WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

Wind speed vs tarp

I was just curious as to how fast (mph) windspeeds the members have survived in their tarps. Also would be nice to know which tarps you utilized as well. My biggest hammocking fear is being out in the field, terrible conditions, and blazing winds followed by a tarp coming loose at the stakes, or ripping the stakes out of the ground. One thing i do if i know its gonna be REALLY bad, i tie my guyout lines to large rocks and leave some line dangling(past the rock in the direction away from the tarp), this line i stake out (double protection). OR if possible secure the line to a tree at the base. Stories?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mine were definitely on the Winnemucca trip. Friday night winds were about 20kts sustained with gusts to 50 kts (?)...I stayed in the hammock that night. Saturday night nearby Mt Diablo had measured winds of 100mph, and Tahoe had measured winds of 65-143mph. We were higher than Tahoe and on an exposed ridgeline. I bailed b/c snow was coming under my tarp and landing on my PeaPod. I bailed to a friend's tent, and in the morning my MacCat Standard was flapping around on a couple broken guy-lines.

I like to make sure my guy-lines aren't stronger than my tarp material, so it fails there first. I can repair a guy-line with a knot but it's tough to field repair a ripped tarp.

The MacCat held up like a champ.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesWinnemucca.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    nice story, i wonder, would having doors to stop the wind from flapping the tarp help? or would the speed just push in the doors and render them useless (unless they were more throughly secured). Most of the doors i've seen are not that strong IMO when it comes to strong winds. Also, site selection i think is paramount in this instance, when forecasts are bad.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Ike, with my old 10x10 tarp, I had terrible wind experiences a number of times. Before I had groundhogs, I lost a number of stakes (still one in the neighbors yard somewhere from a backyard test )

Out on the trail, I had what I know were at least 70mph gusts. It was frightening! I lost a stake in the middle of the night, and it was definitely NOT fun dealing with that! Thankfully, I found a sturdy root to tie off to, but I was pretty soaked and freezing by that time.

I know some folks place rocks on top of their stakes for extra strength, but I'm not really strong enough to carry rocks that'd be heavy enough to really do any good in that dept.

When the cruel winds blow, I do look for tree roots or heavy downed logs. Having the Groundhogs has helped tremendously, but I still carry an extra stake now anyway.

One of the biggest helps I've found for wind resistance is adding the sidewall pullouts to have the extra guys on my tarp. They not only provide extra room, but definitely extra wind stability!

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Ike, with my old 10x10 tarp, I had terrible wind experiences a number of times. Before I had groundhogs, I lost a number of stakes (still one in the neighbors yard somewhere from a backyard test )

Out on the trail, I had what I know were at least 70mph gusts. It was frightening! I lost a stake in the middle of the night, and it was definitely NOT fun dealing with that! Thankfully, I found a sturdy root to tie off to, but I was pretty soaked and freezing by that time.

I know some folks place rocks on top of their stakes for extra strength, but I'm not really strong enough to carry rocks that'd be heavy enough to really do any good in that dept.

When the cruel winds blow, I do look for tree roots or heavy downed logs. Having the Groundhogs has helped tremendously, but I still carry an extra stake now anyway.

One of the biggest helps I've found for wind resistance is adding the sidewall pullouts to have the extra guys on my tarp. They not only provide extra room, but definitely extra wind stability!
    god idea there on the side tieouts, i need to mod my tarp to add some one day, I also use groundhogs as well, offbrand that is (goinggear). They are pretty much the same though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My tarps have held fine in 70+ mph winds with gusts well exceeding that. My 'doored' tarps require a little more creative thinking sometimes. I don't use the doors to 'block' in high wind situations; I use them to deflect and partially control where the wind is going to blow. It's a sacrafice to overall comfort, but it's an acceptable balance for me when those situations arise.

Total agreement with JustJeff, always keeps your tie-out lines and connection points the weakest part of your rig. Line is cheap.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I like to make sure my guy-lines aren't stronger than my tarp material, so it fails there first. I can repair a guy-line with a knot but it's tough to field repair a ripped tarp.
    Good point. But I'm not sure how you figure that. What is the breaking strength of the line that comes with the small figure 9's and how does that compare with whatever tarp you might be using? I have no idea.

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    I also use groundhogs as well, offbrand that is (goinggear). They are pretty much the same though.
    I think that these are the same things that are sold in the Hammock Forums store. Anyone interested should check them out here on the forums.

Images
    i've laid big rocks on guyline because the stakes were in poor soil, and the wind pushing on the tarp moved the lines and caused the rock to wear through them. probably better to lay the rocks directly on the stakes themselves.

i've had my superfly in some pretty heavy wind, but i still do not have a wind guage.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I've had my SWT in pretty hard wind a couple times with no problems. If I think wind is a major concern with regard to staking out my tarp, I'll put a large rock on top of each stake or tie off directly to the rock itself. During our Maryland section hike, the soil was so rocky that Dancer, VegaMike and I tied off to rocks or to a tree every night we were out.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast