Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images

standard or deluxe Maccat?

Got a little xmas cash and i'm splurging for the tarp. i'm leaning toward the deluxe because it would be nice to close myself in for winter time. i also thought my son and i could double hang under one tarp. i am worried that it may limit my hanging options because of the big size.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like the Standard b/c it gives good protection, is light, and still affords good views from the hammock. Lots of folks like the Deluxe...but it really isn't so much bigger than the Standard that it would affect site selection very much. I wouldn't use that as a criteria to choose between these two particular tarps.

The Deluxe gives better protection than the Standard, but it isn't as big as the "winter tarps" that folks use to close themselves off with. It has no doors and isn't shaped where you can close the ends, like you can with a JRB 11x10 or Speer Winter Tarp. Moving up to winter tarp sizes is definitely an increase in protection, but will start to impact your site selection some.

I generally use smaller tarps like the MacCat Standard, but even under larger tarps I've only had a handful of nights where my site selection was limited by tarp size. So while I still use site selection as a consideration for which tarp to take on a trip, it comes second to weight, protection and views in my book. YMMV.

My 10 y/o son and I can both hang under a MacCat Standard. The biggest limiting factor there is the ridgeline length, and the Deluxe is 5" longer than the Standard so it would probably work better.

One note is that the shape of the MacCats make them super easy to keep a tight pitch all night. Maybe moving up to a MacCat Ultra would be a good idea for you...but you still can't close off the ends unless you add doors.

DIY doors are a pretty easy project if you're handy with a sewing machine. (I mean, with a Powered Thread Injecting Gear Manufacturing Machine. )
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I second Just Jeff's comments on the differences. We've got both and differences are fairly slight, unless you are in one of the longer hammocks like the Blackbird. In that case, the extra few inches of ridgeline on the Deluxe model makes getting the tarp well set easier. But, I usually carry my Standard size when the weather is peaceful and I'm most often in my Blackbird so it'll fit fine.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    thanks,
    maybe i'll stick with the standard. i have a HH scout with the standard tarp that it comes with that will work for him. i wouldn't take him on a trip with possible heavy rain so the scout should be fine. the standard should be fine for when i order my BB soon. i was looking at the Switchback too. i'm leaning towards the BB but the Switchback looks pretty nice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ref103 View Post
    i'm leaning towards the BB but the Switchback looks pretty nice.
    It is. Worth a look for sure.
    It's my second favorite technical hammock these days. Second to the Blackbird, but it's a close second.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    have you actually checked out the switchback? i think it looks great but was wondering about how flat you can lay. i'm short so i can lay flat it almost anything

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, I've got a single layer version of the Switchback hanging out in the snowy backyard right now. It's a very nice hammock and it is pretty darn flat. Not as flat as a Bridge hammock, but very close to the Blackbird. It's tie-out placement is similar to a HH, but they are actually in a good location compared to a HH. The bugnet that opens fully on both sides is a nice touch, as are the small pockets inside. I've spent somewhere around 20 nights or so in mine so far and I do really like it. It feels very roomy inside and provides a comfortable night's sleep. All of my quilts fit it fine, but I haven't tried using a pad in it, so don't ask.

Overall, it gets an "A" rating from me.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    well ****,
    now i'm going to be wrestling with myself over the next month on which to choose. and no i don't have the cash for both. well... if i intend to stay married.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    The obvious thing would be to try them out before buying and if your near anyone usually folks are good about letting you try it out. For myself there was nobody near me that i knew of and i was initially going for an HH explorer but switched to the Blackbird. I felt good about the decision and one thing helped, and that was i didn't see a used BB come up for sale that wasn't sold within one or two hours so if i made a mistake then it wasn't a big deal.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i actually recommend spending the extra $$$ for the deluxe. the extra 5 inches really is worth it if the rain is blowing sideways at all - it will inevidably be blowing the same direction as your ridgeline, which can soak your hammock quick.

i found myself out there a few times wishing i got the ultra

my $.02

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast