Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Majortom View Post
    You could loose some weight going with an alcohol stove instead of the jetboil.
    There are also lighter-weight inexpensive cannister stoves. You cold shave several ounces in this area.

As stated before you could leave the Kindle and read on your phone.

Also, looks like your wall charger only charges when actually plugged in, so maybe going to a beefier system that is also a battery-type recharger would be a wash i.e. take out Kindle and wall charger, add a beefy backup battery recharger for your phone, etc.

All that said, a base-weight of 11ish lbs is pretty darn good. Make sure to do lots of gear testing and prep hiking before you go to make sure you have your bases covered. You'll especially want to get out in nasty cold weather because you're guaranteed to experience some once you start your thru.

Best of luck!

Hammock
    11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps
    Knife? Would love to follow if you plan to post a journal or video account of your trip. Enjoy!!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Here's a video from a former thru hiker of the AT, as well as a PCT attempt and numerous other long distance hikes. He currently works for ZPacks. Will Wood, or Red Beard, you probably already know who he is. Some good tips.

7 Tips to Lighten Up for the Appalachian Trail
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDght4XCiyY

He agrees with us about the jet boil.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phincubator; EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I'm a big proponent of not carrying a lot of water unless needed, especially on the AT with a lot of water sources. Your budget for 5lbs of water may be conservative. I like the Katadyn befree over the Sawyer Squeeze. Lighter and better performance.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    So, without knowing how you've tested, I agree with others that you don't look quite prepared for the cold. If I knew you had more experience - and you may - then I'd say you look good! But given what I'm presuming right now, I'd say you're going to get 30 degree performance out of those 20 degree quilts, primarily because you don't have any wind protection, but also because there is a learning curve to being able to get actual rated performance out of your insulation.

The Edge is a fine tarp for overhead coverage, but won't offer much from the side, and I'm not even talking about the ends not being covered with doors. I believe your best option would be to add a sock. Your Jetboil is fine, and you're going to want that efficiency when you start because you're going to want to make a hot water bottle to put between your legs while trying to sleep. While I understand taking the Smartwater bottle due to weight, it won't hold up to the heat. I would take a small Nalgene - not full size - and use it to keep snacks close by and safe from bugs and critters when you're not using it for liquid (hot or cold). I do think you'll eventually ditch the Jetboil for some of the reasons mentioned by others, but for now, I think its a crucial component to helping you stay warm.

You'll learn quickly enough how to use your quilts, but main insulation doesn't do that much for extremities in below freezing weather. You can always tuck your hands in, but your feet will likely never get warm unless you have another way of keeping them warm. Down booties/socks would be a great investment. I notice you don't have a pillow? I like to have something under my neck, and also under my knees, but I would understand if you don't want that extra weight. However, I find that my down pillow used under my feet keeps them warmer than my down booties. At the very least, I think a lite foot/sit pad would be a good addition. (yes, even though you have a full UQ)

Let me know when you start as I'd love to get out in Feb myself - weekend only though.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Oh, and I didn't see a bear bag w/lines for hanging.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Sparrow (DH)
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    For your consideration, Delorme InReach SE. I know it adds a bit of weight, but several years ago after years of hiking I fell and broke my leg on a backpacking trip and that was one hell of a long day! I never leave home for a trip without it now. Peace of mind for me and easy to stay in touch with my Wife.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Dakotaross has a good point about the stove. One further issue is that neither alchohol nor canister stoves work that well at low temps. There are tricks to improve performance, but they are only worth so much.

A lightweight wood stove might be better to start, and switch over to an alchohol later as things warm up.

On the temp range I can tell you from personal experience that I have had to deal with mid to low 20's in Virginia on the AT in mid March. In February I think you need to assume at least teens and twenties at night in the mountains of GA and the carolina's. Probably colder. Lows during the day are likely to be below freezing at times.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Enlightened Revolt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    whew! so many responses! First thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies.

So, to address the cold weather gear situation. I have tested this setup for cold weather temps from 20-40°f. the list for cold weather gear at the start was a considerably longer list but, after testing im finding out the down jacket covers a lot of bases and with moderate amount of exercise all day i find its even a bit too warm. Also with the advice for slip on shoe spikes for traction. With my experience hiking in icy/snowy weather while in Denali and Chugach state parks in Alaska i just found that added caution and situational awareness goes a long way and i've never had to pull them out of the pack before to use them then. Also i hear the icy conditions do not last all day in GA/NC that time of year. I could be 100% wrong in that regard and if i am i can always purchase some later on.

As for the kindle, Ghashul hit the nail on the head with this one. I like the font size and screen of a kindle a lot more than my tiny bright iphone screen. also the major reason not to use the phone is that it will only be powered on for photos and phone calls.

The jetboil was a suggestion from a friend. i was going to go with an alcohol UL 5 oz stove with cup but, my friend who thru-hiked back in 2015 told me that for the added weight you do get a lot of benefits. such as, faster boil times, handy insulated cup, and measuring cup. Buuut, like a lot of things maybe ill change my mind down the line and figure the added weight isn't worth it and change my mind.

Finally, i have thought of posting videos on youtube if i get a decent video editor app on my phone.

Edit: oo for the battery question. i did at the beginning have a 1lb battery pack i was going to bring but with the kindle battery life and keeping the phone off, i can achieve a lot longer time between recharges. so, that is why im only bringing the multiple usb wall charger.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Don't overlook the small stuff, TP, sunglasses, Chapstick, glide, moleskin, ducttape, shoe inserts and gators and since your diet will be changing your stomach may need some Imodium, tums, or advil for aches and pains; back up batteries.
    Are you pretreating clothes with bug spray? Hiking poles?
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast