Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strings on hammocks and more

Hello all we ordered an Xlg Brazilian.

http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/han...richammock.cfm

We also ordered an adjustable stand they suggested but the stand isn't tall enough for the hammock so we are going to order smaller ones as soon as we make sure whats been messed up on the 1 st order is all worked out. Its been a little bit of confusion so we are waiting til it all gets worked out before ordering anything else.

Adjustable stand we ordered

http://www.hammocks.com/hammock-stan...mmockstand.cfm

Anyway we are going to order this one , well probably 2 of them cause they are the shorter of all so maybe we can be sure that it won't touch the base again.

http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/han...ianhammock.cfm

In the Xlg even my bottom touches when I lay in it and I only weigh 125 to 127 lbs. Hubby is about 225 so he really bottoms out more than me.

Anyway now for my questions.
    First off you can cut the fringe off the hammocks edge with out messing up the hammock , right?
    We have cats and can't have the fringe hanging down.
    And we were hoping to cut the fringe off the edging so that we won't have to worry about the cats and the fringe.

And now for my main question.
    The ropes/ strings ( not sure which you would call them or if they actually have a name they are called ) on the hammock we bought are not all straight. The are mixed up within the haning knot and hubby says he doesn't see a way to get them straightened up so I wanted to ask if this is normal for the string/ropes to be mixed up and not totally straight on the hanging part of the hammock.

They were like that when we unpacked it and we were very careful to take it out slow and even so that we didn't mix or knot anything up just in case but they were already mixed up.

Any ideas , suggestions or anything would be greatly appreciated.

Oh forgot to mention that we really have no way of hanging it from our walls.
    The way our room is set up we have a sliding glass door which totally takes out one wall and then we have a widow on another wall which messes that up too and our room is actually to wide across to hang from one wall to another .
    And one of those walls is not a supporting wall so we weren't sure if it would work even IF we could get it across there anyway.
    Any suggestions or help that we might not know about hanging on a wall would be Greatly appreciated cause we might be looking at it all wrong .

We plan to keep the one we have and hanging it in another room or outside maybe later but IF we could use it in our room that would be Wonderful.

The kitty that sleeps with us in our room really really seems to LOVE the hammock already so I think we have a true hammock kitty! And she doesn't drag her bottome but she is only 6 lbs worth so big difference.

Anyway any ideas, suggestions, recommended sites that might help or anything else would be Greatly Appreciated.
    Thanks
    ratroo

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Alright! This is right up my alley. I sleep almost exclusively in Brazilians at home these days. I think they're the best overall hammock for the home.

First things first. Cutting the fancy tassel work off the sides of the hammocks won't harm a thing. Although, my cats have never messed with them, I can see how it might be a concern. The best Brazilians I've found all have the foo-foo stuff on them, so I've just gotten over myself and deal with it. Even if headchange4u does make fun of my pictures.

The support ropes going from hammock body to loop, do tend to get a little messy; you should play with a Mayan. Yes, they can be straightened out, but it requires a tremendous amount of patience. Straighten them by lifting some of the really 'off' looking ones (one at a time) over the loop. Eventually a pattern will emerge and it becomes fairly straight forward. I usually have to mess with them for a few minutes, even straight out of the box. If the tangles become too significant, it will create some uncomfortable spots. A few odd strands don't have any noticeable effect IMO.

Brazilians require a lot of room. I don't have any of the type in your second link, but you might get away with it. As a general rule, most stands don't work very well with Brazilian hammocks. They just aren't long enough. If you are going to go with a stand, I'd suggest finding a carpenter or metal worker from Craigslist and have them build you one. Or, you and the hubby can tackle it yourself; they aren't too tough. I find vertical posts much more effective than the angled posts of most commercial stands for my long hammocks.

The first hammock you linked was one of my first Brazilians too. I still bust it out from time to time.
    Trust nobody!

Hi Cannibal

appreciate you input .
    Was hoping to pick your brain a little more.

Is there any place we can find examples or something of the type of stand your talking about?

Hubby is very good at making things but would be helpful to get some ideas of what we are going to need to help out with getting it done.

Any pictures , patterns or instructions etc would be Great since we don't really know what we are doing or what we are looking for.

The place I ordered the hammock told me the stand would work with the hammock but it doesn't.

I hate to order another stand and two hammocks like the second one if they won't work out.
    Although with the mix up we might be getting another stand anyway.
    But thats antoher story all together.

Would really appreciate any thing at all you can share with us on how to go about making a reliable stand.

Wow I can't imagine my cats not messing with the fringe I think it would drive them bonkers! Cool that your cats don't mess with it.
    I guess we can give my guys a try and see if they mess with it or not and go from there.

Thanks
    ratroo

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Wish I could be more helpful with instructions, but I long ago switched to hanging my indoor hammocks directly from beams, trusses, and studs. My mother was told the same thing about a stand fitting her Brazilian hammock, it wasn't even close. The stand I built her was similar to one I had built myself. It is based on the Risk $25 Hammock Stand. Of course, I made all the connections permanent and beefed everything up significantly. I used 4x4s instead of 2x4s for the vertical posts.

I'm sure if the hubby is 'handy' that he'll be able to figure it out as he goes. Really nothing complicated about them. The only real challenge is aesthetics. Tell him to take a look at those plans and feel free to ask me any questions. I'll be glad to assist as best I can. I would make the minimum distance in the 15' neighborhood.
    Trust nobody!

Hello again Cannibal

I wanted to ask about how do you know where to hang from walls etc.

You said you hang from beams, trusses, and studs and how would we know the right places to hang from?

Hubby said we might be able to hang the one we have possibly but not totally sure.

But we would have to make sure we hang it from the right place which we are kind of clueless as the the proper way and places to hang them from.

We are under the impression that they have to be hung to load bearing walls .
    Is this true?

We have one wall we aren't totally sure its a load bearing wall but hubby said we might be able to hang from corner where it has more strength but we are not sure at all of all this.

What type of system do you recommend hanging by?
    What types of items would we need to hang them with?

Where do you recommend hanging them from?

How do we decide if a place would be right?

Hubby said we might be able to hang one besides where the door opens to across to the other wall but we are not sure.

Trusses, you are talking about the ceiling trusses right?

How would you go about doing this? As this might be a better way for us to go about it.

How do you know which ones to use? And where to hang .

I guess I would really appreciate you just giving us any info on how to hang them in a room so we can figure out If we can actually do it or not.
    We would much rather hang them in the room than a stand But not at the expense of wounding something in our house which I could see us doing since we are a little clueless about the whole thing.

Hubby probably has a better idea of what you are talking about but he still isn't totally sure about hanging them so anything at all that you can share with us would be very appreciated.

Any helpful sites that explain everything?

Thanks
    ratroo

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    No luck with the helpful sites; I wish.

I like hanging my rigs from the ceiling. I really don't trust walls all that much, but spent a year hanging from them. Corner to corner was my philosophy on hanging from walls. Hanging from the ceiling, IMO, puts less stress on the lumber and makes me feel more secure. The best way is to have access to the truss. This is difficult if you want to hang on the ground floor of a 2 story house. If that's the case, or if you intend to attach to the studs (wall), get yourself a good stud finder. Look for one that gives you a visual display of where the stud is and where the center point is located. The 'beepers' are garbage in my experience and should never be trusted when hanging anything of any real weight. I pre-drill a hole roughly half the diameter of the screw hook that I'm using. Then I slip something in the eye of the hook and start turning. I tighten until the eye loop is wedged against the ceiling; ie. all the way. All of our indoor hammocks are currently hung in this manner. In full disclosure, we are in a home built in the 40s. The wood is old growth with a nice dense grain. Newer wood isn't as dense and should therefore be trusted less.

If you have access to the actual truss via an attic, you can hang your rigs by drilling through the ceiling from above on either side of the truss. Then just install a U-bolt. I don't pretend to know what all the little doo-dads are called, but you will find plenty of parts at the hardware store that when put together, will provide you with a nice attachment point. This is probably the safest way, but be sure your U-bolt is solidly mounted on the truss. You don't want it sliding when you weight the hammock.

To find the right area, just hold the hammock up and get an idea of where it will 'fit'. I use short lengths of chain to join the hammock to the mount. This allows me to set my mounts a little further apart than they need to be and I adjust my hangs by moving the spot where I connect hammock to chain.

Does any of this help? I know exactly what I'm talking about, but I know it often gets lost in translation.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    BTW, I weight about 230 - 240 pounds if that was the next question.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tinker T-7 / ENO DN / WBBB
    Tarp
    Winters Dream v2
    Insulation
    JRB HR / Jarbidge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hi ratroo, I have a few pictures of my home stand that I sleep in everynight.

It was purchased at Menards for $59.00. (Castaway cotton hammock w/stand)

All I wanted was the stand but I found that it was to low to the floor in it's original configuration with my ENO and my butt was dragging which made it very hard to get in and out of.

I went to the local muffler shop and had extentions made. They bend pipe on site. Just added them to the top of the original and drilled a couple of holes.

Hope this helps you or someone that is having similiar issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys

I'll be sure to run all this by hubby tomorrow.
    We are still trying to figure out exactly what we are going to do and appreciate all the help and input as it helps us a lot esp since we have NO clue what we are doing.

Hummm the adding on to the stand we have is interesting esp since hubby can get guys at work to help him out with modifing it. I'll have to show him that and see if it can give him an ideas .

Anyway at least now we have a few more options than we did have.

I have to ask another question here.
    I was looking around again on the Hayneedle site and I noticed in a picture of one of the Lg brazilians that the girl barely fits on it and its actually larger than the ones we were thinking about trying to get next so I am curious about size and sleeping full length not just side ways.
    As I am sure we will sleep different ways but I really want to make sure which ever one we get we can sleep how ever in.

Heres the picture with the girl in the one I am talking about. It seems rather small doesn't it?

http://www.hammocks.com/hammock-pack...tablestand.cfm

Thanks so very much
    Really appreciate the input and help
    Happy Hoildays!
    ratroo

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ratroo View Post
    I have to ask another question here.
    I was looking around again on the Hayneedle site and I noticed in a picture of one of the Lg brazilians that the girl barely fits on it and its actually larger than the ones we were thinking about trying to get next so I am curious about size and sleeping full length not just side ways.
    As I am sure we will sleep different ways but I really want to make sure which ever one we get we can sleep how ever in.

Heres the picture with the girl in the one I am talking about. It seems rather small doesn't it?

http://www.hammocks.com/hammock-pack...tablestand.cfm
    This is where it's helpful to know the actual 'bed' dimensions, not just the overall hammock length. I've got a couple that must have 4' of cord on the ends; very small actual sleeping area. If you'll click the "specifications" link, you'll see the actual bed length of 7'6". That's fairly short by Brazilian standards, but some of it is just the angle the picture is taken from I suspect.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast