Hammock
    HH, AGG
    Tarp
    HHhex, WBsuperfly
    Insulation
    UGQ, diy
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!!
    +1 on becket. you can adjust right up to the loop on the hammock. never slips. to adjust, yank the end, pull up to desired adjustment, retie in 1-2 seconds. becket rules!!

Hammock
    11ft
    Tarp
    DIY or Bullfrog
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bug
    Would a kevlar strap work with the becket hitch? I've read that amsteel on amsteel can slip.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uphill View Post
    Would a kevlar strap work with the becket hitch? I've read that amsteel on amsteel can slip.
    I've had no issues with either the 3.3 or 2.2 versions. The 2.2 can get to be a bit tight, but a quick yank still frees it easily.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 Robic XL (SL, GE, 11')
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I've never seen that. Did you just come up with it or find it somewhere? Is there a name? (It's got to have an acronym to be official, you know... WS, CL, CRL, MSH etc)

That's interesting. I'll have to try that out. Thanks for sharing it.

As far as solving a short hang situation, if you did apply continuous loops to your hammock ends, you could basically apply the same method to your CL's that you do to you're WS's as shown in your picture. Have you run across that problem frequently?

FWIW For an individual hang I don't use any hardware either. I've even eliminated the toggle from the equation by tying a trucker-type hitch instead of an MSH. (Video here if interested) It's worked well for me. I do use Dutch Double Whoopie Hooks and spreader bar when hanging in tandem with my wife, though.
    I guess I just came up with it. I spent quite a while just looking around here before I had a hammock, and I decided very soon that I wanted to go hardware free. This seemed like the simplest way I could think of. But unfortunately I don't have a name or acronym for it.

I'll check out your video. I'm pretty new with all this still, so I'm sure I'll learn from it. Since I'm new, I haven't run across short hang spots too often, though there have been one or two times I've just about had my whoopies bottomed out.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    +1 on the becket hitch. I have mule tape larksheaded to my hammocks and tie the muletape to my tree straps using the becket.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Would a kevlar strap work with the becket hitch? I've read that amsteel on amsteel can slip.[/QUOTE]

Here you go. Cannot get any simpler than this. No biners, toggles, whoopies, soft shackles, or metal doodads -- nothing but two webbing pieces for a complete, go-anywhere suspension. Adjustable for trees close or far apart. Peace of mind, too simple to screw up. What more is there?

Two 3.3 Kevlar straps, 15 feet each. Loop is on one end only. Use the plain webbing end and tie the Becket hitch to the hammock closed loop. Add a second overhand knot with the loop for extra insurance if you wish.

Complete suspension for just about anywhere (before they got dirty)

MrJames 2016 KEVLAR 3.3 complete suspension.jpg

Could you go lighter with Dynaglide or something else? Probably some grams. But unless you're a thru-hiker doing thousands of miles, would you notice?

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    You know, I've always thought it would be nice to have a fixed loop at either end of the bury to assist in adjusting the whoopie sling. I wonder if we couldn't make our whoopies with two fixed loops at the hammock end, for attaching to when there's not enough room for the adjustable loop.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
    Here you go. Cannot get any simpler than this. No biners, toggles, whoopies, soft shackles, or metal doodads -- nothing but two webbing pieces for a complete, go-anywhere suspension. Adjustable for trees close or far apart. Peace of mind, too simple to screw up. What more is there?

Two 3.3 Kevlar straps, 15 feet each. Loop is on one end only. Use the plain webbing end and tie the Becket hitch to the hammock closed loop. Add a second overhand knot with the loop for extra insurance if you wish.

Complete suspension for just about anywhere (before they got dirty)

MrJames 2016 KEVLAR 3.3 complete suspension.jpg

Could you go lighter with Dynaglide or something else? Probably some grams. But unless you're a thru-hiker doing thousands of miles, would you notice?[/QUOTE]

That is a great setup. I might bite the bullet and go full on kevlar.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape

Hammocking Hack: Becket Hitch

I'm a big fan of straps with Muletape. Just be aware that when you set the Becket hitch that you do so by pulling the continuous loop. If you try and set the hitch by pulling the standing end of the Muletape it will appear to be hitched but it will slip. The result will be slipping under pressure and the Amsteel will damage the Muletape.

AntiGravity Gear did send me replacement Muletape suspension at no charge even though the problem was user error.

Hope this helps some one.

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    Thanks for the warning! I haven't had an issue...yet I'll watch for that one now!
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast