Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I really appreciated the feedback from all.

After going round and round on this - I ended up ordering an HG Burrow 20F w/ 2oz of overfill and a sewn footbox. Very excited to test it on my next trek. Will this and warmer sleeping clothes get me into the teens? I hope to test that on a snowy mountain in SoCal in the comming months. If this last weekend is any indication, we may have some wet weather (and white stuff in the mountains) this winter.

I will have my winter jackets and heavier fleece pants, and may look into a down hood. I already have a silk mummy linter and nylon UQP, but may consider a hammock winter sock like the one Dutch sells. I could also double-up with stacked quilts above and below, but I will want to test the 20F pair with these lighter tricks first.

Thanks again for the help.

-Slbear

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post
    I ended up ordering an HG Burrow 20F w/ 2oz of overfill and a sewn footbox. Very excited to test it on my next trek. Will this and warmer sleeping clothes get me into the teens?
    It wouldn't get me there but it may work fine for you as we all sleep differently. I'm a +10 guy. I want/need a quilt that is rated 10 degrees warmer than the expected lows. So if it's getting into the teens and snowy damp weather it's a Zero for me. Once your get it let us know how it performs.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    In my experience you have two situations. A short trip that you know exactly what conditions you will be expecting, and a longer trip (5 plus days) in which weather reports become unreliable.

On short trips it's easy with multiple quilt sets. You bring what you need. Bring that 20 degree topquilt and 0 degree underquilt for cold nights!

On longer trips my experience has been more problematic. Two summers ago I had a trip where I had my 40 degree quilt sets (wife and son where along) in the Virginia mountains. One night temps droppped down to 40. We all had a miserable night. It was unexpected.

Last year I built 20-30 degree quilts (haven't put them to the ultimate test to judge). In march they where great I. Shenandoah. I took them on a 7 day solo canoe trip in July in Ontario and sweltered. I compensated with no quilt, and put on base layers in middle of night. In August I did a second group trip in ontario. I sweltered on first half of trip, and at end a cold front came through. I slept in base layers and in my 20 degree quilts at a low of 40, and was super comfy. Previous years I had a 40 degree bag and survived...

I think my solution is going to be based on duration and activities. I'd rather have too much warmth! When backpacking long term in summer in Appalachia I will bring 20 degree set, and adjust as needed. This means no halfwit hammock, since I may need to be partially clothed for comfort. When canoeing in summer I will bring 20 degree UQ, and 40 degree TQ. I'll add a Costco throw to layer, since I am less worried about weight when canoeing.

If it is a short trip I'll base choices solely on the lows, and longer trips I'll plan for the worst.

Longs story short, options are good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12