Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Think about it. We all sleep on a 6 to 12 inch mattress and we don’t get hot doing it. It’s the way we cover up that makes us warm up.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogollon Monster View Post
    I have a zero degree Warbonnet Wookie. I was wondering if there is a way to use it year round? One idea I had was adding several inches of leader on both ends of the UQ suspension, to purposefully loosen the fit and let more air get between the UQ and the Hammock. Any ideas?
    Since you've already dropped the big bucks on the zero finding a used 40 for summer is pretty easy and cheap.
    I would never want to lug a winter UQ around in my packpack when it is hot outside.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    The problem is the 40 Summer quilts are only top quilts. Because they are sewn through they have no differential between the inside and outside of the quilt. So it completely flattens out wherever your body touches it while in the hammock. The down is completely compressed on shoulders and butt. So if it gets down to even 65 degrees you are likely to get cold. There is a huge hole to be filled by the quilt makers here. I would buy a quilt today that was good to 50 degrees but had differential cut baffles!

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    But the 0 degree won’t make you any hotter than that thick mattress we sleep on at home, it’s just the bulk and weight that deterr me.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    The problem is the 40 Summer quilts are only top quilts. Because they are sewn through they have no differential between the inside and outside of the quilt. So it completely flattens out wherever your body touches it while in the hammock. The down is completely compressed on shoulders and butt. So if it gets down to even 65 degrees you are likely to get cold. There is a huge hole to be filled by the quilt makers here. I would buy a quilt today that was good to 50 degrees but had differential cut baffles!
    Here ya go! Loco Libre Operator series fits the bill.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Goodlord mule where do you get your info? My 6 year old stormcrow made 40 UQ is diff cut. Every top end cottage UQ vendor sells diff cut summer rated UQ's

But the 0 degree won’t make you any hotter than that thick mattress we sleep on at home, it’s just the bulk and weight that deterr me.
    Sorry I disagree here as well you will roast in a 0 UQ in summer and venting can be very tricky/pain the butt to get right.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Sorry I disagree here as well you will roast in a 0 UQ in summer and venting can be very tricky/pain the butt to get right.
    Although I haven't actually tried using my 0deg Incubator in warm weather, the way UQs wrap around the body it has got to be tricky to get it right. And then for backpackers who don't want to carry a bunch of excess weight (and associated bulk), it's far preferable to carry a small 10oz 3/4 UQ vs a 24oz full-on winter quilt.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I have slept in my 3 season Incubator dozens of times in warm weather. I don’t even vent it. No problem.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It could be like the mattress at home, but you have to consider the weather.

In your home, I'm guessing it's a constant 68-72 year round. Humidity is probably 30-45% depending on where you live and how much the heat/AC is running.

Compared to outdoors where you're on a temp/humidity rollercoaster. A swing of 20, 30 or even 50°! Cool/humid at night and warm/drier during the day. There really is no worry about the dewpoint indoors. Outside, a quick shower passing thru can crank up the humidity and discomfort so fast that a 0° quilt is the last thing you want anywhere near your body.

So in the end, give it a try but set the bar somewhat low so you're not disappointed in having to possibly by a lighter quilt.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I have slept in my 3 season Incubator dozens of times in warm weather. I don’t even vent it. No problem.
    Also, OP says "zero deg in summer," so there's that. To me, 3-season means 30 or 40deg rating, which is a heckuva lot different than zero.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast