, then picked up again about an inch along, reversing to within a few millimeters of the last stop and starting forward again. The only tricky part was figuring out exactly where to start forward again -- those few millimeters un-seamed were under the presser foot and thus impossible to see directly. In retrospect, making more precise marks to account for starting and stopping the seams would have helped. I ended up with a couple holes that are too big, and I'll have to go back and re-sew them smaller.

The nail-hole method in Christian's link looks easier, though I'd worry about the hole fraying or ripping without reinforcement. I was also leery of burning or punching holes after sewing, as I didn't want to make a mistake that would ruin the whole thing.

3. When I hang my hammock, I put the holes and hardware to the outside, just so they wouldn't brush up against me and be bothersome... though honestly, the cord and locks are so small I don't think I'd notice if they were on the inside. At the edges of the hammock there is very little difference between inside/outside.

4. I just used 3/32" shock cord and mini-cord locks from Dutch. (Could have gone smaller... I think there is smaller cord and locks available from Zpacks?) Tied a knot in one end, fed through, put the cord lock on the end toward the middle of the hammock for easy access. Easy and simple. My hammock is ROBIC single layer, and I want the whole thing to be as light and compact as possible, so grosgrain etc. seemed too bulky and heavy to be appealing.

Ironically, my new hammock doesn't seem to have any problem keeping my insulation and other stuff inside even without using the Knotty mod. I'm not sure whether it's the sewn channel construction giving it a slight bathtub shape, or the fact that it's just wider than my old one, but nothing has fallen out and my feet don't want to flop out, even without the shock cord being tensioned. The first night, in fact, the end knot had slipped through the too-big hole and it wasn't even doing anything, but I didn't notice! Things falling out and feet-flop were constant struggles with my old hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Extremely helpful summary, KBr00ks. Thanks for the good advice.

Images
    I use KBrOOks' method also and like it. I've discovered I never adjust the shockcord with the cordlocks so I leave them off and simply tie a bulky knot at each end. This also eliminates the extra shockcord end which always seemed to be tickling my face or poking my ear.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    I made my first diy hammock not knowing about or planning for a knotty mod. Later to eliminate the slack along the sides and form a semi footbox, I added the KM. My rolled hems along the sides were just big enough to allow me to fish small shock cord thru. I burned the holes in the hem, fished the shockcord thru and made off one end with a stopper knot and the other end with a cord lock. The KM worked great, but after a while the knots and cord locks kinda bothered me so I just whip the ends now and pull the floppyness out.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wa4chq; 11-06-2016 at 06:47.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

• + New Posts