Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ

Below Freezing test hang w/ the basics /Update

The thread the other day about sleeping bags and the statement that somebody made about
    " Insullate the body not the hammock" ( or something like that) kept bouncing around.
    Every sleeping bag I have and some are expensive always seem to get wet from the dew or frost and I get a cold spot and if my arm touches the side I could feel the cold.

So on the way home yesterday I picked up one of those surplus GI Intermeadiate Weather sleeping bags. (disclaimer: this probably is not for a hiker or gram type person, but for me, A POUND HOG,, I like it.)

I set up my Grand Trunk UL lastnight @ 10pm and 30* wind was 5 mph out of the north. and frost was already everywhere. I wanted to try it with the bare basics, No tarp, no top cover, no under quilt, just the sleeping bag, a small lightweight neoprene pad and the hammock.
    For me I wore 2 pair of regulation issue Walmart crew socks, my work kakis, a t-shirt, sweat shirt, a fleece jacket and my unsulated bid overalls, and a knit cap. And I left the price tag on the sleeping bag, if I got wet or cold it was going back !!!!!

After snuggling in the mummy bag, if fit a bit tighter than my other bags, but I think the tighter fit made it warmer.

Around 1am I had to get up and practiced the art of writing my name in the frost and got a picture of the moon. My hammock stand is the kayak rack on the back of the truck and the roll bar on the Jeep.

The night sounds of the cyotes was pretty cool but over shadowed by the rumble of the Coast Guard helicopter working all night over on lake Livingston,,,,That time of night and the length of time I am sure it was a recovery and not a rescue, anyway I hope that all turns out well.

Back to the hang, the sleeping back worked out beautifully, yep, I got alot of frost on it, but not a damp or wet spot on the inside anywhere. And no cold spots on the sides and even with the thin pad on the bottom, it was comfortable, a few times I woke up and unzipped alittle.

As far as the hammock I actually sleep better in it than the Hennessys or the ENO.

My night ended @ 4am @ 27 dedrees this morning, cuz I had to get up and get ready for work,,,but by the time I get this posted, I will get stuck in that Houston trafiic and be late,,,, AGAIN......
    Last edited by Randy; 12-30-2009 at 13:35.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Well that sounds like a very impressive test, at least now you know you can make it if you don't have a tarp. Personally, I'd never go out without some kind of tarp over me. But then again, I live in a humid place and your Texas sure has different weather than where I am!! So congrats on your testing hang. One thing that I would be thinking of.. packing up your sleeping bag if you were moving along to a different camping spot for the next night...if you pack up that frozen bag, when you next unroll it, it probably will be wet from the frost melting. Maybe, if you still don't want to use a tarp, have something over the bag at night that's waterproof.
    I got a kick out of the price tag left on the sleeping bag.... that was priceless...!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nice!
    I like the cold, but you're a braver man than I. I'm a big ol weenie without my underquilt.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I have the tarps and normally hang a tarp, but I was wanting to push this sleeping bag to see how it did..With the clothes and that little pad and the bag, an under quilt and top cover was not neccessary.

Now it is supposed to rain and sleet tonight, so I will try it again, but with a tarp.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    ... Now it is supposed to rain and sleet tonight, so I will try it again, but with a tarp.
    Going "Minnie Pearl" again with the price tag?
    Attached Images Attached Images

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    So on the way home yesterday I picked up one of those surplus GI Intermeadiate Weather sleeping bags. (disclaimer: this probably is not for a hiker or gram type person, but for me, A POUND HOG,, I like it.)
    You ain't kidding. An Intermediate Cold Weather sleeping bag can be a lot of things but is probably rated to 15F and weighs about 7 1/2 pounds.

Compare that to my Eureka Casper 15 bag which weighs about 3 lbs and would be considered a bit of a heavyweight by many on this forum My -30 bag is even more of a heavyweight at almost 8 lbs.

On the plus side I'd think the center zipper works great in a hammock, and I bet the bag is very rugged...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I really like this sleepng bag, it fits me good, the outer shell is rugged, the zipper and zipper line does not get hung on the thin material like my others, the Hole cinches up very small, No velcro scraching me in the face ,,,and I really like the water resistance part.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Sounds like another successful experiment!

Is the outside of that sleeping bag covered in Scotchgard?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I don't know if it has been scotch guarded, but the water beads up on it....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast