Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images

Regular or Wide Pad???

So the pad is the last piece of gear I need to purchase for my hammock set up. I purchased the Winter Ptarmigan (thanks to Stormcrow) which is a 2/3 UQ and I need to pair it with a pad to keep my tootsies warm and coozy. Im using a WBBB DBl and am using The Burrow as my TQ. Id like the pad to be able to get me into the 25-30's with a mid weight base layer and socks. I was looking at the gosmar gear pads. Their regular width is 19 inches across. I like the Night Light Torso for $16, 3/4 thick, that should keep me warm. Just dont know if it will be wide enough across. But then I was also looking at the speer pads and the Gosmar Gear 1/4 wide. Am I gonna want a pad that is wider then 19'' across. The Gosmar Gear wide is 41 across and the Speer is 40 across. I do roll around in my sleep a lot. I figured I could always fold over one of the 1/4 thick pads if I want it to keep me warmer, and lengthning it will also make it a more comfy sit pad. Has any one used the 3/4 pad from Gosmar Gear, is that over kill if im just going to be using it in the Early spring Through late Fall. Would a 1/4 thick pad be enough warmth? Advice, guidance, show me the light
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I have used the Speer pad and that works good.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I use the GG 1/4" for 40F and up
    then I use the GG 3/8" for 40F down
    both are about 19" wide (but I don't move much)

almost positive that GG and speer pads are both the same material
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I use a 3/8" thick, 24" wide pad. I think 24" is the minimum for a hammock. A 19" or 20" wide pad just isn't enough for me. I feel it has to wrap a little bit around you as the sides of a hammock will press in on the insulation of your sleeping bag/quilt.

I use a 60 X 40 X 3/8" pad from Oware. It weighs 7oz and, in concert with my sleep system, is good to the mid-20s. Current Oware offerings are 1/4" thick.

I don't have a wide range of experience with pads...this one is the only one I've ever used in a hammock. But I've also never felt the need to try another, either. I believe the dimensions of the pad, both length and width, play a large role in the non-slip characteristic of the pad. It barely moves in the hammock...maybe because it can't. Further, I think the extra width is desireable. It cups the shoulders providing extra insulation and wind block. The only downside I've experienced is that the pad is bulky to pack.

Asking about pad performance is asking hard questions. Different pads do different things in different sleep systems...individual sleep systems differ widely as do individual sleepers. Ya' just have to test it out (hopefully before hitting the trail) to see what works for you...as a system.

FB

You might try using a CCF from an army surplus store before you commit to any one system. They usually run 24 x 72 and you can pick one up for $6-$10. I like a wide pad, so I cut the CCF in half and turned it on it's side. Two of them give me a 36 x 48 inch pad that spreads out my hammock nicely where I need insulation. You can also experiment with pad dimensions using an SPE.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    If you plan on using the 2/3 UQ you do not need a wide pad. Something in the 20" wide and 3-4' long should be good. I would use the pad in the hammock not in between the layers. This way you can move it easily to keep it under your lower legs. You can double it up for more warmth or let it roll around your feet where they may be touching the hammock. In warmer temps the pad can be shorter.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I'm actually going through this right now myself. I have a WBBB and Winter Yeti. I originally bought a GG Thinlight 1/4" Wide version. After taking it on a trip in the 20s, and using it folded over, I can say without a doubt it was overkill. I didn't use half the pad, and the material kept it from moving around. The stuff has a tacky feeling to it, but not the annoying sort of tacky. I can't help but think there's a more efficient setup than what I've been using. if you come up with anything brilliant, let us know!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    LB their is always a full length UQ other wise from what I understand (and I may be wrong) you need a pad to keep your feet warm with a 2/3 UQ. Im gonna take Hangout's advice and go buy some cheap $5 pads, cut them up and glue them every which way. Test them at at the NJ Hang and decide from their. Im thinking during the summer I can get away with a 1/8 pad, for winter 1/4.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I’ve got the GG 1/4” 41x60. Cut it down to 30x60, trim the edges and took the remaining 10x60 and cut it to two 10x30. Glued the to half’s together with an inch overhang to make it around 18x30 and put this in my foot box. If its below 50F I add an UQ. works great for me...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast