Tarp
    Large hex asym
    Insulation
    Super shelter
    Suspension
    Python straps

Raised Velcro entry on Expedition Asym

Hi,
    I have an Expedition Asym bottom entry. Much better than on the ground!
    Before purchasing my own, I borrowed my friend's. On my hammock, the Velcro opening seems to be higher than the material on either side. I then have to cross my body in front of the opening. I don't recall having to do that on the borrowed hammock.
    Any suggestions? Possible that it's gathered incorrectly under the sleeve at the end?
    Thanks for your help.
    Mike

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    If it is due to a raised ridge down the middle, you probably have the hammock hung too tight. If the ridgeline is quite tight when you are in the hammock, it was hung too tight. Try leaving a little sag in the ridgeline as you hang it.

This assumes the suspension and ridgeline are stock. If the suspension has been modified you'll have to try different methods and figure it out.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Large hex asym
    Insulation
    Super shelter
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Ridgeland is slack. Stock set-up. If i figure something out I'll post with picks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Large hex asym
    Insulation
    Super shelter
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Picked up "The Ultimate Hang" and adjusted the "hang angle" accordingly. Fixed the problem.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I see you are using the SS with a mummy bag now. Don't be too quick in remove the mummy bag zipper - I find when below freezing it works best to be inside the bag, zipped up, hood on and draft collars/hood snugged up.
    I don't understand your comment on the 2008 thread about putting the space blanket down prior to mummy bag. Space blanket should be between hammock and SS foam. I tie the space blanket corners to the SS suspension at each corner and leave it on all the time. When below 40 or 35F I add insulation below the foam pad - on top of the undercover.
    Also, when below freezing I put a shammy cloth or tee shirt on top of the space blanket to absorb condensation - works great to keep condensation off the sleeping bag.

Referenced post: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=1#post1773116
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Large hex asym
    Insulation
    Super shelter
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Thanks for your interest and advice.
    Mummy bag- I wish I had a camera on me when I'm struggling into my mummy bag! I've tried climbing into it before I enter the bottom opening but that's not easy for me either. I was hoping the mummy bag without the zipper would allow me to use it like a quilt with a foot box. Doesn't the poly stuffing in the bag get compressed and therefore not as good an insulator? I'll definitely heed your advice.
    Foam pad - I cut a piece to the size recommended on another post and slide it on top of the ss pad.
    Space blanket placement - I meant to not be a knucklehead like me and place & position the ss components BEFORE putting anything in the hammock.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbyrun View Post
    Thanks for your interest and advice.
    Mummy bag- I wish I had a camera on me when I'm struggling into my mummy bag! I've tried climbing into it before I enter the bottom opening but that's not easy for me either. I was hoping the mummy bag without the zipper would allow me to use it like a quilt with a foot box. Doesn't the poly stuffing in the bag get compressed and therefore not as good an insulator? I'll definitely heed your advice.
    Foam pad - I cut a piece to the size recommended on another post and slide it on top of the ss pad.
    Space blanket placement - I meant to not be a knucklehead like me and place & position the ss components BEFORE putting anything in the hammock.
    Random thoughts:
    Removing the zipper just eliminates the possibility of ripping the hammock with it = same amount of material with or without the zipper. Some folks replace the zipper handle/tab with string to eliminate this hammock damage possibility. I've never had an issue with it.
    When using a mummy bag as a TQ, I zip it up to just below my knees and toss it in the hammock - slide it on when you need it. I have several DIY summer TQs I use above 50F, but generally from 45F to 50F I use a mummy bag as a TQ and below 45F I get inside the mummy bag. TQs are lighter and pack smaller due to less material while a mummy bag is less 'drafty' - I can move around at night and not get a chilly blast of air.
    Getting into the bag just takes practice (it's a skill you will develop over trial/error.
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Large hex asym
    Insulation
    Super shelter
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Heading out this Thursday for two nights and will try your suggestion on using the mummy bag as a TQ. Thanks again.

• + New Posts