Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question Wooki versatility

Since getting my WBBBXLC last week I went to the NoVa hang this past weekend with the intent of using my winter nest. But after fiddling with it for a while, OldnWay let me use the spare HG 0° Incubator he brought and I instantly fell in love with it lol. I had been thinking of selling the WN and getting the Dutch addition 0° Incubator since its ready to ship and would match my 0° Burrow fabric & colors. But I totally forgot that Warbonet makes the winter wookie xl and it would fit my XLC perfectly without any adjustment needed. My only concern is its versatility. Will I run into the same issues with the wookie that I do with the winter nest , I.e it's designed around a certain hammock? The WN works with the BB but its got the bottom slit and just doesn't fit like an Incubator or Wookie would. Could I use the Wookie with other hammocks and still get the same fit? That's the main reason I was leaning towards the Incubator, I know it'll fit the BB and my other hammocks also. So what do you guys think? Winter wookie or 0° Incubator ??? I can afford either one as soon as I sell the winter nest.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well.....I think the Wookie is designed to fit mainly Warbonnet gear.

You maybe can make it work with some modding and fiddling.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Thanks shug, that's what I was thinking too, just wasn't totally sure. The last thing I want to be doing when its in the single digits is fiddling with my UQ trying to make it fit if I for some reason arent useing or dont have the BB anymore. I'm sure its a great quilt, I absolutely love the craftsmanship of the BBXLC, but if its just for the BB, I might just get the incubator and play it safe just incase. The WN fits OK, I used it last night, but the incubator fit much better and I like the way the baffles run the length of the quilt, as opposed to across it like the WN. The WN is a great quilt too, I just think the incubator fits the BB a little better with a little more coverage.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Well.....I think the Wookie is designed to fit mainly Warbonnet gear.

You maybe can make it work with some modding and fiddling.
    Shug
    I haven't seen one personally, but to me it appears that the Wookie is similar to an idea I had of basically making an insulated 2nd layer, that's not specifically attached to the hammock.

If that's the case, it should work with any hammock that is the same length as the hammock it was designed for (so 10ft for the regular, and 11ft for the XL).

You'll note Warbonnet states it works with BlackBird and Traveler models. The Traveller is just a simple gathered end hammock - nothing fancy.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    I haven't seen one personally, but to me it appears that the Wookie is similar to an idea I had of basically making an insulated 2nd layer, that's not specifically attached to the hammock.

If that's the case, it should work with any hammock that is the same length as the hammock it was designed for (so 10ft for the regular, and 11ft for the XL).

You'll note Warbonnet states it works with BlackBird and Traveler models. The Traveller is just a simple gathered end hammock - nothing fancy.
    Vary true, I didn't realize that. The traveler is just like my other cheap hammocks in that sense. Maybe I will take a closer look at it then. Thanks.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Well, I'll give you my two pesos. If I had to choose between what you say: 0* incubator or 0* wookieXL. I would lean toward the wookieXL because of my situation. My XLC is my go to hammock. I also bought a top cover for it. So I imagine that when I snow camp I will be using it, and therefore the "versiltility thing I know your talking about, will be less important, in my case. Since I invested in that top cover, I think we'll, If I got the UQ that was made for it, I wouldn't have to deal with some of the typical 0* UQ things like: "accordianing" OR sagging because of the wieght, quilt hooks, shock cord and the like. One wrap, one click and that's that. I also just bought a 20 incubator (which I love of course) so that does affect my decision (already have one so try a different one) type of deal. Warbonnet's stuff is Quaility total. I mean the stuff is flawless. Anyway that's what I want to do is a 0* Wook
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I guess with most UQ's, you end up paying for parts of the quilt that aren't actually under you keeping you warm in a sense and the wookie eliminates that by just having down where its going to be most effective. But with the " standard designed " quilts, you have more insulation on your sides and you can get alomost like a Coccon effect to he!p block wind and keep more heat around you. I most likely will only use my WBBBXLC from now on, so I guess versatility isn't as big of a deal as I originally thought. Although, I like how the hanging the wookie is a no brainer. Thats huge when its freezing cold or dark and a quick set up with no additional adjustment would make it easier. However, I also like that the Incubator insulates the whole hammock. I could get the exact one I want from Dutch that's ready to ship and comes with quilt hangers and RL quilt hooks. Pack size and weight aren't an issue and they both cost around the same. Maybe I'll just flipma coin lol

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Yeah, I hear you. It's a good problem to have. Having dutchs stuff available is so cool. I also like the idea of customizing. I also like the idea of having the sides insulated too. I haven't used a Wookie, maybe it does to a degree. Both are going to be amazing quilts. I like having a mix match of differs vendors. I can imagine having a matching set would also be cool too. I like the idea of stacking 3 season quilts too. It's all good fun. Good luck.
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post

Will need to be one inch or so within exact dimensions and RL length. I asked about it when it first came out.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    However, I also like that the Incubator insulates the whole hammock.
    FWIW The incubator and the wooki have roughly the same dimensions as far as insulated area goes.

Wooki: 44" x 76"
    Incubator (regular): 44" x 78"

Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    Will need to be one inch or so within exact dimensions and RL length. I asked about it when it first came out.
    Good point. The Wooki basically dictates your lay angle, which can be significantly impacted by hammock length and ridge-line length.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast