Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Other ideas.....

- warm water bottle between the legs
    - piece of reflectix under your butt
    - hand warmer for each cheek
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I once got cold in the middle of the night and didn't want to get out, so I just put a fleece neck gaiter under my butt. It's about 8"x10" flat so it was just enough to "sit" on. It's basically two layers of fleece, so compression wasn't a problem. You could cut a piece of old fleece or wool blanket to size - larger if you tend to move around when sleeping.

That would breath so you would never have to worry about condensation. The one time I used reflectix, it was just shy of a pool of water under me!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am not sure I understand why it is that suddenly your gear that had worked in "X cold temperature" now "all of a sudden" is ineffective? Seems the heart of the matter. What gear are you insulating with?

I am a "cold sleeper" personally...example...I am comfy in my 20 degree down gear at 40 degrees...maybe on the verge of being too hot depending on what I wear. I can wear a tad warmer stuff if temps are near or below freezing and be just as warm it seems....I think for me if temps were going to be below 30 with any regularity, I would go for a zero degree rated system...or at least on the bottom for sure....

also for me when it gets at or below freezing temps, I pitch my tarp low, close all the doors on it...no wind!! maybe even use UQ protector for a bit of added warmth if temps are going to go below 30.

I like staying warm! Hope you get it figured out!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gunz View Post
    I'm not sure what you have used, but I assume an under quilt is on the list. I'm switching to a full length for cold weather. Also, I use these: https://www.amazon.com/Official-Mili...HKQGK62FJC4SED They're cheap and toasty warm. Very light and comfy to boot. Good luck.

PS. Sorry for the giant pic.

I have been looking at down pants to sleep in for an upcoming North Ga Mountain trip and for the price and relatively low weight I may give these a try. I never thought about fleece bibs. As far as the OP goes, I used to carry a fleece blanket that I would fold over two or three times and wrap around my waist (think towel after shower) before I invested in a better UQ.

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    I think you'll like the fleece bibs. The price is so low it's worth a try. I was loving mine so much I wore them around camp the next morning. Let me know how they work for you.
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    I love the fleece bibs and wear them to our Klondike Derby every winter. California winters are nothing compared to a lot of areas but snow is still cold.

Anytime I am hanging in a cold environment I bring the standard 5.0 oz Climashield UQ with the extension and I also bring my cobbled together from JC Penny down jackets UQ. I have yet to be cold with them, plus the down UQ has a great feature in that one of the jackets zips out to become a jacket.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12