Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Red face Sock Idea

Ok, so I'm thinking of making a hammock sock out of 1.1oz silnylon ripstop. I'm thinking of having a lightweight zipper that runs across the ridgeline with several zipper pulls to adjust ventilation for the foot/head end or even allow the sides to drape down completely and just use it as an undercover. I want to have elasic at the ends, kinda like the HH undercovers do, to keep the underside sucked up to the hammock. It'll have a slit for entry and small holes for the guylines. You could put any kind of insulation in the bottom like ccf or quilts or maybe clothes even. Does this sound like a good idea to anyone? I hear condensation is a problem with socks, but I think having zips at the top could fix that. Basically, it could be a one piece HH SS. Oh an I just though about sewing in some space blanket(or better reflective material) to the bottom to save radiant heat loss. And I bet it'd still fit in the snakeskins. I don't know anything about sewing or welding silnylon, but I think I could figure it out online. So, whatdya think?

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    Cody, I've been playing around with a similar idea, except using two layers of insultex with a layer of permaloft combined in the bottom beneath the hammock and part way up the sides. Top cover section would have one layer insultex. Have the wally world camo polyweave fabric for the outter layer/ with wally world ripstop for inner. Would have both ends up high vented. Probably have side entry door with overlapping cover entry(maybe add zipper). Would still use diamond tarp for top cover over sock. This would only be for winter weather.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think you could figure it out pretty easily...most of it online. If you've never sewn before, take a class at a nearby hobby shop. An hour or two there will save you days of hassle, and the little old ladies will love having a young man in there!

I think silnylon isn't the best option for a full sock. Maybe sil on the bottom and DWR above you, but not entirely sil. Condensation isn't too bad in most socks depending on condition, but making one from sil would probably have horrible condensation unless you kept it zipped open...and if you have to keep it zipped open you might as well not make a sock!

I think if you're going to put insulation in the bottom of the sock, you need some kind of suspension system to keep the sock snugged up against the hammock. Any air gaps between your insulation and your hammock will cause cold spots. The sock will have to fit VERY tightly to make CCF conform to your body, so that's probably not a good option. An old sleeping bag or maybe some clothes could work better, but getting rid of the air gaps will be your challenge. That's why most folks go with separate insulation and hammock socks. When you figure it out, though, be sure to post pics b/c we'll all be interested!

I think I read in another thread that you have a Hennessy. If that's the case, you won't be able to reach your zippers from inside the hammock. You might look into 2Questions/ZipperQueen's Hennessy mods to solve that issue. Otherwise, you won't be able to make any adjustments or see what critter is crawling thru you camp at night w/o getting out of your hammock.

These two pages might get you started.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTravelPod.html

Good luck on your project, and definitely post pics as you figure it out!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Jeff, after looking at your instructions for making sock, it occurred to me that you have come very close to lofting a dory!

A dory is a type of small boat that is simple, inexpensive to build and seaworthy. Dories were nested together in two stacks under the foremast on the decks of Gloucester fishing schooners. A dory is flat and narrow on the bottom, with straight, flared sides and a very narrow transom.

Your "insert" that gives your sock shoulder room is the flat bottom. The way you cut the foot end is just the way the sides of a dory come together at the bow.

What got me thinking about this is the idea of making an Insultex sock. Since there is no need to insulate the upper half, above the hammock, I thought about making only the bottom with IX... and that portion would be exactly like a dory!

More later...

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Can't wait to see it!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Socks seem promising to me. I've been reseaching materials. I'm thinking of basing the cut on the headchange HH clone, but use a light breathable fabric instead of the netting, then cut off the ends about 6 inches. Then I'll make a cut exactly down the ridgeline and attach velcro. this will let me customize ventilation or just let the sides droop down. I'm gonna use some good elastic or maybe some triptease with prusiks to hold up the bottom so it holds the insulation up against the hammock. Things sounding better? Less noobish?
    Last edited by Highstrung; 01-04-2010 at 06:46.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I wouldn't put your opening right down the ridgeline. That's how mine is and I have to twist the sock to the side to get in, then straighten it back up. Not a problem...just not the best design. My next one will have a curved zipper...kinda like looking at a Clark hammock from the side.

This will require a coil zipper rather than a tooth zipper. Well, maybe not "require" but it'll work better.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Can't wait to see it!
    ... in case you missed it.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I did see it after I made that post...thanks Mac. Looks great, and now I can't wait to see all the mods you make to it!

• + New Posts