Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB/HG
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images

Ozark Highlands Trail section 3

Me and three buddies headed out to section 3 of the OHT for a quick overnight to burn off some Thanksgiving calories. This 19.5 mile section took us from Cherry Bend trail head to Lick Branch trail head and offered great scenery throughout.

Day one we made it up to Hare Mountain in about three hours from Cherry Bend and had lunch with a fantastic view from the highest point on the OHT

Hare Mountain view
    20161126_115853.jpg
    It was windy and pretty cold so we didn't linger as long as we would have liked but we did got some great photos. From Hare Mt. we enjoyed about 5 miles of really nice forest and views down into the Herrods Creek drainage. We arrived at Herrods creek about 2:30 (started at 9:30) after 10.5 miles of hiking and filled our water. This was the first water we had seen since we started and were glad to see it for sure. There was a nice camp spot at Herrods and we debated stopping for the night but decided to head on to Indian creek and have a short second day out. We made 4 more miles in a couple of hours and were able to make camp just before sundown.

Indian Creek low water
    20161127_082224.jpg

Indian creek has one of the best camp spots on the trail and we enjoyed the fire ring and camp furniture made of Ozark stone.

Hillbilly Lay Z Boys
    20161127_082353.jpg

Day two we took plenty of water since it had been so dry to this point but we were soon pleasantly surprised to find water in just about every little side drainage. I guess the area east of Indian creek has received more rain and water ceased to be a worry. A couple of miles brought us to the Marinoni scenic area and we slowed our pace to get plenty of photos and enjoy this great area. As usual none of my pics do it justice but trust me it's beautiful.

Moss covered bluffline at Marinoni scenic area
    20161127_103521.jpg
    After Marinoni we made our final climb of the section and started dropping to Lick Branch.

ULA Ohm at Lick Branch
    20161127_114645.jpg
    We finished up just before noon and enjoyed the scenic drive home up HWY 23.

All in all a great little overnight and just what the doctor ordered to take off some of my Thanksgiving dinner excess.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mobius_trip; 11-27-2016 at 23:19.
    "Hodor!"
    -Hodor

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks! Momma and I took a couple days in the Ozarks for our anniversary this year. It was beautiful. We did some zip lines and cave stuff, was fantastic. If you've never been on the Cosmic caverns wild tour it's a blast. Since June I've been trying to plan another trip, this time to hit the woods. I can't wait.

That's my guide on the right. I'm the tiny red spec in the middle. This guy don't do heights, and I was approximately 300+ feet above the valley. Great way to see the mountains.

Thanks for sharing I'd love to see some more of those mountains with my own eyes.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB/HG
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas_toothpick View Post
    Thanks! Momma and I took a couple days in the Ozarks for our anniversary this year. It was beautiful. We did some zip lines and cave stuff, was fantastic. If you've never been on the Cosmic caverns wild tour it's a blast. Since June I've been trying to plan another trip, this time to hit the woods. I can't wait.

That's my guide on the right. I'm the tiny red spec in the middle. This guy don't do heights, and I was approximately 300+ feet above the valley. Great way to see the mountains.

Thanks for sharing I'd love to see some more of those mountains with my own eyes.
    I've seen a lot of zip line places start up over the last 10 years but I've yet to try one. Maybe I should. It looks fun!
    Last edited by Mobius_trip; 11-28-2016 at 14:24.
    "Hodor!"
    -Hodor

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm not good with heights at all. So I planned it and told momma so there was no backing out. That's why I'm trying to push my self toward some trails with mountains. I'll feel much safer with my feet on the ground, and my head in the clouds.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Looks like a beautiful area to hike, and even to fly! Thanks for sharing guys!

• + New Posts