Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I am sure no one here wishes to play the part of either the Condensation Nazi or the Sock Resistance; I certainly do not. Every one of my posts, no matter it's level of reason, qualification, or evidentiary support, was challenged directly and disclaimed, and as it stood I considered this thread was a poor example of the stated aims of this forum. Personally, I have no wish to help bring down the level of discussion and etiquette on Hammock Forums. My wthdrawal in the face of what I considered unwarranted zeal seemed like a logical and constructive correction of course to get this thread back on track. I am coming from th right place on this, and I'm happy to let someone else have the last word, given my minimal investment, so I hope we can all simply carry forth on topic.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi

Hammock Sock Remains a Great Cost-Effective "insulation multiplier"

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've never used a hammock sock, but that sounds like an excessively rosy prediction, replete with no mention of accompanying condensation issues.
    Not excessively rosy at all. The temperature benefits of a hammock sock has been documented by several folks with actual thermometer tests (you can find them on YouTube). Yes -- there can be condensation issues (in sub-freezing temps, this means frost issues), but those are nothing more than a minor nuisance. Your goal here is to be warm and there is no question that socks help with that quite materially. And it is definitely a very inexpensive way (perhaps THE least expensive way) to extend your existing gear to comfort at materially lower temps than you otherwise could comfortably tolerate.

I've used four different types of hammock socks at temps as low as -13°F. I frankly wouldn't want to be without a sock in really cold conditions. I consider it mandatory equipment for such situations -- but I suppose your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by altruistguy; 11-29-2016 at 11:55.

I wish I would have found this thread earlier.....

I am going to hike the AT for a couple months starting in mid March. I plan to avoid the peaks (snow) in the smokey's by skipping ahead with my goal being to hike every state eventually not every mile. Anyway, I recently became concerned I wouldn't be warm enough (I hate being cold) with my 3S Wooki and my. 20 HG Burrow. So i ordered a 0 TQ from LL with 2 oz overfill, closed footbox etc...I really don't want to be cold.

My tarp is a mamajamba (no doors), I have a top cover on my WBXLC 1.1DL. Temps in the southern AT in March April typically average low to mid 30's.

Have I totally screwed up this setup?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims2017 View Post
    I wish I would have found this thread earlier.....

I am going to hike the AT for a couple months starting in mid March. I plan to avoid the peaks (snow) in the smokey's by skipping ahead with my goal being to hike every state eventually not every mile. Anyway, I recently became concerned I wouldn't be warm enough (I hate being cold) with my 3S Wooki and my. 20 HG Burrow. So i ordered a 0 TQ from LL with 2 oz overfill, closed footbox etc...I really don't want to be cold.

My tarp is a mamajamba (no doors), I have a top cover on my WBXLC 1.1DL. Temps in the southern AT in March April typically average low to mid 30's.

Have I totally screwed up this setup?
    If you expect temps in the 30's then the Wookie should cover than just fine
    and your 0° top quilt will help. You still have plenty of time to get a warmer under quilt if you think you'll need it though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234