WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

Big South Fork Loop Report

I have just arrived in BSF, will be done hiking 29th or possibly 30th at the latest, depending on my speed. Traveled through many "out in the middle of nowhere" places to arrive at the jordan motel, got lost twice. Total road time was around 2.5 hours. The surroundings at night (mostly interstate and fields) are'nt very attractive. Looking forward to getting out of jamestown tennesse as fast as possible, and to the trail! Will be documented with videos, going to bed now, later.

One gear question:

How do you guys like using big agnes inflatable pads in your hammocks. Right now looking at my gear, i am torn between taking my BA (r value 4.1) or my thermarest (r value 2.6) . Conditions are going to be cold, with temperatures feeling like 20. Dont want to slide off inflatable pad, and dont know if 2.6 + JRB no sniv TQ + JRB no snv UQ will be enough warmth. ike out

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Looking forward to getting out of jamestown tennesse as fast as possible
    Did you hear any bangos?

You will be fine with the thermarest.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What trails did you decide on taking in BSF. I have done about all the ones around Bandy Creek and they have some that connect to make nice loops. I know Slave Falls is nice now. The Twin Arches are also another good one to visit. Angel Falls is a terrific spot to explore also. A little work to get down to from Grand Gap but worth it.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by jbryan View Post
    What trails did you decide on taking in BSF. I have done about all the ones around Bandy Creek and they have some that connect to make nice loops. I know Slave Falls is nice now. The Twin Arches are also another good one to visit. Angel Falls is a terrific spot to explore also. A little work to get down to from Grand Gap but worth it.
    I am looking at the book now, will let you know when i decide, just wokeup in the motel. Last night i plugged in my laptop and cellphone to charge them. Blew out the wall socket! Not a good sign so far. Also the heat stopped working in the bathroom. If someone is trying to tell me something, I am not listening, lol.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe it is teling you to get out of the motel and onto the trail.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

Lightbulb Will be back

Hey everybody! Greetings from the philipines! My trip went wonderful in the Big south fork. I had a great time, i even field tested the aarn featherlite freedom and it was amazing. All of the fine tuning adjustments that can be made to the pack allow you to get a perfect fit. i ended up doing 3 nights and 4 days, and left the trail without sore hips/shoulders, i always had sore shoulders after an extended hike. it was a solo trip and i had to hike at night on the last night because I took a wrong turn (12 miles in the wrong direction!!!! ) Night hiking using my phton freedom microlight was sweet from a weight perspective, but terrible from a vision perspective. i look forward to documenting the rest of my trip for you guys, i have lots of videos and i will make a youtube clip for everyone to see. all in all i did about 40 miles and was never cold thanks to the JRB no sniv (I wore it as a jacket when night hiking in the teens)

I had no time to put the videos up yet becusae as soon as i got back, i had to leave the same morning to take a 18 hour flight to the philipines. My son has a staph infection as does my wife and sister, we are relocating to the american air base here, because of sanitary conditions and hope to all get better. i look forward to making my documentary for all you guys in 2 weeks when i get back to the states, because the only internet availibilty is a 2 hour drive from my current location. Look out for my youtube trip report in 2 weeks (when i get back to the states), it will include huge panoramas, water falls, big caves, overlooks, and of course gear reports and findings. Miss the HF community, will see you all back in 2 weeks.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    OK guys my youtube video is up, My camera died after the end of day 2 so i was unable to film a whole 2 days, things not filmed include:
    Wild boar encounter x2
    John muir trail scenery
    Deer
    Hammock setup/gear reviews
    and more =(

Sucks that I could'nt get all that stuff on camera, but I did get as much as I could before the battery died. My charger stopped working, when i wokeup at the motel i was at before the hike, my charger was off but plugged in. Darn thing. anyway, enjoy and i will be doign an HD versio sometime soon and will have it up so watch for that too. enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4uOwJTpo4Y

A gear review of the aarn featherlite freedom is my next video, so watch for that too! Also i will discuss some of the things that worked for me on this hike, what i learned, and some things that did'nt work. All this will be in the next upload, so subscribe! =P

peace

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Great area to hike. I was watching and talking to myself "dude, you just missed the ladder" . Did you head towards Station Camp from the Grand Gap loop?

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Great area to hike. I was watching and talking to myself "dude, you just missed the ladder" . Did you head towards Station Camp from the Grand Gap loop?
    Seems as though I did, i will have to look back at my trip paper work mess tomorrow and let you know. =P its a garbled mess of topos and pages. I did some connecting to the JMT, and a few shortcuts/longways in order to see what i wanted. I took grand gap loop and got back on the trail i needed to, cant remember the names, but i definately did grand gap.

thanks for sharing the video of your trip. Big South Fork is a great place to hike. One reason I like it is because not a lot of people go there.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast