Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by JKJeeper View Post
    Id love to hear more about that! Link to the stove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Video link in here https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mmock-Hot-Tent
    equipment links are in the YT description box
    Stove comes from seekoutside.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roundtrip Raven View Post
    Oh I would test if I could, but I'm a bit lacking in the backyard part and a state that sees much snow. My method of easing will have to be jumping off the plane into the middle of the tundra
    Well jump but not too far from your vehicle/warming station then should it not work right.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Thanks bk! I had stumbled into seekoutside once you peaked my interest, solid gear?

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by JKJeeper View Post
    Thanks bk! I had stumbled into seekoutside once you peaked my interest, solid gear?

very solid but expensive after exchange and taxes.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Also Canadian, so I hear you on the dollar.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    These are some tips from Peter Pan at Jacks R Better. He posted them a few years back but they are still very valid.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...’s-Sleep
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    The October HYOH Podcast dealt specifically with cold weather camping. This Jawja boy isn't in a hurry to find out all about it- good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    For Attitude adjustment, I like to remind myself that most the mountain peaks and westward exploration took place before all this ... "stuff". When I think back to my early days - which included the common mountains in the Cascade Range (Baker, Rainier, Adams, Hood, Jefferson ...) I didn't pay much attention to gear - except ice ax, rope, campons etc. Even xc skiing into Yellowstone - basic tent, pad, sleeping bag. white gas stove. My point it that the newer gadgets are not necessary for having adventures. They may make things a little more comfortable. But cold is cold. Dress for it.

The two things I pay attention to: if I use canister fuel, I put it on an insulation pad. And note that they don't work so well at higher elevations. Also, before I turn in, I make sure there is a path packed out to the bathroom area. If you pack it down as part of making camp, it will set up solid so you won't sink in should you need to make a visit in the night. You don't want to walk away from your warm bag in your jammies and sink knee deep in snow.

Looking up for dead branches is always a good idea. But in the winter, all branches have the potential to drop a load of snow. So I might consider trees a bit further apart than I'd use in the summer. That usually requires a higher suspension which can be hindered by tree wells. So part of making camp might be to dig out some snow under when where your hammock will be. Make this nice and flat for your gear, and cooking area. Note that with snow, you compress it (walk around with snowshoes) then stay off the area for a bit (15 - 20 minutes) to let it set up. The snow will rebind stronger. That's how we'd make "quarries" for cutting snow blocks. We'd pack out an area, then go off to the side and eat a sandwich or something with the packed area sets up firmer.

But I think the best thing, if possible. Try it in your back yard so you know what you need to stay warm. Then you can go to a ski area parking lot. They usually have a restroom and you can camp in the trees a short distance away. You can bring lots of gear in your car so you can try out different things and see what works for you. Stage three would be to hike out from such comforts.

One thing I've changed to is carrying toilet paper out. In the past, I was raised to bury everything - works great in summer - but i've seen what happens when the snow melts in spring and toilet paper appears.

A "for fun" item might be a critter cam. The local outdoor store had some for sale for $40 last week. You can see visitor prints in the snow, but it might be fun to have a picture of the critter that made the prints.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    One thing I've changed to is carrying toilet paper out. In the past, I was raised to bury everything - works great in summer - but i've seen what happens when the snow melts in spring and toilet paper appears.
    A quick flick of the Bic lighter, then stand upwind Actually being on snow you probably don't need to stand there and watch the horror, but still better safe than starting a forest fire.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    On my last winter trip I found a couple of thermoses were great. I filled them with boiling water at bedtime and the water stayed hot all night. It's nice to have access to hot water on demand to warm your core.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    The October HYOH Podcast dealt specifically with cold weather camping. This Jawja boy isn't in a hurry to find out all about it- good luck!
    Thanks for that, johnspenn! it was a fun podcast to produce, with some really interesting folks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast